Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2024, 05:53 PM   #1
Gotsmoke?

Default Assembled and running motor...any buying advice?

Evening,
As mentioned before, I have a lot of parts, but so far no good block.

I have the opportunity to buy a "L" motor. It is assembled and running. It has gauges and on a test stand. It is not new, but was rebulit about 12 years ago. It has been run but not installed since then. It looks to be bone stock. The guy says it is a 42-45 WW II 221 Any thing stand out in your mind to look at?

Ty, JIM

Last edited by Gotsmoke?; 01-21-2024 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Clarify motor nomenclature
Gotsmoke? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:47 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Assembled and running motor...any buying advice?

Gotsmoke: In my opinion the 49-53 Ford/Merc v-8 is the best engine for rebuilding and ease of working on. Here's a good post on HAMB about this:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ild-on.712229/
and
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...engine.267150/

A lot depends on the price of the "L" engine you are looking at and if it is the engine that best fits into your plans for your car project. Don't buy something on the spur of the moment because it's "there". Do your research and homework on the advantages and disadvantages of early and late flatheads.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 01-21-2024 at 06:58 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:12 PM   #3
Gotsmoke?

Im on the fence because i agree on the later blocks for so many reasons. They (any flathead) are few and far between in AR.

$1600 is asking price. Has 2 holley 94s and a bell housing adapter for the T5 as well.

Ty
Old 01-21-2024, 09:24 PM   #4
19Fordy

For $1600 I would want to see and hear it run. Sitting for 12 years won't make it run any better. If you really want a 49-53 you will find one and feel much better about your purchase even if you have to go on a road trip to buy it. Keep looking. There are lots of flathead guys out there with stockpiles of flat heads. You just have to keep hunting. Keep doing searches on HAMB and Ebay and Fordbarn.
For instance, here's a good possibility. You can build it your way.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13467752323...Bk9SR4KP5u-lYw

Also, look here.

This looks very good, Even if you had to pay to have it shipped. https://www.ebay.com/itm/16655470427...Bk9SR_rrk_ClYw

Last edited by 19Fordy; 01-21-2024 at 09:40 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 10:10 PM   #5
Gotsmoke?

Gotcha. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2024, 11:29 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked

All the 59L blocks that I have seen are 239 cubic inches - came STD with a 3 3/16 bore. The price is not terrible, but for that amount of money I'd want a guarantee there are no cracks and I would want to pull the heads, intake and pan to see what you really have.

There are a lot of horror stories related to buying a "ran when parked" . . . or rebuilt and "never started" types of engines. There is no way to know what you really have unless you can take it apart.

Maybe make a deal where you get to do the above and if it doesn't check out, you'll obviously put it back together and maybe he keeps $500? Just some ideas.

Feel free to reach out to me for any specific questions - best of luck.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 11:38 PM   #7
Brian

as usual, B&S's post is spot on!
Old 01-22-2024, 12:01 PM   #8
Ziggster

I would say it would typically be better to buy a running motor, but in this case I think I would pass. He has his facts messed up, which should raise some eyebrows. The early Ford V8s were 221 cu. in., and are referred to as “21 stud” - the number of headbolts/studs. I think these were produced until 38. These engines are not what you want as parts are hard to come by. The next generation were 239 cu. in., and are referred to as “24 stud”. This is what you want. The “L” might just be referring to the flathead design. Also, IIRC, Ford really didn’t build any vehicles during WW2 (42-45), so calling it a WW2 might be a bit if misnomer. So, for me personally, I wouldn’t trust this person when they seem to have the basics messed up.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 12:11 PM   #9
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
All the 59L blocks that I have seen are 239 cubic inches - came STD with a 3 3/16 bore. The price is not terrible, but for that amount of money I'd want a guarantee there are no cracks and I would want to pull the heads, intake and pan to see what you really have.

There are a lot of horror stories related to buying a "ran when parked" . . . or rebuilt and "never started" types of engines. There is no way to know what you really have unless you can take it apart.

Maybe make a deal where you get to do the above and if it doesn't check out, you'll obviously put it back together and maybe he keeps $500? Just some ideas.

Feel free to reach out to me for any specific questions - best of luck.

This. Dale beat me to it. Things aren't adding up. It's either he's confused about the cubic inches or it is an really oddball post-war replacement block that were cast with 59AB/L numbers, but did have the smaller 221 bores.

That said, if he can start it, it's got good oil pressure, doesn't smoke or knock, revs up nicely and smoothly, you can't build one for anywhere near $1,600, so it may be worth negotiating.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 12:17 PM   #10
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
I would say it would typically be better to buy a running motor, but in this case I think I would pass. He has his facts messed up, which should raise some eyebrows. The early Ford V8s were 221 cu. in., and are referred to as “21 stud” - the number of headbolts/studs. I think these were produced until 38. These engines are not what you want as parts are hard to come by. The next generation were 239 cu. in., and are referred to as “24 stud”. This is what you want. The “L” might just be referring to the flathead design. Also, IIRC, Ford really didn’t build any vehicles during WW2 (42-45), so calling it a WW2 might be a bit if misnomer. So, for me personally, I wouldn’t trust this person when they seem to have the basics messed up.
To clarify. All Ford engines from some time in 1938 through the 1942 model year were 24 studs and 221 ci. The Mercury and some truck engines were 239 ci during this period. There is a possibility that some Fords during this period had 239 ci engines, but knowing definitively about this is above my pay grade. The 221 ci "59" blocks as well.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 01:47 PM   #11
glennpm

Block summary table below. This is easier to see on page #6 of the "Techno Source for the 1932 thru 1953 Flathead Ford" link in my signature below.

Glenn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~---------------
Rumble Seat's Notes

Techno-Source for the 1932 thru 1953 Flathead Ford
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 03:04 PM   #12
Ziggster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
To clarify. All Ford engines from some time in 1938 through the 1942 model year were 24 studs and 221 ci. The Mercury and some truck engines were 239 ci during this period. There is a possibility that some Fords during this period had 239 ci engines, but knowing definitively about this is above my pay grade. The 221 ci "59" blocks as well.
Thanks Tubman. Learn something new everyday.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 09:47 PM   #13
Gotsmoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
Block summary table below. This is easier to see on page #6 of the "Techno Source for the 1932 thru 1953 Flathead Ford" link in my signature below.

Glenn
Incredible literature...ty for the link.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:50 PM   #14
Gotsmoke?

I'm going to pass. However I talked to the seller for over an hour. He did say he thought it was 3 3/16 bore. It was pulled from a Army vehicle, rebuilt and the owner decided to go SBC. If any would like his contact let me know. He was very helpful and seemed honest.
Old 01-22-2024, 10:32 PM   #15
kiwi nz

Why are you going to pass?
kiwi nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 08:15 PM   #16
Bored&Stroked

If that is a 59L block and is in good shape - then the price is more than fair. Maybe work a deal where you can inspect it . . . before making a final decision.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 09:11 PM   #17
1942deluxe

Does it say 59L on the bell housing?
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote