Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Rex_A_Lott

Default Dual Updraft Intake

I've been looking around, (unsuccessfully) for a dual updraft intake that you can put two of the stock type carburetors on. I want one that is cast, similar to the one that Purdy Swoft has posted pics of many times.
What I DONT want is the one that looks like five pieces of pipe stuck together ( a.k.a. the Vortec) . I can make or buy one of that type myself.
Thought I'd throw that out here in case any of you that make it to Hershey see one in your travels. One more year I aint gonna make there myself.
Thanks
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Dual Updraft Intake

Try Steve at Berts, I got my cast iron Uni-flo from him . I found my cast iron Trojan intake on eBay but it wasn't cheap. It would be good if Tod would make some cast iron dual updraft manifolds . I'm sure he could do it and it should be easier than making the heads or engine blocks. Dual updrafts are the easy setup for dual carbs, needs no fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator or special jets. I love mine and have had no problems with them.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
Gunmetal blue2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Try Steve at Berts, I got my cast iron Uni-flo from him . I found my cast iron Trojan intake on eBay but it wasn't cheap. It would be good if Tod would make some cast iron dual updraft manifolds . I'm sure he could do it and it should be easier than making the heads or engine blocks. Dual updrafts are the easy setup for dual carbs, needs no fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator or special jets. I love mine and have had no problems with them.
Do you use the same choke rod or does it need to be modified.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal blue2 View Post
Do you use the same choke rod or does it need to be modified.
I have to lengthen the choke rod so it will reach the front carb. If you've got a bunch of old choke rods its fairly easy to just cut and make one weld. I also have to drill a new hole for the choke rod I plug the old hole with a carrage bolt, its not really noticeable when painted black and if I ever wanted to sell the car I could replace the original setup and save my dual updraft setup. I only choke one carb and the original inside controls remain the same. I run the rear GAV closed all the time

Old 10-07-2014, 03:45 AM   #5
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I have to lengthen the choke rod so it will reach the front carb. If you've got a bunch of old choke rods its fairly easy to just cut and make one weld. I also have to drill a new hole for the choke rod I plug the old hole with a carrage bolt, its not really noticeable when painted black and if I ever wanted to sell the car I could replace the original setup and save my dual updraft setup. I only choke one carb and the original inside controls remain the same. I run the rear GAV closed all the time

Just so that I am clear on what is what...is this the Trojan or the Uniflo?
I tried e-mailing Bert's, and I sent a PM to Steve, but I never got a reply from either one. Thanks for the tip though.
I've thought about modifying one of the intakes for the downdraft 3-bolt Strombergs, but the runners are oblong, not round, so I dont know how well this would work. I guess I could always give up and turn it right-side-up and put two 81's on it, but that wasnt the look I was after, and its more carburetor than I really need.
One thing I like about your intake here is they still have a provision for bolting to the exhaust manifold. That's probably not the best for racing, and out-and-out power, but I think it helps drivablity on the street.
Thanks for posting the pic and for your help!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Purdy Swoft

[QUOTE=Rex_A_Lott;957817]Just so that I am clear on what is what...is this the Trojan or the Uniflo?
I tried e-mailing Bert's, and I sent a PM to Steve, but I never got a reply from either one. Thanks for the tip though.
I've thought about modifying one of the intakes for the downdraft 3-bolt Strombergs, but the runners are oblong, not round, so I dont know how well this would work. I guess I could always give up and turn it right-side-up and put two 81's on it, but that wasnt the look I was after, and its more carburetor than I really need.
One thing I like about your intake here is they still have a provision for bolting to the exhaust manifold. That's probably not the best for racing, and out-and-out power, but I think it helps drivablity on the street.
Thanks for posting the pic and for your help

The manifold pictured above is the Trojan that I bought on eBay. This manifold is pictured in those wonderfull unauthorized accessoriess for the model A book. I think that the Trojan manifold was offered from 1931 untill around 1950 . Sometimes Trojan manifolds will show up on eBay but thats about the only place that I've seen one.

Steve sold the Uniflo manifold to me in the mid 90s from his personal collection. I mentioned Steve at Berts because they often go to the big swap meets and bring back all kinds of cool stuff. Steve would probably be more likely to find a cast iron dual updraft manifold than most people that I know of. Several brands of cast iron dual updraft manifolds were made back in the day. The Uni-Flo was made after 31 and had larger runners that work better with the B carbs. The rear carb is cocked outward at the rear to better clear the down turn of the exhaust manifold. The Uni-Flo out performs the Trojan but isn't nearly as pretty but probably far more scairce. Here is a pic of the Uni-Flo on our speedster.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 10-07-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Rex_A_Lott

Thanks for the additional info Purdy. Now that I have names, I did some searching....ran across other posts you have made and more tips. Thanks!
Oh, and yes, you did really want that Trojan.