Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
D's31

Default Car battery died at a stop light

My 31 Tudor started up on the first crank and took it for a drive down the road about 2-3 miles and when I came to a stop light the car stalled and the battery was dead. I currently have no ameter in the car so I just figured the battery was dead. I tried to turn it in and there was no power at all. Had to tow it home. Why is my battery going dead once I was out on the road? Tested the battery when I got home and it only read 3.1 volts. I am charging the battery right now, but would like to hear any advise of what to do next. Battery is about 2-3 years old. Hope to get back on the road tomorrow.
D's31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
P.S.

Default Re: Car battery died at a stop light

Sounds like the generator or alternator was not charging. You were running on battery the whole.time until the voltage got so low, you finally lost spark.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
Bruce Adams

You say you have no amp meter in the car. All auto electric, save for the starter, go through the amp meter. Did you Jump it there, pole to pole?
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:18 PM   #4
jm29henry

How long have you been driving with out an amp metor ? You can see f the generator is good by motoring it if it motors check your cut out but I do beleave that you need a amp metor to complete the charging system good luck let us know what you find!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:38 PM   #5
jm29henry

Check out web site model a basic it will show you how to check out your charging problem
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:06 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Slow charge the battery for several hours, like 8 hours on a 6 amp charger. It's very bad for the life of a lead/acid battery to let them get low on charge (or water).

After the battery is fully charged either install your ammeter or tie the two wires together, then start the engine. Run it at fast idle and turn on the lights. Leave the lights on and turn off the ignition. If the lights dim as the engine dies, then the generator is charging. This is a simple test which requires no tools or instruments.

You can also just connect a voltmeter to the battery and see if the voltage goes up when you start the engine and run it to fast idle.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:28 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's31 View Post
...would like to hear any advise of what to do next.
Install an ammeter.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:29 PM   #8
D's31

[QUOTE=Bruce Adams;1214468]You say you have no amp meter in the car. All auto electric, save for the starter, go through the amp meter. Did you Jump it there, pole to pole?[/QUOTE

Hi Bruce
When I bought the car it already did not have an amp meter, I have yet to install one. Not sure how it's wired. I bought the gage meter now I need instructions on how to wire it. The are 2-3 wires behind the dash the hook up to the gage just not sure what wire goes on what side of the gage. Would you happen to know?
Old 12-29-2015, 11:31 PM   #9
D's31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm29henry View Post
How long have you been driving with out an amp metor ? You can see f the generator is good by motoring it if it motors check your cut out but I do beleave that you need a amp metor to complete the charging system good luck let us know what you find!

I have the gage, but yet to install it. Need instruction on how to do that. Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-2015, 11:32 PM   #10
D's31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm29henry View Post
Check out web site model a basic it will show you how to check out your charging problem
Will do
Thanks
Old 12-29-2015, 11:36 PM   #11
D's31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Slow charge the battery for several hours, like 8 hours on a 6 amp charger. It's very bad for the life of a lead/acid battery to let them get low on charge (or water).

After the battery is fully charged either install your ammeter or tie the two wires together, then start the engine. Run it at fast idle and turn on the lights. Leave the lights on and turn off the ignition. If the lights dim as the engine dies, then the generator is charging. This is a simple test which requires no tools or instruments.

You can also just connect a voltmeter to the battery and see if the voltage goes up when you start the engine and run it to fast idle.
Thanks will try that tomorrow morning, I have the battery charging right now hope it's all charged by the morning on slow charge. I'll try the engine with the lights on before I try to install the ammeter.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:38 PM   #12
D's31

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
You realize that the ammeter is part of the charging circuit?
No surprise the battery went dead when you were not charging it. (but not in 3 miles)
Didn't do your generator any good either.

Have you looked at the wiring diagram in the Instruction Book?
I recommend it.
I didn't know that, new at this car and learning as I go. I will install the ammeter to see what happens.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:39 PM   #13
D's31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Install an ammeter.
Will do
Old 12-29-2015, 11:43 PM   #14
Jim/GA

[QUOTE=D's31;1214500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
You say you have no amp meter in the car. All auto electric, save for the starter, go through the amp meter. Did you Jump it there, pole to pole?[/QUOTE

Hi Bruce
When I bought the car it already did not have an amp meter, I have yet to install one. Not sure how it's wired. I bought the gage meter now I need instructions on how to wire it. The are 2-3 wires behind the dash the hook up to the gage just not sure what wire goes on what side of the gage. Would you happen to know?
There should be a yellow wire and a yellow/black wire back there to be connected to the ammeter. Don't sweat over which wire you put on which post. Just hook it up, and while the instrument panel is still loose, turn on the parking lights or step on the brake. If the needle swings to the discharge side, you got the wires right. If it jump up to show a charge, the wires are backwards. Reverse them. You have a 50-50 shot at getting it right the first time.

The yellow wire should be connected to the battery at the starter. So be careful that the bare end does not touch anything to ground it out. Best to temporarily disconnect the ground cable on the battery while working behind the instrument panel.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:54 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Remember that the Model A generator does not come with a voltage regulator, so any disconnect (open) in the charging circuit can let the generator go as high as 40 volts, which will quickly burn up the generator. A missing ammeter is an open in the charging circuit, unless you tie the wires together. Best to just install the meter so you can see what's happening.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #16
D's31

[QUOTE=Jim/TX/GA;1214511]
Quote:

There should be a yellow wire and a yellow/black wire back there to be connected to the ammeter. Don't sweat over which wire you put on which post. Just hook it up, and while the instrument panel is still loose, turn on the parking lights or step on the brake. If the needle swings to the discharge side, you got the wires right. If it jump up to show a charge, the wires are backwards. Reverse them. You have a 50-50 shot at getting it right the first time.

The yellow wire should be connected to the battery at the starter. So be careful that the bare end does not touch anything to ground it out. Best to temporarily disconnect the ground cable on the battery while working behind the instrument panel.
Thanks for the info will try that
Old 12-30-2015, 12:01 AM   #17
D's31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Remember that the Model A generator does not come with a voltage regulator, so any disconnect (open) in the charging circuit can let the generator go as high as 40 volts, which will quickly burn up the generator. A missing ammeter is an open in the charging circuit, unless you tie the wires together. Best to just install the meter so you can see what's happening.
Didn't know it was that inportant, that's why I been putting it off on installing one. I'll get it on there tomorrow and give updates.
Thanks
Old 12-30-2015, 12:14 AM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

[QUOTE=D's31;1214500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
You say you have no amp meter in the car. All auto electric, save for the starter, go through the amp meter. Did you Jump it there, pole to pole?[/QUOTE

Hi Bruce
Old 12-30-2015, 12:39 AM   #19
D's31

[QUOTE=Mike V. Florida;1214527]
Quote:

Thanks now I have a better idea how to hook up the ammeter
Old 12-30-2015, 03:26 AM   #20
tbirdtbird
BANNED

any make/yr of car with an ammeter will require it to complete the wiring, not just an A. In simple terms it is a series device, tho it reads via a small shunt winding

Quite odd that the PO removed the ammeter. I am suspicious of some other problem lurking. Let's hope the PO did not burn up the generator by running with no meter