Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
Brian T

Default Front Hubs

Looking for how much run-out is allowable for front wheel hubs, Vincent Falters web site shows it can be trued, but doesn't mention allowances, the flange thickness is close to 1/8.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Front Hubs

I suspect a tolerance is not mentioned because there isn't any?

Not having done it but having read the instructions (probably Vince's) it is apparent that keeping everything perfectly concentric is a challenge - and best overcome by taking "facing cuts" on the hub mating flange, and even doing a truing cut (or grinding) of the drum itself after the bolts are swaged on installation.

I can verify that Rick Freeman's instructions (back in the 1970s) to use the BFH and BASH the wheel lugs out of the hub and drum are NOT the best way to do it. I have two rear hubs that are waiting for their time in the lathe to try to undo the damage.

Snyders recommends machining in part or total to the lug nut studs to ease their removal - and not mentioned in the write up but should be included is a little prayer that the hub will remain straight. Backing up the hub up annularly around the stud helps immeasurably.

The relative fragility of the hubs is one of the reasons many elect to buy the entire assembly together and guaranteed concentric. Certainly also worth checking as a "receipt inspection" item too since so much is riding on it.

But I know full well the wont to "do it yerself." And the disappointment when what ever it is doesn't work out. I'm still shopping Craigslist looking for a 30 ton press which is the minimum recommended by many here for swaging.

Good luck in any case.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 07-14-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote