Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
jpeconsult

Default Carburetor Question

I recently completed the timing adjustment and made adjustments to the carburetor and the car ran well.

Then I had the brilliant idea to rebuild the carburetor since who knows when it was last done. I cleaned it well and rebuilt it using the instructions. The first time I ran it, it seems it was a tad difficult to shift gears and it was backfiring some. It was obvious it was not running at 100%, so I figured the carburetor needed some fine adjustments.

Before I could make these fine adjustments, I was stopped behind a car at the ATM machine, allowing plenty of space between the cars. The car was in first gear and my feet were on the clutch and brake pedals. I forgot the car was in gear and I removed my foot from the clutch and the car jolted and the engine died. No, I didn't hit the other car, or anything else, for that matter, but after this "jolt", the car ran like junk. It seemed the engine was choking. I pulled over and saw gasoline dripping fast out of the carburetor, so I figured the carburetor was flooded and it would fix itself. The harder I pressed the accelerator, the more it seemed to choke and back fire.

I ended up limping a couple miles home and parked it, however, it seems a few hundred yards before my driveway, the car seemed to have fixed itself.

Its been parked a week, I'm just at a loss. Has anyone has a similar experience, or do you know the cause? To me, it seems carburetor related.

--Jeremy
jpeconsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Carburetor Question

You may have loosened some unseen crud in the carb during your cleaning that has now migrated to one or more of the jets or passages in the carb. Or maybe the float level has been adversely rearranged. Since it began with your cleaning job, I'd take it off and go through it again, making sure everything is truly clean.

Or it could be just one of those cosmic coincidences that seem to happen with these cars, like your condenser just happened to simultaneously go south on you. But do one thing at a time, and start with the carb.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
jmeckel

You may also shook some grud out of the tank or sediment bowl with the jolt, sounds like your float valve is sticking, you may have loosened up some grud in the input screen also as that area can have a mess in it. Go through the carb again, if you have access to a glass bead blaster, remove every brass part and blast every passage, then blow out with compressed air, and then clean every passage with a thin gas welder tip cleaner wire. Reassemble with new gaskets if yours are in poor condition. I would also paint the outside of the carb with a good gas resistant paint.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

You should also install a set of renners flow tested jets and make sure the throttle shaft does not have play
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
Mark DeRoseau

Originally had the idle to high... Difficult to shift. Backfiring, had the idle screw out to far or the GAV in to far... Lean misfire. As far as a leak after the ATM ,had to of got something in the needle and seat. No other real reason for it to leak if it didn't before, made it way too rich and cleared up just before you got home. My guess!
Mark DeRoseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:07 PM   #6
racingrufus

If you installed a new needle and seat I have found that they can leak. Check your old needle and seat and float level. I soak all parts in carb cleaner overnight then rinse in clean water then blow out all passages with compressed air. I use pipe cleaners to check all passages and jets. I use float level clear plastic tube kit from venders and needle and seat shim pack from venders to get float level set correctly.
racingrufus is offline   Reply With Quote