Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Kevin in NJ

Default The tool for brakes available to highest bidder.

If you want shoes to drum diameter and centered all at once here is the tool on Ebay:

Barrett Brake Doktor on Ebay

No it is not mine.
It is a great board with all the tooling to show you what the tool is.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Glenn C.

Default Re: The tool for brakes available to highest bidder.

Interesting tool !!.....but not today.....I personally don't like the idea of brake dust flying around in my shop.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Jim Mason

been looking for one of those...to bad it isn't closer. Local pick up only in MO...fwiw,jm
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mason View Post
been looking for one of those...to bad it isn't closer. Local pick up only in MO...fwiw,jm
Jim, by the description it sounds like he'll ship it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
Keith True

He does say in the text he will ship it,he probably says pickup only because ebay now wants you to specify a price for shipping.Shipping can vary a little between 30 miles or 3000 miles.How can ebay expect you to estimate an up-front price when you don't even know who will buy something and where the buyer is from?He says it weighs 65 pounds,and will ship USPS,but when you box that up you will be over the 70 pound USPS limit.I found that out a few years ago,I fell into a half dozen of these in a warehouse auction.They were new,still in the boxes.I had to go with UPS because of the weight when I sold them off.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Jim Mason

guess i shouldn't have bailed on the description so fast..thanks..jm
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
1931 flamingo

Could always ask to have shipped in 2 boxes.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
Keith True

Back when I sold all mine off I thought about two boxes,but the cost got above UPS.Another thing about this one for sale is that board it is mounted on.That looks like it could get expensive to ship.That is what makes that unit to me.Mine were all in red steel boxes.I just covered the steel boxes with cardboard.I would want to ship the motor unit in something stronger than a cardboard box too.If that got dropped it could be turned into a useless piece of junk.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:11 AM   #9
sturgis 39

I always stay away from items listed like this one." Motor does not run and needs a new cord" which would be simple to fix. Why has the seller not fixed the cord? The motor could be burned up and not fixable.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
I always stay away from items listed like this one." Motor does not run and needs a new cord" which would be simple to fix. Why has the seller not fixed the cord? The motor could be burned up and not fixable.
I agree, and that sure is a red flag for me also.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #11
Kevin in NJ

The motors are very easy to fix. The one I have came apart and got the bearings re-lubed and the armature cleaned up. It did not want to spin nice due to the dried up gunk in the bearings.

Cords should always be replaced or at least carefully looked over. I personally try to avoid 110V AC as much as possible- Yes I know the feeling. It is like 50/50 that you get bad insulation on stuff this old. Plus depending on the mechanics you want to change it over to a grounded outlet.

Mine is older and has a recessed 'plug' and could not be modified. My garage has gfi outlets so I have some protection. GFI is not the end all on protection, but it does prevent most problems.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
sturgis 39

Like stay at home mom. I use 220, 221 or whatever it takes.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #13
Stinch

Looks like a nice tool to have and I may just take my chances. Never know unless one tries. Hopefully I won't get into a bidding war with another Fordbarner.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinch View Post
Looks like a nice tool to have and I may just take my chances. Never know unless one tries. Hopefully I won't get into a bidding war with another Fordbarner.
I never get into a bidding war. I just wait until the last few seconds to snipe my bid. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not, but at least I gave it a shot with the max I was willing to pay.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
Bill in NJ

So how much is every body going to bid on this?? I won't tell any one else! I promise.
Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #16
jimvette59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in NJ View Post
So how much is every body going to bid on this?? I won't tell any one else! I promise.
Personally If you want to play ebay go on ebay. I would like to buy the tool but I will not play games. Just my opinion.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #17
Stan/MO.

You can use the bus lines to ship large items. I had a turtle deck for my 25 model T roadster shipped from Michigan for $30. Might check into it. Just my luck...something I'm not interested in, and it's in Mo.
Stan/MO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #18
Seth Swoboda

Based on a personal experience having bought two doors for my 39 pickup project, I do not reccomend having anything shipped via greyhound bus. I paid a man $500 for the doors and they were being shipped from Montana. It took a month after I had them paid for to recieve them. Turns out Greyhound lost them and they were laying in a terminal in Chicago. They also dont have a tracking number to help find lost freight, or so I was told by them. Cheaper isn't always better in this case.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #19
Stinch

Guess I was lucky; I had two doors from a MGB/GT shipped via Greyhound from California with no problem. It was easy for me to pick them up in the next town over.

BTW my bid of $400 wasn't enough to win the tool. Maybe next time.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #20
Keith True

There is no way of telling what the other guy really bid either.He could have bid $600.and it would show up as only the increment required to cap your bid.Then again,he might have bid $410.I guess you'll be over to pick mine up before summer hits.With this rain washing the salt off we'll be driving shortly.I have used Greyhound before,I had no problems with the shipping.The only problem I have,is the closest stop is a coffee shop in the historical district of Portsmouth.They have NO room,and to ship you have to haul your packages a half mile from a parking garage.No street parking,and your big packages will sit outside on the sidewalk until the bus picks them up.The city doesn't allow parts and boxes to sit on their nice brick sidewalks with the pretty tables and tea drinkers wandering around them so they want you to get there when the bus comes.I had some fenders coming by Greyhound once,they were coming there.I got a call telling me I had a big package that would be there in less than an hour,so get down to meet it.There were no options,I could be there to meet the bus,or if it sat there for more than a couple of hours the city workers would haul it down to the highway dept.yard and I could pick it up there.40 miles away there is a terminal that will call and I can pick up the next day.They have room.We have a stop here in town,but it is just that,a stop.Just some glass cubicles in a parking lot to hide from the wind.No shipping,no ticket buying,nothing.If I have something big to sell people try to tell me I have a stop in town,because it is listed on the internet.The driver only gets out to open the compartments for passengers there.