Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Flathead 1930

Default Brake Parts 1970 Ford Fairlane

I am in need of emergency brake hardware that is located on/in the rear wheel drums. I have a Ford 8 " axle from a Ford Fairlane in my 1930 Ford coupe project. All the wheel emergency brake hardware is missing. I just returned from two auto part stores and they can not order the parts. Is there a Ford aftermarket part house or do I need to look for original parts?

Thanks for any help!

Ray
Flathead 1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
34pickup

Default Re: Brake Parts 1970 Ford Fairlane

Try dearbornclassics.com
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
tdlmomowers

I found all the brake hardware for my 69 Torino at NAPA. I replaced everything except the drums and backing plates. If they don't have the parts in stock, they can order them from the warehouse. By the way, I work for a NAPA store in Mansfield, Ohio. If you can't find them, let me know, and I will get the part numbers for you. Let me know what you need and what your brakes came out of and what size brakes it has. Measure the shoe size for width and drum diameter.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Flathead 1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlmomowers View Post
I found all the brake hardware for my 69 Torino at NAPA. I replaced everything except the drums and backing plates. If they don't have the parts in stock, they can order them from the warehouse. By the way, I work for a NAPA store in Mansfield, Ohio. If you can't find them, let me know, and I will get the part numbers for you. Let me know what you need and what your brakes came out of and what size brakes it has. Measure the shoe size for width and drum diameter.
Thanks! NAPA was one of the auto parts stores I went to yesterday and they stated that the parts were not offered, maybe part numbers would help. I just went out into the barn and got the following information; Drum measures 10" ID. The following information is stamped on the outside rim of the drum; MAX DIA 10.090, B193

I believe that the axle housing came from a 1970 Fairlane, at least that is what the previous owner told me. The brakes are all new, they just did not install the emergency brake parts. I need everything for the emergency or parking brake system from where the rear cables enter the backing plate. I plan on using a Lokar Emergency brake lever/handle in the 1930 coupe, so the ballance of the system will have to be created.

Thanks for the help!

Ray

Last edited by Flathead 1930; 01-17-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: error
Old 01-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
tdlmomowers

Some of the Counter people working in the stores these days do not have the knowledge of the older guys. Either that or they just don't want to take the time to look for the older parts. See if you can get me the shoe width. I know for a fact that we can get all the parts that you need. I found everything for the brakes on my 69 Torino at our NAPA store, without any trouble. I will look tomorrow and see if I can get you the part numbers for what you need. If I need any more information I will contact you on this forum. If you want to call me, here is my number, 419-529-2370. I should be home all day.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Flathead 1930

Thanks for the help! The rear shoe width is 1 3/4".

Ray
Old 01-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
paul2748

Here's some places to contact. They specialize in Fairlane and Torino parts.

Dearborn Classics 800-252-7427
Concours parts 800-722-0009
Auto Krafters 800-228-7346
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
tdlmomowers

Flathead 1930. Well I don't have good news for you as I hoped I would. I was saddly mistaken and NAPA does not list the parts that you need. After further research I found out that I did not replace the Parking Brake hardware on my car, but I cleaned them up and reused the old ones. What you need is the equalizer bar that goes between the primary and secondary shoes and the lever that the cable attaches to that goes to the rear shoe. I have checked, Autokrafters, Macs, Obsolete Ford Parts and Dearborn Classics, all to no avail. I guess your best shot would be to check at a local Wrecking Yard. Most Fords of that vintage used the same parts, so maybe you can get lucky. Again, I'm sorry I can't help you.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
Flathead 1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlmomowers View Post
Flathead 1930. Well I don't have good news for you as I hoped I would. I was saddly mistaken and NAPA does not list the parts that you need. After further research I found out that I did not replace the Parking Brake hardware on my car, but I cleaned them up and reused the old ones. What you need is the equalizer bar that goes between the primary and secondary shoes and the lever that the cable attaches to that goes to the rear shoe. I have checked, Autokrafters, Macs, Obsolete Ford Parts and Dearborn Classics, all to no avail. I guess your best shot would be to check at a local Wrecking Yard. Most Fords of that vintage used the same parts, so maybe you can get lucky. Again, I'm sorry I can't help you.
Thanks for all your help!

Ray
Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
desotoguy

Flarhead 1930
If the above referenced supliers don't work out for you, pm me, I am almost sure that I have an extra set in my storage building. Sure the would need to be cleaned before installation. My other car is a 31 Ford Coupe.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
Ole Don

Flathead 1930, if the parts Desotoguy has are not right, email me or PM. I have a pair of loaded used backing plates in the garage collecting dust. If they were parted out for you, that would be a good thing.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #12
Flathead 1930

Smile Re: Brake Parts 1970 Ford Fairlane

I would like to take the time to thank everyone for their help! A special thanks to "Ole Don & Desotoguy" for taking the time to look, box and ship the parts I need. The only thing they have asked for is to cover the cost of shipping. It gives me a warm feeling to know that there are "Great People" out there willing to help a stranger!

Thanks again!

Ray