Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
guitar4u

Default 1929 found at garage sale

I have a bit of a weird situation. I went to a garage sale that had a cute couple in their 70's. I noticed a car under a cover in the back of the garage. A little bit of talking later, I found out that it is a 1929 ford Sport coupe that the gentleman bought 40 years ago to restore. He never finished it. But he bought tons of parts, all kept in boxes. He also completed all the frame and suspention restoration, all the brakes are new. The body has been sanded and primered, but no dents or dings and I can't see any bondo. All the original steel is there. It has NO rust. He has kept it in his garage for 40 years. Pretty hard to find in Minnasota.

I guess my question is this...I want a hot rod. I am a musician and tour in my motorhome and would love to have a rod in my trailer. But this one seems too nice to make a rod out of. I am sure there is tons of put together rods out there, but this is an all original model A with all the original parts. No rust. Should be an easy restore. But the idea of having a restored car that struggles to do 60 miles an hour doesn't appeal.

After talking for a while, he decided that he could do $3500 for the car and all the parts. He has 2 windshields, an extra set of headlights, all the body parts, etc. All it really needs is the paint and upostery. He said the motor runs, but has a cracked head. He has another one new in the box. Just need to install it.

How valuable would the car be if completed original? Would it be a crime to rod this one out? MY thinking is buy the car and trade it to somebody that has a rod project and want something original. I am sure there are people in the other catagory ( Is this thing too far from original to try and restore?)

Give me some ideas. I have bought the car and will be picking it up on Tuesday.

Thanks
Russ
guitar4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
Tinker

Default Re: 1929 found at garage sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar4u View Post
MY thinking is buy the car and trade it to somebody that has a rod project and want something original.
That's not a bad idea. 3500 you'll make money flipping it to a restorer. Then get something that is in you slot.

How much money are you willing to spend to make it a hotrod? Something to think about. Your car.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Hitchhiker

Hot rodding is not a crime....except if it is a nice original car. I don't think I could ever take a complete car and part it or rod it, at least nothing that couln't be reversed. I bought the worst body I could find for my av8. If it is nice, please sell it to someone that will restore it.

Last edited by Hitchhiker; 06-05-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Pilotdave

Russ, thank you for posting about your find. I don't know what the price for that car and parts should be, but $3,500 feels low. I do know that rodding that car would be a major shame - I really like your idea of trading it for something you want. Good for you!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
guitar4u

"Hot rodding is not a crime....except if it is a nice original car."

That is EXACTLY how I feel. This car is all original and should be an easy original restore. I have a 13 year old son that I want to build a car with before he is gone to college, and I REALLY want a rod, not a musle car ( I have owned several 60's cars). But we both want to build a dropped rod with a chevy 350-350 & ford 9"rear type of thing.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
28RPU

I know how you feel. When I bought the car in my avatar I was really wanting a car to rod but this one is so original that I just can't change it. I figure if it managed to last all of these years without being cut up then I won't be the one to do it. It may have been rodded if I hadn't been the one to buy it. I say buy the car and sell it to a restorer and buy what you really want. If you want a rod then you probably don't want a sport coupe anyway.
28RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
Fred K-OR

Russ you can find a number of Fords that have allready be rodded on EBay. May want to look there for one that would fit you needs and sell what you purchased to someone that wants to restore. Could be a money maker all the way around.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
CWPASADENA

I agree with the rest. It sounds like too good of a car to Rod. There may be a better car out there for your needs.

Good original restorable cars are getting hard to find and I am sure some Model A person would really like to finish it. May be some one local could buy it and when it is all finished, they could take it by and show it to the Old Couple and may be take them for a ride. It would really make their day.

My Opinion,

Chris

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 06-05-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar4u View Post
"Hot rodding is not a crime....except if it is a nice original car."

That is EXACTLY how I feel. This car is all original and should be an easy original restore. I have a 13 year old son that I want to build a car with before he is gone to college, and I REALLY want a rod, not a musle car ( I have owned several 60's cars). But we both want to build a dropped rod with a chevy 350-350 & ford 9"rear type of thing.
I think you know what you need to do. Sometimes "we" impulse buy a car and figure out what to do with it later. I think you just needed a catalyst to get you started in the early ford hobby. For me it was a rough 1924 c cab tub, I never did anything with it, but it started it all.

BTW you should check out The HAMB board.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
wrndln

Russ,
I sent you a PM about the car.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

A look at sites such as Ebay, Craigs list, local shows and the such, show that a restored Model A is worth less than a rodded one. So if it's just a matter of making money rod it.

If you wish to have a part of history that attracts more from attendees at shows and the general public at large, restore it.

Let me give you examples;

Last September at the Adirondack Nationals in NY, out of 1500 cars registered ,50 cars are picked as favotites and invited to come again the next year. In 2010 a stock Model T huckster was one of the 50.

This past weekend there was a tribute to the troops and fund raiser for the DAV. There were cars of all types there. Hot rods, street rods, customs, some owners even bragging about the $15,000 spent on custom chroming. With all the cars there, the Peoples Choice was a stock 1930 Model A roadster.

With the price you have mentioned you could sell it for enough profit to fund your rod project and help to get another original on the road.

Good luck with the work and good to see that your son is interested in something besides computer games.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 06-05-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #12
Leathernek

For the love of Henry Ford, man, don't rod it! Preserve a piece of American history, cause these things are getting harder and harder to find. When all of the A's have been rodded, it'll be the originals that will be worth a mint! I just bought a rust bucket AA truck that I saved from being rodded- So please, save the A! -just my $0.02
Leathernek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

It sure sounds like you got a good buy on that car. You should be able to sell it to a restorer for a fair profit, then buy this car. I helped move this car so I know what it is. It's missing the engine, tranny, and driveshaft, but Larry is giving an engine with it. It's about 9 miles from me, so if you are in MN it would be close by for you. I'd buy the engine from you, so you wouldn't have to load and haul it. This car has some rust in the areas that would be cut out if you channel it, so it's ideal for a hotrod. Larry is a wheeler dealer, so he might even buy your car to resell.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #14
Roadster62

Restored or Hot Rodded it will take two years of your life and $20,000+, more if that 20G isn't in the bank as you read this.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
1930artdeco

My two cents is that since the car is all there I would not rod it. There are glass/metal bodies, frames, engines etc. out there so you can buy a kit and poof instant brand new rod.

However, since you said that you wanted to build a car with your son and you want a rod here is an idea. Why not restore this car stock wheels, paint, body etc. Then put in a hi. comp. head with dual updraft/downdraft carbs, OD and high speed rear gears? That will get you downt he road at 60 mph, you have saved a car and you have your father/son project?

Mike
Old 06-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #16
Model A Man

I see no crime in rodding it. it has been in a garage for 40 years. so if you buy it and rod it then it will be on the road instead of a garage and the stock parts can be sold to someone that is restoring a car. go for it you only live once. I will now duck as things start flying my way.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #17
SteveM

If you search ebay, Hemmings and other sources, you may find just the hot rod you are looking for.

Building your own hot rod will cost a LOT of money and time.

Hot rodding is a lot like building a race car, it's cheaper to buy someone else's trial and error than to do your own.

Sell the car and the parts and put that towards your hot rod.

A lot of work has already gone into restoring that car. It would be a shame to let all that go to waste. Someone out there will appreciate the work and will give you enough for you to make a profit on it. You can sell that person the parts or sell them on ebay.

Steve
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by model a man View Post
i see no crime in rodding it. It has been in a garage for 40 years. So if you buy it and rod it then it will be on the road instead of a garage and the stock parts can be sold to someone that is restoring a car. Go for it you only live once. I will now duck as things start flying my way.
duck
Attached Images
File Type: gif violent-smiley-017.gif (1.1 KB, 2155 views)
Old 06-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #19
guitar4u

OK, I went back to see the car with everything taken off it. It had been in his garage for 40 years and was covered in misc. WOW...She is all original with no rust. All the fender are straight and no bondo. This car has never been in an accident! The only rust I could find was some surface rust on the bottom of the rumble seat area. But it is very light surface rust. No cancer. The car looks amazing. So cool to see her out in the light. I couldn't get a car hauler today, so it will have to wait until tomorrow, but she is amazing. The head is cracked, but he bought another one and give it to me with tons of other parts. The back of my suburban is FULL!

For seeing and buying this on a whim, it sure seems like a great buy. I see rust buckets going for what I paid. He says if I change out the head it should start right up.

I guess I am a member for good!

Russ
Old 06-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #20
Skeezixx

I guess rodding or restoring depends on what you ultimately want to use the car for.

You said you are a touring musician and want to haul it on tour with you. I would guess you want to toodle around different towns you play in with style and character. You wouldn't be driving it long distances on interstate highways.

This is fine and Original Model A's certainly have character.

While restoring a car (even one as nice and complete as the one you describe) takes time and dedication. Parts are plentiful for Model As so one can work as dictated by one's bank account and time allowance.

Building a Rod requires re engineering much of the original vehicle. This takes more time, more money, and a degree of mechanical skill not always possessed by those of us not being professional engineers or mechanics.

That's why so many unfinished Street Rod projects are available with front ends welded in at wrong angles, water pipe steering linkage, Tires rubbing against fenders, and all other sorts of unsafe mods. The POs had a dream but not the skill to make it happen.

But putting an existing car, especially one as simple as an A model Ford, back together while replacing worn or faulty parts with new parts as designed by the manufacturer is a simple prospect. And I believe more economical in time and money.

If what you want to do is turn heads when you go past people, a Model A does that as well as anything.

If you want to do burnouts and make lots of noise while turning heads, then your Model A needs lots of major modifications.

JMHO
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote