Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #1
smittykid

Question Here's a question for the Ohio folks

Will the State of Ohio allow the owner to amend the serial # on the title to match the serial # on the block? This is on another 29 Coupe I'm looking at. I'm from Pa. and they are very pickey about the serial# on the title matching the serial# on the car. It has to be verified before the car can be registered in Pa. Any input from my Ohio neighbors will be appreciated. Smitty
smittykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Here's a question for the Ohio folks

I am not from Ohio but think through what you are asking. Somewhere there is/was a title issued to that engine # you have. Their first question (...rightfully so) is going to be where is the title to the car you have? The second question is who has the title issued to the engine?? Their point (...also rightfully so) is the name on that piece of paper is the lawful owner of that engine and just because it is lost or the whereabouts unknown does not change that fact.

We all know the typical answers and over the years many hobbyists have dishonestly/illegally falsified statements so that DMV has issued a title. Even thought DMV has recognized this unethical behavior and tried to put a halt to it, folks (--not just you!) continue to find a way around it.

I realize this will not be considered pleasant but my suggestion is to consider doing it the correct way and hire an officer of the court (attorney) to legally petition for issuance of a title. It can be done in any State however it usually requires time & effort to follow all the required steps. I also realize that 'time & effort' = $$$ in an attorney's viewpoint but some things cost to do it correctly.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
mshmodela

Funny I'm from Ohio and got my car from PA... I suspect unless you have proof of the original block, you'll be running into trouble. I had to have and Out of state inspection to verify the block number... The BMV will ask my the vin they have on record does not match the block now....

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

okay here we go again.. if the car has a good clean Ohio title no verification is required to title it in pa..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
smittykid

Mitch,
If the serial # on the title does't match the serial# on the car-how can it be verified for Pa. registration? They want a tracing of the serial# off the car or a cop or inspection mechanic to verify that the # on the title matches the # on the car. The PENNDOT form # is an MV-41. Am I missing something-I'm just going by what the AAA and Pa. notaries have been telling me for years. Every time I have purchased an out of state vehicle-I had to prove or have the #'s verified.
smittykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
JBill

I had to have a block replaced because of an irreparable crack, so the engine # no longer matched the Indiana title number. I suspect this has happened to Model A owners dozens if not hundreds of times. Anyway, I eventually sold the car and explained this to the buyer, who said not to worry about it, he had a sister working at the DMV!
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

pm sent
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote