Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2023, 08:00 AM   #1
injunwiz

Default '39 Ford Deluxe Fordor Newbie questions

Hello There! I have had many old cars and motorcycles over the years and this is my 1st Flattie Ford! maybe these questions have been answered before, but here goes:

The car is a survivor and is still 6v with Coker bias ply tires. No problems with that for me. New window seals and a few other things have been already installed before I got the car. The day I bought it the rain came in and I had leaking in the cab. The cowl vent is stuck shut and I think that is where one leak is from. Also, it has a radio antenna and a slight leak from the mount hole.
The biggest issue is when the car runs for awhile and gets a little hot it dies and won't start. The man I bought it from said he would pour ice water on the condensor and that would fix the issue, he also provided a new condensor. The anti-freeze mix level is fine and is topped off. It looks like one of the water pumps has been replaced as it is a slightly different color of green and the pulley does not look cast steel like the other pump. Suggestions?
What fuel suggestion? Regular with lead additive and/or Sta-bil of non-ethenal?
The ignition key works for the the doors ok, but not the trunk and glovebox. Are they keyed differently?
Lastly, what is up with the rear vented windows? they open up fine but just flop around when open. Are they designed this way?

I have ordered a manual and hopefully that will be of great help. Any advise from others is apprieciated! The car will be an occasional driver so looking for upkeep/maintenance suggestions.
Thank you in advance!
injunwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:01 AM   #2
mcgarrett

Default Re: '39 Ford Deluxe Fordor Newbie questions

The issue you have with the car dying after running for a while could probably be traced to either a faulty condenser or coil. Heat is the enemy of both. Skip Haney in Florida can rebuild coils better than new. https://skipscoilsandpumps.com/. Buy condensers from someone like Third Gen Automotive. https://thirdgenauto.com/

Use regular low octane gasoline - flatheads are low compression engines & don't need anything more - also, no need for any lead additive. Stabil in the fuel is fine for winter storage.

Ignition, trunk, and glove box lock all used different keys, so that's normal.

The hinges in the rear vent windows are probably worn out or need to be tightened and that would account for them flopping about when unlatched.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:01 AM   #3
JayChicago

Suggest you join the club: https://www.earlyfordv8.org Their monthly magazine alone is worth the annual dues.

You did not list a location where you live, but there probably is a regional group of the club nearby. You will find others with similar cars and similar interests.

BTW, why do so many on this site not list a town or state when completing their profile? Location is often pertinent to a question posted.

Last edited by JayChicago; 07-31-2023 at 10:09 AM.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:09 AM   #4
injunwiz

Thanks for the prompt replies! Great info to start me out. I didn't notice the location field when I signed up. I am in Warm Springs, Ga. about 1 hour South of Atlanta and I work at FDR's Little White House Historical site. We have FDR's 1938 Ford convertible in our museum. My 1939 is the same dark blue color as his.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:11 AM   #5
TJ

The water leak inside the cab is most likely from the corner drains in the bottom of the windshield. Look under the dash and at each corner of the windshield you should find a short steel tube that protrudes from the body opening for the windshield. There should be rubber hoses attached to those tubes and the hoses go behind the cowl panels and empty into the cowl. With no hoses the water just dumps on the floor. Also check the steel tubes to make sure they are not plugged up with dirt, etc. Since you are a new owner you might want to order the Early Ford V-8 Club's 38-39 book. Lots of good info for the 38-39 owner. www.earlyfordv8.org.

Last edited by TJ; 07-31-2023 at 10:17 AM.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:27 AM   #6
marko39

Ignition and door lock should be keyed alike and glove box and trunk another. If you can get non ethanol fuel I would use it along with stabil if you’re not going to drive it a lot.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 11:26 AM   #7
JayChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by injunwiz View Post
Thanks for the prompt replies! Great info to start me out. I didn't notice the location field when I signed up. I am in Warm Springs, Ga. about 1 hour South of Atlanta and I work at FDR's Little White House Historical site. We have FDR's 1938 Ford convertible in our museum. My 1939 is the same dark blue color as his.
With your interest in presidential history, you might like the names Ford marketing used for those dark blue paints. In '37-'38 it was called "Washington Blue". In '39 the so-similar color was called "Jefferson Blue".
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 11:48 AM   #8
deuce_roadster

Welcome! Hard to beat the looks of a 39 deluxe front sheet metal.
While the name Edsel is today synonymous with failure, Henry's son Edsel was mostly responsible for the wonderful styling and colors of the most sought-after early Fords between 32 and early 40s.
You will find some highly regarded experts (like Kube) here that are very willing to give you good advice.
If you send your distributor and coil to Skip, or Michael at 3rd Generation, many of your running problems will go away. As mentioned above coil and condensers are often the culprit.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 01:31 PM   #9
injunwiz

Thanks again to all for the answers and suggestions! I have joined the earlyfordv8 club, same username as here, injunwiz. So, my '39 has Jefferson Blue paint. That is kind of ironic as FDR was writing his Jefferson Day speech when he collapsed the day he died. Jefferson was one of his heroes. Edsel Ford is the one that paid for the glass surrounding the Historic therapy pools here in Warm Springs. I have an original used owner's manual on the way which I think will be useful. I will post some pics soon, the car seems to have an aftermarket heater installed. South Wind type 781 if that means anything here. The radio is a Motorola 501 and is mounted under the dash to the right of the steering column. I have yet to try to see if either one works or has power yet. The bakelite clock knob is missing and the little knob there seems to be ok, but will only turn counterclockwise. Does the glovebox and /or trunk lock cylinder have a code that can be used to make a key? I am in a very small town and need a key made for them.

Last edited by injunwiz; 08-02-2023 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:07 AM   #10
marko39

if you take out the glovebox lock any locksmith should be able to make keys.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote