Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Skibb

Default Need RX for Hill Climbing

We left the Blue Ridge Tour for a couple of reasons. We, unlike many, had no mechanical failures. But for us climbing those hills was a bear. Newly rebuilt stock engine, older stock trans with 3.54 rear and 5.4 HC Head. Car drives flat country okay. We're talking Blue Ridge Hills, what's needed please?
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Need RX for Hill Climbing

In hill country Ford offered 4:11 axle gears as well as the usual 3:78 your car is a flat-lander car with your set-up.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Duffy1

My biggest concern would be brakes . Sooner or later you have to go down those hills.
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Skibb

Franklin, that has to be it !

Duffy my new brakes w cast iron drums were giving off a burning smell as well as a bad bad fade. Went to second gear then first, down we went like a rocket. New trans needed?

Now the hill looked almost vertical and seemed to rrun on for a couple of miles (route 52) thru short switch backs. Must need a stronger trans. Amazingly, we got down w/o damage.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
partridgekelley

I'd go for a 3:78 rear end gears and a Mitchel gear splitter. I have one in my pick-up and it's great in the hills around here. I live in north Ca. where you have to go at least 32 miles of hills to get anywhere. I also don't baby my truck , it's a worker. But I do have hydraulic brakes and modern wheels on it.
I use mine for everything. Good Luck , Gary
partridgekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
PC/SR

If you got down the hills without damage, I can't imagine why you would need a "stronger" trans. The A trans is a strong trans, will take a lot of abuse and survive most any use. I agree your problem is the rear end ratio.

Last edited by PC/SR; 05-09-2013 at 10:50 PM.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
columbiA

With the Columbia OD with 4.11 & 2.94 ratios in my coupe,I get the best of both worlds-power & speed.I also run the 5.9 head on B engine.The stock A trans is a very good one & with a bit of maintenance & care will outlast the car.I use the 4.11 ratio up to 40 mph,then switch to OD.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibb View Post
Franklin, that has to be it !

Duffy my new brakes w cast iron drums were giving off a burning smell as well as a bad bad fade. Went to second gear then first, down we went like a rocket. New trans needed?

Now the hill looked almost vertical and seemed to rrun on for a couple of miles (route 52) thru short switch backs. Must need a stronger trans. Amazingly, we got down w/o damage.

One of my customers on the tour mentioned a scenario of someone similar to your description. I suspect it was you. Like I told them, I personally think you have issues with your engine and brakes. There was a loaded Phaeton on the tour with a 5.5 head and a 3.27 gear ratio and he pulled the hills just fine. Also had completely rebuilt mechanical brakes that stopped the car just fine in all conditions on this tour. Contrary to what many will tell you, a 3.27 in a properly rebuilt engine will do just fine in these mountains and on that parkway. I know from personal experience as I have done it many times.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
Jordan

A Model A isn't going to soar up any mountain. Second gear at 20-25 mph would be expected. If you tried third, you were probably lugging and it wouldn't pull. Maybe you were just expecting it to be a different experience than reality?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #10
James Rogers

Like Brent said, you can do better with a 5.5 head and a Stipe cam. People who live here drive the Parkway and worse daily. Here this is the preferred combination along with oversize intake valves and lightened flywheel and balanced crank. You don't have a problem with the tranny, you just have too high of a gear for the engine you are running and are not used to driving in these mountains. They are really an eye opener, huh. I climb most hills around here and have traveled the Parkway both directions on the same trip you were making with no problems. It does take some experience with a steep learning curve to navigate the PW without problems. I bet there were a lot more pinched up seat bottoms besides yours from a lot of these flatlanders in the hills. Most just wouldn't admit it.

Last edited by James Rogers; 05-10-2013 at 08:20 AM.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
Skibb

Thank you all for enlightening me. Back to the basics. My brakes were professionally from a to z in the past year. We'll do it again when we get home even if it's flat from coast to coast. Again, thanks a million.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
V4F

more hp & better brakes ..................
Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy1 View Post
My biggest concern would be brakes . Sooner or later you have to go down those hills.
My Dad asways told me: "If you have to use 2nd gear to go up the hill, you need to use 2nd gear to go down the hill!"
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
One of my customers on the tour mentioned a scenario of someone similar to your description. I suspect it was you. Like I told them, I personally think you have issues with your engine and brakes. There was a loaded Phaeton on the tour with a 5.5 head and a 3.27 gear ratio and he pulled the hills just fine. Also had completely rebuilt mechanical brakes that stopped the car just fine in all conditions on this tour. Contrary to what many will tell you, a 3.27 in a properly rebuilt engine will do just fine in these mountains and on that parkway. I know from personal experience as I have done it many times.

Brent, just got home from the tour. Next week we'll start on the engine and brakes just as you say.... The engine was rebuilt this past year as were the brakes (with cast iron drums no less). But it's back to basics and fix it all - the right way.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #15
James Rogers

Quote:
Thank you all for enlightening me. Back to the basics. My brakes were professionally from a to z in the past year. We'll do it again when we get home even if it's flat from coast to coast. Again, thanks a million.
I think you need to find a different "professional". Throwing new parts at a component does not constitute "properly rebuilt" We who live here drive in these mountains and have no problems like you had. I have driven the same trip you did with a tudor filled with gear and my wife before she lost 100# and never had a problem. I also met several people that were with you on this trip that had cars that were full of gear and were high content wood cars that were making the trip just fine. Changing the transmission won't help you even one iota. Changing back to a 3.78 gear might help some. Go to a better cam, a Snyder head and, have the brakes done by someone who knows what they are doing. You have to understand, these cars have run in mountains for 85 years and are still around. Some didn't have all the best parts and were not mechanically sound but they made it.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
Richard Wilson

Very sorry to hear that you did not feel it safe to complete the tour. Hopefully you will come back and give it another try one day. The Blue Ridge Parkway is an amazing road. I have driven antique cars and motorcycles in various states of disrepair along the BRP all my life with out a second thought. A 100% stock Model A does wonderful on the Parkway hills, no need for special brakes, engine or trans modifications as some have suggested. I think it is more about "mountain driving skills" and "attitude" than quality of restoration or amount of modifications. Model A driving in the mountains should be about the journey rather than a race to some destination.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Brent, just got home from the tour. Next week we'll start on the engine and brakes just as you say.... The engine was rebuilt this past year as were the brakes (with cast iron drums no less). But it's back to basics and fix it all - the right way.

Sounds good, ...best wishes.

Maybe several of you all should have a 're-do' of the Parkway at a later date as it seems like the weather was not conducive to seeing all that the Parkway has to offer. From my own experiences, having the ability to look out both sides at the scenery instead of strictly having to focus on the road ahead will greatly improve your thoughts of the BRP!! Below are a few pix of recent 5 day trip we did driving the Parkway in a Ford that is 15 years older than yours. Never put a wrench on it the entire 700 mile roundtrip. If my old beater can do it, your fine Model-A can do it just fine too!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

BTW, over look the "max speed" but look at the GPS speeds...

...and when you are headin' back to the barn afterdark, you tend to pick up the pace a bit!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #19
Richard Wilson

My point exactly Brent! 20 HP and NO brakes at the wheels, only a brake band in the transmission. I see Model T's on the Parkway on a regular basis. Thanks for the Model T example and the pictures.

To echo what Brent says, y'all come back in late June and July when the azaleas and Rhododendren are in bloom on the high mountains and the mid day temp's are low 70's or perhaps mid-September when the hills are at their fall color peak. Nothing could be finer!

Last edited by Richard Wilson; 05-11-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #20
James Rogers

I would also echo Brent's sentiments. If you think this trip is scary in an A with decent or marginal brakes and a stock motor, try it in a T with 20 HP and less than marginal brakes compared to an A. We do it all the time and have done trips to Rochester,Mn and Rutland,VT where one hill was about 1/2-3/4 mile that I would hesitate to go down in a modern and trust the brakes but we did it in our T's. We also did a trip through the Badlands of SD of 180 miles just for a lark.