Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
35fordtn

Default Sun Distributor Machine question

Maybe not the correct place for a question regarding a Sun Machine, but here goes.

I would usually set up a distributor on a KRW fixture to set the dwell, points and initial timing. Then run on my Sun Machine to confirm the mechanical advance is working and check for point bounce.

My question, it is possible to set marks on the machine to also set the initial timing on the machine? I know the 21A mark would differ from a 32-41 distributor, but does anybody do this?
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:47 PM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Sun Distributor Machine question

I use my sun machine to setup the the points, vacuum brake and initial timing. Do you have a copy of the instructions with your machine? It tells how it's done.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:23 AM   #3
35fordtn

No I do not have instructions. I am trying to learn how one would set up a Early (32-41) distributor on a sun machine and be able to set the initial timing without the use of a KR wilson fixture.

I recently picked up this Sun Machine and am having fun with it and trying to learn. I understand how you could check the vacuum brake, points, dwell, and advance. I do not understand how you can set initial timing, without setting one up on a KRW fixture and then making a mark with a sharpie on the Sun Machine to mark where it should be.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:24 AM   #4
Ken/Alabama

Mine has a small pointer at the 6 o'clock position . To set initial timing you run the distributor at slow enough speed to prevent the centrifugal weights from moving . Align the degree ring at Zero on the pointer. Then adjust the timing device on the distributor to 3 degrees advanced. 3 Degrees may not be correct, goin off memory. But that's how it's done. Remove the vacuum brake before setting the initial timing.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
BUBBAS IGNITION

For proper case timing the distributor would need to be marked with the KW Wilson tool and then the adapter indexed in the sun machine for proper tdc...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
For proper case timing the distributor would need to be marked with the KW Wilson tool and then the adapter indexed in the sun machine for proper tdc...
On my Sun machine the adapter has a locating pin where it fits in the clamp so it Can only be installed one way. I assumed they were all like that.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:10 PM   #7
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
On my Sun machine the adapter has a locating pin where it fits in the clamp so it Can only be installed one way. I assumed they were all like that.
Very few had the set up pin , i wish my allen did , would save me a ton of time setting it up.
I keep saying i am going to set up a machine ( i have more than one) but just never get it done......
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #8
Hoop

Neither Ken nor 35fordtn have mentioned which model Sun machines they have. This is a very interesting subject to at least a few of us. I currently have 5 Sun testers, 4 504's and a 500.

Only 2 have the locating holes. None have arrows.

Ken, you've said the arrow is at 6:00. What model Sun and does the arrow appear to be "factory" or added later? When the adapter pin is in the locating hole, does the machine strobe at 6:00?

As is often said, "Nothing is as easy as it first appears." There may be more to indexing the early flathead distributors than just putting marks on the machine.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #9
35fordtn

Mine is a DT-400. I just finished rebuilding it with a NOS flashtube, new capacitors, etc, etc.
My flathead adapter DOES have a locating pin, as does the clamp. It does have the arrow at 6 o'clock. The distributors when properly timed do not strobe at the arrow. and each distributor (21A vs 68, vs 40) do not strobe at the same locations. I still believe one could not possibly set initial timing on a Sun Machine. Even if you made your own mark for each style distributor on the machine, there are too many variable in this machine to make it a accurate way of setting initial timing.

Just my thoughts I only wanted to see what others opinions were.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:00 PM   #10
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Mine is a DT-400. I just finished rebuilding it with a NOS flashtube, new capacitors, etc, etc.
My flathead adapter DOES have a locating pin, as does the clamp. It does have the arrow at 6 o'clock. The distributors when properly timed do not strobe at the arrow. and each distributor (21A vs 68, vs 40) do not strobe at the same locations. I still believe one could not possibly set initial timing on a Sun Machine. Even if you made your own mark for each style distributor on the machine, there are too many variable in this machine to make it a accurate way of setting initial timing.

Just my thoughts I only wanted to see what others opinions were.
My machine is a Sun model MDT. I've been using this machine for 25 plus years and have setup and strobed them all from 32-48 including the V12 distributors and never had a problem. The arrow or pointer at the 6 o'clock position only serves as a reference point to zero in the degree ring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (81.4 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Ken/Alabama; 06-27-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #11
Hoop

Ken, does the machine strobe at the arrow?
Old 06-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #12
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Neither Ken nor 35fordtn have mentioned which model Sun machines they have. This is a very interesting subject to at least a few of us. I currently have 5 Sun testers, 4 504's and a 500.

Only 2 have the locating holes. None have arrows.

Ken, you've said the arrow is at 6:00. What model Sun and does the arrow appear to be "factory" or added later? When the adapter pin is in the locating hole, does the machine strobe at 6:00?

As is often said, "Nothing is as easy as it first appears." There may be more to indexing the early flathead distributors than just putting marks on the machine.
The pointer at the 6 o'clock position is factory and held on with two screws. The instruction manual warns against disturbing it's setting as it has been calibrated and set from the factory.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #13
Hoop

Ken, I want to verify that the machine actually strobes at the arrow. This is important in calibrating the unit.

Does the strobe occur at the arrow.

It's not something I want to assume. Others do not. Does yours?
Old 06-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #14
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Ken, I want to verify that the machine actually strobes at the arrow. This is important in calibrating the unit.

Does the strobe occur at the arrow.

It's not something I want to assume. Others do not. Does yours?
No, it's only purpose is to zero the adjustable degree ring. if the degree ring isn't at zero then none of the readings will be correct.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:15 PM   #15
35fordtn

If it does not strobe at the arrow, how can you possibly set initial timing on the machine?
Old 06-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #16
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
If it does not strobe at the arrow, how can you possibly set initial timing on the machine?
Are you referring to the stationary pointer the Arrow?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #17
Hoop

Thanks, Ken.

Setting the initial advance on a Sun machine has not been on my "do" list. There are other challenges ... led strobe, tach calibration tool, etc.

I use the KRW along with the Sun which works fine.

Let's see if I can nail down an exact, repeatable procedure on the Sun alone.

(35fordtn, are you going to the swap meet at Fletcher, NC, this weekend?)
Old 06-27-2016, 06:41 PM   #18
Ken/Alabama

We must have two or three different machines. My instruction booklet covers how to do it all including setting the initial timing, setting point dwell, setting the vacuum brake and checking the centrifugal advance.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #19
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
We must have two or three different machines. My instruction booklet covers how to do it all including setting the initial timing, setting point dwell, setting the vacuum brake and checking the centrifugal advance.
Sounds to me like you could make a fortune selling copies of your 'instruction booklet'....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #20
Hoop

Is it possible for you to scan just the pages that explain it ... sometimes a photo of the page will do. I have a bunch of manuals but not what you have. The key is the way your machine is configured ... not that it is different. If I can see the instructions, I think I can figure out what's going on.

The early flathead distributor requires special indexing ...

Thanks.