Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
35 coupe

Default Stainless brake lines,,, INLINE TUBE Junk

Bought stainless tubes (pre-bent) from INLINE TUBE for my 50 f1,and 4 out of 5 would not stop leaking. They told me I have to keep loosing and tightening till they seat. Did this till my snap-on flare wrench started to round off the nut, then they told me they were too tight. I sent pictures of the flares where it dug into the fittings on the front hoses( supposed to do that,they said) they said pics looked good nothing wrong,to keep tightening them. Took the tubes to a brake shop,and the flares are off center, inner flare is not straight, burrs under inner flare, I called INLINE TUBE and they told me to cut the flares off and re do them, I asked how can I when there is no excess and why did I pay for pre bent lines. The answer I got was OH YEA from the assis. manager. Now I have to pay to send them back so they can inspect them, because they can't tell from pics. I asked why they were not inspected before they left, and was told THey should have been. Real Quality...
35 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
jimvette59

Default Re: Stainless brake lines,,, INLINE TUBE Junk

They should have them picked up and replace them at no cost to you.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 coupe View Post
Bought stainless tubes (pre-bent) from INLINE TUBE for my 50 f1,and 4 out of 5 would not stop leaking. They told me I have to keep loosing and tightening till they seat. Did this till my snap-on flare wrench started to round off the nut, then they told me they were too tight. I sent pictures of the flares where it dug into the fittings on the front hoses( supposed to do that,they said) they said pics looked good nothing wrong,to keep tightening them. Took the tubes to a brake shop,and the flares are off center, inner flare is not straight, burrs under inner flare, I called INLINE TUBE and they told me to cut the flares off and re do them, I asked how can I when there is no excess and why did I pay for pre bent lines. The answer I got was OH YEA from the assis. manager. Now I have to pay to send them back so they can inspect them, because they can't tell from pics. I asked why they were not inspected before they left, and was told THey should have been. Real Quality...
Try to get a refund and order a set from Classic Tube or at least tell Inline that is what you would like to do.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Andy

I would find a HAMB member close by that would flare them for you at a nominal cost. I would be glad to do it if you were near. You only loose about about 3/8 inch per end. I sure beats dealing with jerks and shipping the stuff.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
35 coupe

They won't refund my money, because they were installed.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
jkeesey

Do you have the stuff to reflare them?
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
35 coupe

I have a cheap set from harbor freight. I already took the 4 tubes that were leaking and sent them back ups today so they can look at them . Cost me 15.00 to ship and if they feel there is nothing wrong with them they want me to pay for shipping to me.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
jkeesey

So your in another $30. That's ridiculous, if they don't come through it may be time to contact the better business bureau.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
mrtexas

Why bother with stainless steel? I've never had a problem with a modern car as old as 13 years with brake lines? No salt on the road here in Texas. You don't drive in the winter in PA do you?

Bend your own steel lines and save a couple hundred $$. $5 or less per length. I bought standard lengths and have to make the occasional loop to fit. I've done 3 cars like that after I bought one set of pre-bent the first time around.

I have a 65 Corvette show car frame that came with SS. I'll pull them out and replace with steel before I set the body on it.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
jkeesey

I never use stainless brake lines either. It seems to be a little more trouble than its worth.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
paul2748

My opinion, for what its worth, is that stainless lines are a waste of money. Regular steel lines will do what you want them to do, will last a longer time then you will live based on the mileage you will usually put on an old car.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #12
jkeesey

Supposedly the new lines you get with the green coating have been proven to last over 15 years without rusting.