Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
mountain mike

Default 292 Fuel Delivery Problem

I filled up my gas tank on my 55 T-Bird and on the way home it started acting up. I thought that the new gas stirred up some sediment in the tank and clogged the fuel filter.
I replaced the fuel filter and blew out the lines. Car still won't start. Gas is not being squirted into the carb.
Next step replace the fuel pump?
mountain mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: 292 Fuel Delivery Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mike View Post
I filled up my gas tank on my 55 T-Bird and on the way home it started acting up. I thought that the new gas stirred up some sediment in the tank and clogged the fuel filter.
I replaced the fuel filter and blew out the lines. Car still won't start. Gas is not being squirted into the carb.
Next step replace the fuel pump?
Remove the fuel line at the pump and crank it. This will tell you if the pump is at least pumping something. If you don't get any gas squirting out either the pump is toast or you have a blockage upstream of the pump. If you do see it pumping the next step is to test it's output pressure and volume. It could be functional but weak.
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Ole Don

If a bad fuel pump is found, be sure to pull the dip stick and smell the oil. The fuel pump sometimes will leak gasoline into the oil and cause problems. If it does smell, change it ASAP. Not next week, now!
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
mountain mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Gillis View Post
Remove the fuel line at the pump and crank it. This will tell you if the pump is at least pumping something. If you don't get any gas squirting out either the pump is toast or you have a blockage upstream of the pump. If you do see it pumping the next step is to test it's output pressure and volume. It could be functional but weak.
Removed fuel line and nothing. Guess the pump is bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
If a bad fuel pump is found, be sure to pull the dip stick and smell the oil. The fuel pump sometimes will leak gasoline into the oil and cause problems. If it does smell, change it ASAP. Not next week, now!
Crap!! Oil smelled like gas. Oil is currently draining and new oil filter will be here in a few hours.
This happened just about 3 weeks ago. Could I have caused any damage? Is there anything else that I need to do or check?

Thank you both for your help.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
ford3

gas smell in oil means the fuel pump diafram is bad, leaking fuel in oil (duh) and sucking air instead of fuel, watch out for chinese made fuel pumps, they will put out to much pressure and flood the carb, insist on usa made pumps
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
frank long island

I used a speedway 292 pump after I went through 3 electric pumps never had a problem again this pump will not work if you are using vac. wipers and accys.
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Dobie Gillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mike View Post
Removed fuel line and nothing. Guess the pump is bad

Crap!! Oil smelled like gas. Oil is currently draining and new oil filter will be here in a few hours.
This happened just about 3 weeks ago. Could I have caused any damage? Is there anything else that I need to do or check?

Thank you both for your help.
You're prolly OK. Just change the oil & filter and keep an an eye on it. I'm betting you didn't drive far enough with a bad pump to do any damage.
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
mountain mike

Fuel pump was bad. Got it replaced along with the oil and it is now back running. Can't wait to take a Sunday drive.