Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
gearheadbill

Default 1939 pedals in a 32

I have a 1932 passenger car which I want to convert to hydraulic brakes. I have all the required bits....drums, backing plates, brake parts etc.. I also have a 1939 pedal assy but do not want to disfigure my stock "K" member. A small hole or 2 would be ok but looks to me that using the 39 pedals/m.cyl setup would require some major modifications to the center K member.

I was hoping that someone has a relatively simple way to utilize the stock 1932 pedals and incorporate them into a hydraulic system. Any ideas? This must have been done cleanly 100's of times over the years. Thanks!!
gearheadbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
thunderbirdesq

Default Re: 1939 pedals in a 32

I'm using the stock '32 pedals with a '39 MC and they work great. I cut the actuator arm off the brake pivot and rewelded it on the bottom. Made a bracket to mount the MC behind the Kmember.
thunderbirdesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
CWPASADENA

Get in touch with Richard at the Early V-8 Garage (626) 338-2282. He has a bolt in Hydraulic Brake Kit requiring NO MODIFICATIONS at all. You use the stock '32 Pedals. He also has all the pre made lines, hoses, brackets, fittings and hardware you will need.

In my opinion, this is the ONLY way to go.

Chris.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
Ford46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
Get in touch with Richard at the Early V-8 Garage (626) 338-2282. He has a bolt in Hydraulic Brake Kit requiring NO MODIFICATIONS at all. You use the stock '32 Pedals. He also has all the pre made lines, hoses, brackets, fittings and hardware you will need.

Chris.
Especially on a 1932 Ford that could then be returned to original easily. This will help you protect the value if your vehicle is stock. LouB.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Andy

Quote:

Chris.
I agree. I saw a set from Richard and it was great. Sure better than
cutting up a bunch of stuff and it not working when done.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Angledrive

Richards the man. It fits and doesn't mess up your chassis. TomR
Angledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
gearheadbill

Quote:

Chris.
Will do. Thanks to everyone who chimed in. Much appreciated.
gearheadbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:25 AM   #8
PeteVS

I went a way similar to cutting and re-welding the original pedal, but instead, I made a new pedal out of 3/8" steel plate. I laid it out on the computer before I retired. I still have a sheet metal template I made up that I might be able to scan and share. Contact me if you're interested. (After I made the pedal, I did weld on a small arm to enable use of a stock return spring.)

Last edited by PeteVS; 06-01-2010 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Added spring note.
PeteVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
Richard (EV8G)

Thanks to all who recommended my stuff. I originally designed it so that an original 32 could be converted without any permanent modifications, and so that it could be "converted back" without a trace. Therefore, no drilling cutting or welding is required and, unlike most other methods that I have seen, it is not necessary to relocate the battery when using mine. Richard
Old 06-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
Tim Brown

Hey Richard, Do you have anything like this for a 1934? Thanks, Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
Dennis (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brown View Post
Yes we do, Tim. Like the '32, the '33-'34 is a 100% bolt-on set-up. We actually cover all early V8 Fords that originally had mechanical brakes up to 1938.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brown View Post
We make COMPLETE systems for 32-38's, including pre-bent lines and all other parts required. 32's and 33-34's require NO extra holes, 35-36's require ONE hole in the LH rear radius rod to mount the rear T fitting, and 37-38's require that same hole, plus SIX more in the rear radius rods to secure the lines - same identical holes as in 39-40's. We use all original-style fittings, so the installation appears as close to "factory" as possible. All of the systems use the ORIGINAL pedals AND it is NOT necessary to relocate the battery on 32-36's. Also can use the original front spindles, so no changes to the steering linkage are required.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #13
fmayer

Do you also do the Model A?
fmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #14
Richard (EV8G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmayer View Post
Do you also do the Model A?
We do not make conversions for Model A's. They are actually much more complicated... the fronts are easy enough; the brake plates can even be mounted on the original spindles by using an adaptor kit that also can be used on 32-36's, and which we have made. The rears have clearance issues due to the location of the rear spring hangers AND due to the fact that apparently the rear axles do not protrude as far as 32+, causing drum interference with the shoes and the brake plates. For more information on this issue, contact
Cling's Aftermarket Products (www.clingsaftermarket.com )

As for the master cylinder mount and linkage, Dave Wilton in the past made a battery box to which an F-100 master cylinder and
linkage was attached, connecting to the original pedal. I believe that this product may still be available through Bert's Model A? Cling's also offers a master cylinder setup for either the original A transmission or for a V8 transmission, which includes a pedal shaft mount. We have done installations with both of these and they fit and work well. Wilton's version requires drilling mounting holes in the frame. Cling's may not? See their website for more info. They also may still have a "How To" book that has alot of good info.

I do not think anyone makes a true "Prebent" line kit for either of the above, although "bend-them-yourself kits are available. We do not have a jig setup for A's, but we have done a few "plumbing jobs" on A's (car in the shop) using fittings and brackets etc. from our 32-38 kits.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #15
Rustyspokes

Hi Richard.. I have a 1934 Ford V/8 and I am considering changing my mechanical brakes to your Hydraulic set-up, I'm up in British Columbia Canada, could you send me info as how much it would cost me for the parts necessary for the job , thanks Dale ...
Rustyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote