Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
stouchton

Default powder coating - did not turn out well, could use some thoughts

Hi Folks – looking for some advice/opinions once again.

I sent my wheels for powder coating. Prior to powder coating, they looked very good. The paint was chipped in spots, and a little rust but overall they were smooth and actually looked nearly new.

Well – they look 80 years old now. And I’m just trying to figure out if the powder coaters story has merit:

They have admitted they should have called me when they stripped them. 1 wheel is pitted to the point I would not use it (structural). 3 wheels are heavily pitted (just look bad). 1 wheel is not too bad, and the other wheel looks brand new.

They stated they were rusting under the paint, even though the paint showed no issues. I did try scraping paint from the wheels to have chips for color match and could not easily scrape any paint from the wheels.
I thought maybe the previous owner did a lot of filler work prior to painting, and the blasting process removed it – but the spokes are pitted now and could not imagine anyone doing bodywork on spokes!

And I am the paranoid type – I did not mark the wheels, and the owner of this shop had a Model A he was restoring. I originally thought these can’t be my wheels!

So to relieve my paranoia, is it possible for the wheels to be badly pitted under the paint and the paint to not show it? My experience has been when there is rust under paint, the paint bubbles or breaks free. I did not see this except for where there were chips.

Also – what are my options besides replacing the pitted wheels (I know – picture is worth a thousand words – will post a couple pics later)? I can buy new wheels, and they have already agreed to powder coat an additional 4 wheels for $45 apiece (I’m not the best negotiator…..) but new wheels are quite pricey. I could look at some used wheels, but is there a way to hide some of the pitting and re-powder coat? I guess I’m looking for the most cost effective solution to make them “passable”.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.
stouchton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: powder coating - did not turn out well, could use some thoughts

My first thought was your wheels got switched. I guess it pays to make some little mark on the inner tube area of the rim and take a picture of it, so you know you get your own wheels back. You can spend many hours per wheel to cover over pits in the rim and spokes. I'd look for better wheels and paint them yourself.

Near this area it is $40 to blast and powdercoat each wheel.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
hardtimes

Wow, bummer. On the one hand, IF your wheels were structurally not sound, the guy did you a favor by revealing such. On the other hand ,if the guy is the type human that would take your wheels and substitute his crappy set, he did you wrong. Problem is you did not mark your wheels for positive id and there is now no way, other than suspicion that he may have done wrong. Check on his business to see if good or bad rep, something that should be done beforehand, eh !
I'd count my loss and move on, if you can not prove anything foul was afoot !! And, I'd most likely use another powder coater, if you do not trust this guy. Good luck.

Last edited by hardtimes; 03-26-2015 at 10:10 AM. Reason: ........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
Kevin in NJ

Yes, you can have wonderful looking paint and pure rust underneath.

I needed to practice (well still need more) painting a gas tank. So I did almost nothing to a fairly pitted messed up gas tank (it would leak as fast as you put gas in) and laid down some lacquer filling primer I had laying around and sanded smooth. Then painted. Tank looks nice even years later.

The rust under the paint is a long term issue. It all hinges on how much moisture is locked up in the layers and how much can get through the paint. Yes some (mostly older) paints are porous over a longer time frame. The rust will expand and push the paint out. The other issue is rust is not well adhered to the metal and the paint is adhered to the rust.

Ask around you may find a decent set of rims local. For evaluation I suggest you take a correct original lug nut with you. The lug nut should not be able to stick through to the back side. If the counter sinks are worn that will play some into the value of the rims and you will be ok getting the special washers to fix the problem.

I suggest that any rims you end up with that you sand the backside of the wheels where they touch the brake drum. Any paint here will wear off and cause the nuts to get loose. Any uneven application of powder coat (very likely) will warp your drum significantly.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
Dennis Pereira

If it was an honest service they would have called you before powder coating badly pitted wheels .
Old 03-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
Chris Haynes

Pits are a pain with powdercoating. Sanding them smooth and having another coat applied is about all you can do. The powdercoating that remains in your pits helps smooth them out.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

agree strongly with Dennis,
after sandblasting they would have called you if the wheels were that bad..

you would have seen issues with your paint being the wheels were that bad and to the point of a structural issue.

sounds like you got screwed,, baited you in and switched

if you need a good pc'er i have one in bucks county that u can trust...

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 03-26-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
Bill's Auto Works

If you would like to take the time, you could sand the wheels a bit, spot putty the pits, sand smooth primer & paint them with a good urethane base coat-clear coat.

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Amb. Cust. Lemans
1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2 DR HT
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 DR HT
1966 Pontiac Catalina Conv
1966 AMC Ambassador DPL 2 DR HT
1966 AMC Ambassador Cust 2DR HT
1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Chevy Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
2007 Cadillac XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Bill's Auto Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
J Franklin

What do his wheels look like? Were they done at the very time yours were? It might give you a clue as to what might have been done. Your wheels could have been blasted and the pits filled by the previous owner and not had rust at all. The coater should have apprised you though.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:17 PM   #10
jax55

PM sent
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #11
rocket1

I had my wheels blasted and then filled in all the pits with plastic filler(bondo) I then primed and painted them,40 plus years ago,still look good.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Sorry to hear what happened.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
stouchton

Thanks guys.

I'm trying to believe nothing unscrupulous happened, but I am just not sure how to tell. Do wish I marked them. By the amount of some of the pitting, it is just hard to believe the paint could hide it. But maybe it did, and maybe these are my wheels.

I am trying to meet with the owner for at least a partial refund. Should have been called after they were stripped, and no excuse for that. Figure I got screwed, and time to walk away in best position possible. The outfit I used did have good reviews so I never expected to be in this position.

I will offer 4 of these wheels for sale - they are quite usable, just not on a show car and that is what my wife wants. Lug nut seats are not wallowed out, and spokes are straight. One is heavily pitted Will post up later with pics in the classified/stuff for sale forum. pm me if you got an interest.

Any lead on 4 good shape 19" wheels would be greatly appreciated. Any opinions on the replacement wheels Snyders sells would also be appreciated.

Thanks again - I really appreciate you guys being out there
Old 03-26-2015, 08:04 PM   #14
denis4x4

Something isn't right here. Powder coating is not rocket science. I have 3 sets of 16" wires that were PC with no issues. For what it's worth, the guy I use always calls me if there are any questions. If it were I, I would demand either a full refund or have the wheels returned stripped to bare metal.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #15
Terry, NJ

Your experience has been my experience! The metal rots away under the PC and gives you no sign until total failure. It is especially evident on truck bodies and boat trailers. Go to a marina and carefully examine the old used trailers and here and there you'll find pieces of the frame where the metal is gone and theres a perfect envelope of PC encasing ........Nothing! My advice is stick to paint.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by stouchton View Post
Hi Folks – looking for some advice/opinions once again.

I sent my wheels for powder coating. Prior to powder coating, they looked very good. The paint was chipped in spots, and a little rust but overall they were smooth and actually looked nearly new.

Well – they look 80 years old now. And I’m just trying to figure out if the powder coaters story has merit:

They have admitted they should have called me when they stripped them. 1 wheel is pitted to the point I would not use it (structural). 3 wheels are heavily pitted (just look bad). 1 wheel is not too bad, and the other wheel looks brand new.

They stated they were rusting under the paint, even though the paint showed no issues. I did try scraping paint from the wheels to have chips for color match and could not easily scrape any paint from the wheels.
I thought maybe the previous owner did a lot of filler work prior to painting, and the blasting process removed it – but the spokes are pitted now and could not imagine anyone doing bodywork on spokes!

And I am the paranoid type – I did not mark the wheels, and the owner of this shop had a Model A he was restoring. I originally thought these can’t be my wheels!

So to relieve my paranoia, is it possible for the wheels to be badly pitted under the paint and the paint to not show it? My experience has been when there is rust under paint, the paint bubbles or breaks free. I did not see this except for where there were chips.

Also – what are my options besides replacing the pitted wheels (I know – picture is worth a thousand words – will post a couple pics later)? I can buy new wheels, and they have already agreed to powder coat an additional 4 wheels for $45 apiece (I’m not the best negotiator…..) but new wheels are quite pricey. I could look at some used wheels, but is there a way to hide some of the pitting and re-powder coat? I guess I’m looking for the most cost effective solution to make them “passable”.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #16
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Your experience has been my experience! The metal rots away under the PC and gives you no sign until total failure. It is especially evident on truck bodies and boat trailers. Go to a marina and carefully examine the old used trailers and here and there you'll find pieces of the frame where the metal is gone and theres a perfect envelope of PC encasing ........Nothing! My advice is stick to paint.
Terry
Terry if you read the original post his wheel were painted and not powder coated.

and i never had your experience if the pc job is done correctly with properly repaired metal...
rust can happen under any surface paint or pc..
Old 03-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #17
stouchton

Just a quick update. Had a good meeting this morning. Went into it loaded for bear, but was totally floored when they stated WE OWE YOU NEW WHEELS!!!!!

So - we are working thru the details of new wheels. Also complete refund for work performed. They will of course keep my old wheels in exchange for helping me out with the new wheels.

At the moment - I am happy. They want the opportunity to make this right. Will post how this turns out (got my fingers crossed).
Old 03-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #18
Mitch//pa
BANNED

why did they offer to buy you new wheels?
what are they admitting?
something is not KOSHER

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 03-27-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #19
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Just a quick update. Had a good meeting this morning. Went into it loaded for bear, but was totally floored when they stated WE OWE YOU NEW WHEELS!!!!!

So - we are working thru the details of new wheels. Also complete refund for work performed. They will of course keep my old wheels in exchange for helping me out with the new wheels.

At the moment - I am happy. They want the opportunity to make this right. Will post how this turns out (got my fingers crossed).
You might do a little research on the "new" wheels. I would prefer the original ones.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #20
zzlegend

Quote:

This could be a good outcome. But if they do find you nice replacement wheels, I would check them for straight before they powder coat them. Just a thought. Good luck with them.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote