Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Terry, NJ

Default Does anyone make a patch panel for.....

Does anyone make a full cowl patch panel for a 155 Briggs Town Sedan. I've checked Bratton's, Mac's, Snyder's, Bert's and Paul Ellis.... Nada. Plenty of cowl p.p.s but not for fordors. One of the advantages of higher pressure sandblasting is that it exposes bad metal... By blowing it away. My cowl came back full of holes where the rust, disguised as solid metal used to be. So much so that it's been strongly suggested that it would be easier to replace the whole left side panel than to try to fix it. How about a tudor , or some other model P.P.?
T.I.A. Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Does anyone make a patch panel for.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Does anyone make a full cowl patch panel for a 155 Briggs Town Sedan. I've checked Bratton's, Mac's, Snyder's, Bert's and Paul Ellis.... Nada. Plenty of cowl p.p.s but not for fordors. One of the advantages of higher pressure sandblasting is that it exposes bad metal... By blowing it away. My cowl came back full of holes where the rust, disguised as solid metal used to be. So much so that it's been strongly suggested that it would be easier to replace the whole left side panel than to try to fix it. How about a tudor , or some other model P.P.?
T.I.A. Terry
Not a full panel but we made the die to do a partial.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08238.jpg (90.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08434.jpg (78.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08433.jpg (91.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08438.jpg (129.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Project10__018.jpg (43.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Project10__019.jpg (34.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01416.JPG (142.3 KB, 79 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

I used the patch panel for the rear center panel on the 30=31 tudor. This panel is long enough to make patch panels for both sides and some left over. The fordor cowl on my sept. 29 had sit on the ground for years and the lower bead was mostly gone. n
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Terry, NJ

Yes I saw that form die you made. I thought about it and decided against it, this is a one shot deal. Plus, the biggest press I have is a WW2, signal corp, Di acro Kick press. The most I ever could do with it was to kick a 1/8 hole in .060 brass and that was using considerable effort on a weighted pedal arm. If I had a die shoe, I could align the piece into a form die with a thick piece of die rubber and slam the bucket of my Case 580E down on it. But alas......

My problem is that my left cowl is "holed" from the bottom up to the cowl light hole. As I said, This was not imediately obvious until I had a friend sand blast it. It must have been all rust that disintegrated with the sand blasting. It sure looked solid! I had bought a pair of patch panels at Hershey last yeat in anticipation of doing this. and the right side can be done with a standard height p.p.
Thanks for your suggestion
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Not a full panel but we made the die to do a partial.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Terry, NJ

Purdy, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "Rear center panel" Is this a door panel? This may be a way out for me. I'm dealing with a missing bead and the metal up to the cowl light hole. Lotsa Bondo!
Thanks, Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I used the patch panel for the rear center panel on the 30=31 tudor. This panel is long enough to make patch panels for both sides and some left over. The fordor cowl on my sept. 29 had sit on the ground for years and the lower bead was mostly gone. n
Old 02-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
wrndln

If I were you, I would make the patches using sheetmetal and a MIG welder. I have also filled medium holes in sheetmetal with MIG weld without any patch sheetmetal. It is time consuming, but works OK. Just use the stitch weld method and the copper plate behind where you weld. The grinding the welds down is the time consuming part. I have filled in moderate sizes holes (swiss cheese metal) on a 28 tudor fenderwell. With a very little filler, it looked quite nice.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Purdy, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "Rear center panel" Is this a door panel? This may be a way out for me. I'm dealing with a missing bead and the metal up to the cowl light hole. Lotsa Bondo!
Thanks, Terry

I didn't realize how much the panel would need to cover. The panel that I was talking about is on page A-199 in the 2011 Snyders catalog, part number A-850-T . This is a beaded patch panel that is six inches tall for the rear lower panel that the back window is in. This panel is long enough to make patches for both sides of the cowl of the fordor, town sedan, or cabriolet. If the holes in your cowl are as bad as it sounds, you may be better off replaceing the shell of the cowl. good luck.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Dick Carne

Hi Terry -

Mike's A-ford-able shows a cowl patch panel for the 28-29 Briggs and Murray fordors as part no. A014-4DC ($32.95/pr), and part no. A114B for all 30-31 cars ($26.95).

Hope this helps.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
Terry, NJ

Thanks guys! However, I think Mike's is getting his sheetmetal from the same suppliers as every one else. What I need is a full, top to bottom patch panel. Or most of the way to the top. Up to the cowl light hole any way. The six ince one are not going to do do it, .... Unless.... I weld an extension on the one I have now.
To adequately describe what I need, go to the pics that Brent posted and the first one shows the cowl (Right side) Now imagine a continous string of rust holes about a inch wide (Plus the usual bottom damage) starting at the bottom and going up to the cowl light hole. This was all concealed prior to sandblasting. That's my problem! I will have to improvise a P.P. which I can do, but it's one more labor intensive job of which I have enough.
Purdy, The bead at the rear of my 30 Briggs T.S. is roughly 2" wide while the bead at the cowl is about 1 1/2" wide. I have very little access to brake, shear Iron worker, etc. and I'm afraid I would make a mess out of a perfectly good panel trying to duplicate it. But thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll just weld an extension on the new one.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Carne View Post
Hi Terry -

Mike's A-ford-able shows a cowl patch panel for the 28-29 Briggs and Murray fordors as part no. A014-4DC ($32.95/pr), and part no. A114B for all 30-31 cars ($26.95).

Hope this helps.

Dick
Old 02-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Purdy Swoft

Terry, The panel that I was talking about is for the rear panel of a 30-31 tudor and has the same size bead as the lower cowl on the 28-29 fordor and can be cut in sections to make patch panels, it is only six inches tall and not tall enough to work for you. I used this panel because there was no patch panels offered at the time for the 28-29 fordor cowl. The easiest fix would be to cut a patch panel from a used junk cowl. I would check with Berts model A center and see if they had a junk cowl that they would be willing to cut a patch panel from.