Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2016, 03:29 AM   #1
37coop

Default 39coupe oil pressure issue.

Hi guys. I,v started the engine on my just restored 39 coupe for the first time in 28 years,fired up quickly ,sounds sweet and throttle responds well,very pleased.....but the oil pressure gauge goes straight round the clock and stays there even on fast tick over ,it has been converted to 12 volt neg earth and fitted with a 6to12 voltage reducer,the oil pan was off and all cleaned out years ago,it has the oil pressure gauge and pump and dial from when I bought it, possibly the original. Any ideas ? It's booked into its first show in August .many thanks. Jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:41 AM   #2
Brian

Default Re: 39coupe oil pressure issue.

Firstly, verify with a mechanical gauge what the oil pressure really is. If the original gauge goes off the clock, does it do it as soon as ignition is turned on, ie, before you fire the engine? If so, could be a short in the sender or wire is shorted.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I agree, you have no idea what is going on until you have a known good oil pressure gauge.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
37coop

Thanks for your advice ,the pressure rises when engine runs ,yup I guess the way forward is as you said use a mechanical gauge ,I haven't got one and being here in the U.K might be difficult getting one with American fittings but will get enquiring ,thanks again. Jim.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37coop View Post
Thanks for your advice ,the pressure rises when engine runs ,yup I guess the way forward is as you said use a mechanical gauge ,I haven't got one and being here in the U.K might be difficult getting one with American fittings but will get enquiring ,thanks again. Jim.
The threads for the gauge are 1/4" pipe. G.M.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If you can order for the US most of the gauge kits come with a large selection of adaptors. Might check out Speedway, Jegs, Simmit, etc.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
TomT/Williamsburg

Check in with Steve Lang - his handle is Langy on the HAMB. He is a dealer in the UK for mostly hot rod stuff but may be or have a source for you ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #8
Mart

Julian at Pop parts plus has the three gauge clusters. I bought a set from a mini spares place up north on ebay. The gauges come with the correct adaptors for the flathead motor. I just checked on ebay and couldn't see any, but google pop parts plus - they're listing some, and Julian had loads on display at the nostalgia nationals. Beware that NPT (American) pipe threads are not the same as BSP. (I guess you already know that). Search Sunpro on ebay they come up sometimes. In my opinion the 270 degree sweep gauges are better than the 90 degree sweep ones.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #9
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Julian at Pop parts plus has the three gauge clusters. I bought a set from a mini spares place up north on ebay. The gauges come with the correct adaptors for the flathead motor. I just checked on ebay and couldn't see any, but google pop parts plus - they're listing some, and Julian had loads on display at the nostalgia nationals. Beware that NPT (American) pipe threads are not the same as BSP. (I guess you already know that). Search Sunpro on ebay they come up sometimes. In my opinion the 270 degree sweep gauges are better than the 90 degree sweep ones.

Mart.
Cheers Mart, I bought a sun pro for my truck,sent over from the states, I was more thinking a temporary unit that I can use to check and hopefully get the in dash working ,I don't mind a mechanical on the truck but I was hoping to keep the 39 dash nice n uncluttered with no add ons ,and I,v got the 270 sweep on the truck ,I will try pop parts plus and take it from there ,most helpful mart as always ,cheers. Jim.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #10
petehoovie

SMITHS GAUGES - Made in the UK > https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p...n-style-cb-cop

Smiths Classic Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge. Gauge reads from 0-100PSi with 270° needle sweep. Pressure pipe is sold seperately. This Smiths Classic gauge can be supplied with either a Chrome or Black bezel. Please select required bezel from drop down menu above when ordering.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 07-13-2016 at 05:27 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:31 PM   #11
37coop

Thanks for your help guys ,will follow up all advice. Cheers. Jim
Old 07-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #12
Mart

Jim, for a temporary quick fit to get a sanity check, any pressure gauge with a similar thread will go in (I'm talking a bsp into the NPT port) It won't be perfect and may leak a little, but it would be enough to allow you to run the engine for 10 minutes or so and see what is happening.

If the pressure is really sky high, you ought to be looking at the pressure relief valve.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote