Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
Don

Default Sun machine flash dim

Had a dim flash on the sun machine and just finished putting a capacitor kit and a some diodes in place of the rectifier tube..helped a little ,can see it now in the dark. Any ideas on how to brighten it up,will call Mark tomorrow and see what he says...tks
Old 12-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Sun machine flash dim

Flash tubes can last a very long time but they don't last forever. Most of these systems are high tension systems with relatively big capacitors and something to make & break the circuit to fire the flash tube. If the electronics are doing there thing then the flash tube can be suspect. Units that use a reflector can get tarnish build up on it and may need the reflector re-silvered. Lens covers can get hazy too.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Ronnieroadster

I notice on my machine if the dizzy has points the flash is not very bright. If the dizzy Im working on has an electronic conversion such as pertronix the flash is brite. So far I have not discovered the cause for the difference. Can it be the condensor being used with the points cusing the dim flash ? Not sure at this point
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
Hoop

Rotor, went through one including caps,etc. for a friend. Could not get the strobe to brighten up and did not have a spare flashtube ... figured it was weak but could not test it.

Ronnie, if you just tap the leads together, how does the strobe look ... like the points or the Petronix? I have not had a Petronix to mess with. Do you need a pulse amplifier?

(Be great if guys fooling with Sun machines would report in so we'd have some type of registry ... if you don't want to post, send me a PM.)
Old 12-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
V12Bill

I have a Sun machine of about 1957 vintage. I sent the power pack to Mark in Michigan and now have it working. My big problem is that I don't know how to use it. I have the instructions and have done a couple of V 12 distributors and a couple of 37 to 41 Ford distributors.. I guess I should install them and try them out on the road, but I don't trust what I have done. My knowledge of electronics would be lost on the head of a pin.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #6
wamnram

The life expectancy of a neon bulb is only about 15,000 hours. As they age they will lose up to 50% of their brightness. If the bulb glass appears dark or black it is nearing the end of its life.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #7
Don

Talked to Mark Sanders,the sun machine guy,says the flash tube is getting weak,mine is still useable so will use as long as it lites,Mark says he is working on a LED flash for replacement,one of these days....Hoop ,check the voltage at the flash tube under the chuck,should be about 580 vdc to ground,if you have this that's about all you can do,,,
Old 12-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #8
Hoop

Wam and Don, thanks for the information. We really need to get sharper on replacement parts and updated accessories. There is too much new stuff available for new designs on some of the components.

Bill, if we get a few guys signed on, you'll have plenty of support in learning how to use your machine ... which model is it?
Old 12-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
jake197000

dumb question.is the lens clear.they yellow with age.
jake197000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #10
Don

Mine is clear glass but flash tube is getting black
Old 12-17-2015, 07:39 PM   #11
BUBBAS IGNITION

Once upon a time i taught for Sun Electric and then Allen Testproducts . I have some of the Sun manuals and can help the training part if needed...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #12
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Rotor, went through one including caps,etc. for a friend. Could not get the strobe to brighten up and did not have a spare flashtube ... figured it was weak but could not test it.

Ronnie, if you just tap the leads together, how does the strobe look ... like the points or the Petronix? I have not had a Petronix to mess with. Do you need a pulse amplifier?

(Be great if guys fooling with Sun machines would report in so we'd have some type of registry ... if you don't want to post, send me a PM.)
Hoop to test the Pertronix, Acell or Mallory electronic modules you need to use an external 12 volt DC power source. I use two 6 volt lantern battery's in series for the external power supply. I contacted tech for each of the ignition system makers to get the proper wiring needed so I could test the dist on my old machine. Not only is the strobe flashing much brighter each cylinder is now firing extremely accurate compared to a points system.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #13
Hoop

Just like downtown. Thanks.

How about when you tap the leads together? What kind of strobe?

IMG_3461.jpg
Old 12-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #14
Fordestes

I use a ford blue tab control module in stead of the high dollar aftermarket pulse amplifiers , some have said they use a module for a volkswagen for a pulse amp,
I can use 6 volts and do Chrysler, ford ,H.E.I ,also use a 9 volt transistor battery for testing unilite set up.my machine is probably a autographed by George Washington but it does do the job. I would welcome Bubba's instruction to help me understand what I think I already know.

Last edited by Fordestes; 12-18-2015 at 10:23 AM. Reason: content
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #15
Hoop

Some of us REALLY like old Sun machines.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:21 PM   #16
petehoovie

Hey, Hoop!

Is that in your living room?! I love it!....

Nice job....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #17
Hoop

Pete, it's my wife's doing. I'm fortunate to have a gal who likes old car (and airplane) stuff as much as I do ... she really is responsible for what goes on the walls. One of her favorites is an aluminum Eddie Meyer V8-60 intake; I brought it home and in 15 minutes she had it on display.

And there really is a Sun machine permanently in our den that you see ... she doesn't care for terms like "chick cave" or "man cave" ... she says, "it's simply our home."

I told the story here one time about her laughing and betting breakfast on whether or not I would run out of gas on the way to the Moultrie Swap Meet ... as I had to "whip" the sputtering truck to the next exit and cheaper Georgia gas prices. Someone said, "Hoop, nobody has a wife like that."

... sure they do.