Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2023, 10:53 AM   #1
philcobill

Default Too much play in Pitman Arm Ball?

Is there supposed to be this much play where the pitman arm ball attaches to drag link?

You see, there is about 4 to 6 inches of play in the steering wheel. A member of our local Model A chapter is servicing the steering box with all new parts. I am also considering getting a new pitman arm. I was told that sometimes the ball on the pitman arm wears out and I am just wondering if this "play" I am seeing here is an indication that it is worn out. I understand that I will need to take it out to double check. But before I do that I want to figure out what is going on.

See this video. https://youtu.be/_c5zC-E18Ok

Bill Harms
Walworth, New York

Last edited by philcobill; 01-05-2023 at 05:34 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
philcobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:02 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Too much play in Pitman Arm Ball?

It appears the Drag Link hole itself is what is worn. As long as the spring is properly preloaded, and the ball on the Steering Gear Arm (a/k/a: Pitman Arm) is still round (-without wear or flat spotting) then it likely will be OK.

The lateral rotation within the Drag Link is not going to cause 6" of backlash in a steering wheel though.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:31 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

iT LOOKS NORMAL FOR A BALL JOINT. YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE DRAG LINK AND CHECK THE PITMAN ARM BALL FOR ROUNDNESS TO BE SURE.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:35 AM   #4
dave in australia

The best way would be to take the ball out of the rod and measure it. The video does not show the movement that is normally applied on the joint. If you hold the pitman arm at 90 degrees to the drag link, and then try and push and pull the pitman arm towards the front and the back of the rod, this will give a better indication of the play in the joint. With the rod and arm lined up, the part of the ball that does not wear will be sitting in the cups and will give a false sense of wear, or lack thereof. When I measured the ball on my Roadster, there was .070"wear. When the cups are tightened to remove play, and the steering is moved, the cups are spread wider against the cups, increasing spring pressure, and therefore making steering stiffer than what it should, or needs to be.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 07:17 PM   #5
Richard Knight

Take it apart, clean all the parts and measure and inspect all the parts. Measure the balls. This goes for the tie rod. All those parts work together. Why rebuild the box and not the other pieces. You are just guessing at this time.
Richard Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:42 AM   #6
philcobill

I see what you mean. I guess my question at this point is do I need to replace the Drag Link id the hole itself is worn. As I mentioned before, I am getting the steering box serviced and replaced with new parts. If the Drag Link needs to be replaced, this might be a goof time to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
It appears the Drag Link hole itself is what is worn. As long as the spring is properly preloaded, and the ball on the Steering Gear Arm (a/k/a: Pitman Arm) is still round (-without wear or flat spotting) then it likely will be OK.

The lateral rotation within the Drag Link is not going to cause 6" of backlash in a steering wheel though.
philcobill is offline   Reply With Quote