Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
thirt4

Default Clarification please

Some time back, I was told that I should NOT attempt to put my nicely built '53 Merc (full house) in my 1934 3 window as it would not fit.

Well, I have now accumilated all the parts to put a 21 stud back into the '34 but find myself questioning that remark.

Before I jump with both feet into the 21 stud project, can I - without any or very little problems - put my 1953 Merc into my '34?

I know the little 21 stud will fit perfectly but ooooooh that missing power from the big Merc.

Should I go ahead with my Merc swap or settle for less with the little 21 stud?
Thank you.
thirt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Clarification please

Were you told by someone here on Fordbarn that you could not put a '53 Mrcury engine in a '34 3 window? Who ever told you this did not give you correct information. It may not be the easy drop in that a 21 stud or a 59 series engine would be, but with parts like a Merc/truck bell housing adaptor, the correct Merc/truck water pumps, front engine motor mount U shaped adaptors and maybe a generator with pulley mount cooling fan and a few other modifications, that Mercury engine will drop right in place in that '34. I did an 8ba swap into an otherwise stock '35 engine compartment in 1960 when I was 16 yrs old.
was still a junior in high school.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Ol' Ron

Yup!!
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Gumpy

It will fit i did the same engine in a 40 merc coupe!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
thirt4

Well... I guess I am going for the Merc after all. Once I am done, I will be selling off a lot of my 21 stud stuff to make space for some other project.

IF it is ok with you fellas, I sure would like to have permission to send you "PM's" off and on for technical information. I know I will need it. Especially the parts about the U shaped adapters, generator mounted fans and that stuff.
I measured the space I will be able to work with versus the size of the block and just do not see how it will fit down in that hole. The radiator seems to be the problem since the fan just barely clears the original / stock fan now. Anyway...

I have seen pictures of this 8BA sized engine already in some different '34's but presumed it was just a "drop in" deal.
You see, my first car was going to be a Model A if my father would have let me have a coupe or even a 2 door but he insisted that I have a 4 door. Then, I would have had a 4 banger when all my buddies had Chevy V8's. Well, I opted to walk another year or two and save my pennies. Since all it took was pennies to buy a car in the early '60's I wound up with my first car, a 1955 Chevy V8.
Man, I got real familiar with that small block Chevy engine over the years that followed and really never considered the flathead again until I got my coupe in the '90's.
I always remembered how nice the flathead looked all dressed up and never could get any of my Chevys to ever look that nice.
Well now I am going to have my "dressed up" flattie to sport around. Maybe not the power of my old Chevys but won't it be sporty? Especially in my 1934 Ford 3 window.
Thanks guys, I have some big work ahead and am anxious to get at it.
JW
Old 03-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

[QUOTE=thirt4;380457]Well... I guess I am going for the Merc after all. Once I am done, I will be selling off a lot of my 21 stud stuff to make space for some other project.

IF it is ok with you fellas, I sure would like to have permission to send you "PM's" off and on for technical information. I know I will need it. ...QUOTE]

I for one would appreciate if you minimize the number of PM's and post your technical questions so everyone can benefit from the responses. Another bad thing for you about PM's is that if someone makes a mistake there is no one to see it and correct it.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
Mike in AZ

what Charlie said....lots of experts here who can guide you thru the process and I, for one, like to learn from reading the questions and answers.....so if you would, do your questioning, etc. on this forum.....good luck.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
thirt4

Thank you Charlie and Mike. It is entirely possible, now that I think if it, the information about the Merc not fitting could have been in a "PM" and your explanations really hits home.
I just wish now... you know that 20/20 hindsight thing, that I had not settled on that answer and it would have saved me a lot of money on parts that I did not really need on a project I don't think I will ever get to. If I ever do build that 21 stud engine, I will most likely just attempt to sell it.
Again, thank you. This website is about the best I have ever gotten onto.
JW
Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
jack orchard

If you decide to put the Merc motor in please post the problems and the soultions here so others (like me) can also learn. Thanks...jack
jack orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Byron Warwick

No problems fitting this 1954 Meteor (Canadian) engine in my '34 pickup. I know the firewalls are different, but the clearances have to be there. I agree, make your posts public and not PMs. You will get a lot more feedback, Byron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSMJune26,2011 004.jpg (80.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Unless you own a machine shop I would suggest you don't try to rebuild the 21 stud and then try to sell it. I don't think you could ever get back the money you put into it. Sell it "as is".

Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirt4 View Post
Thank you Charlie and Mike. It is entirely possible, now that I think if it, the information about the Merc not fitting could have been in a "PM" and your explanations really hits home.
I just wish now... you know that 20/20 hindsight thing, that I had not settled on that answer and it would have saved me a lot of money on parts that I did not really need on a project I don't think I will ever get to. If I ever do build that 21 stud engine, I will most likely just attempt to sell it.
Again, thank you. This website is about the best I have ever gotten onto.
JW
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
38 coupe

The problem with the later motor is the crank pulley to front cross member clearance. Starting in 35 the cross member is no problem. 32-34 have the cross member directly in front of the crank pulley. The 8BA style motors, including the 53 Merc, have a longer crank pulley. To put an 8BA style motor in a 32-53 you have 3 options:

1 - plug the top water passages on the water pump surfaces, run 37-48 water pumps, run a single belt 39-48 crank pulley, and either install a 59A cam & matching distributor or make a taller 8BA style distributor to clear the fan belt
2 - put spacers under the front motor mounts so the crank pulley is high enough to clear the cross member. The fuel pump then hits the fire wall, so you have to blank it off and run an electric fuel pump
3 - cut out a bit of your front cross member.

I recommend either building a 59A, or keep your car correct and use the 21 stud motor.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote