Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2023, 08:58 AM   #1
larry harding

Default hydraulic brake conversion

i am converting my speedster to juice brakes. i lucked into a set of early 50's bendix brakes in good shape practically for free. these are the floating type with the star wheel adjuster. these are considered a desirable brake from my research. with a bit of tinkering and adapting everything mounted up great. one thing i didn't think about was the off set of the original brake drums. the original spoke wheels are about 1 3/8" away from the drum because the drum is larger than the old mechanical drum. is there an adapter available to take care of this? i'm thinking maybe speedway might have something.
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:11 AM   #2
gdmn852

Default Re: hydraulic brake conversion

Hello, Boling Brother has a complete hydraulic brake kit , perhaps you can source some parts from them. My 31 has the kit from them on it but was on car when I bought it, it has some spacers so the original wheels can be used, but only about a 1/4 inch thick . These also have the adjustment like you mentioned.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:32 AM   #3
rotorwrench

Wire wheel through 1935 were designed to seat up on two different levels besides fitting the drum diameter. The inner area around the hub snout has to protrude a fair amount more than the outer diameter outside of the lug studs. Special rings are generally used to adapt them to a later drum. I don't know which drums the OP chose to use but not all drums work well with the model A design wheels. The 39 Lincoln reproduction brake set up will work as will the old Ford 12-inch drums due to the taper of the outer drum shell. The later F100 stuff can be made to work but they are 11 inch drums and they are relatively flat. Most folks use a later type wheel so they don't always have to worry about wheel to drum fit.

These adapters work with flat face drums but they aren't cheap.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Alumi...xoC-h0QAvD_BwE
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:01 PM   #4
Model A Ron

Are you running stock Model A wheels?
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 03:40 AM   #5
updraught

The 1962 brake systems book says 1939-1948 brakes.
http://99wspeedshop.com/OneShot%20-%...%20Systems.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brakes 2023-04-27.pdf (2.44 MB, 32 views)
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 05:10 AM   #6
Model A Ron

If your running stock wheels the mechanical brakes work more than fine if you know how to adjust them. I can lock all 4 wheels without a problem so once your in a skid do you really need more braking?
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 05:54 AM   #7
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
If your running stock wheels the mechanical brakes work more than fine if you know how to adjust them. I can lock all 4 wheels without a problem so once your in a skid do you really need more braking?
Would you spend thousands on the mechanical system if you could get a hydraulic system for free?
Old 04-27-2023, 07:05 AM   #8
jack backer
BANNED

The only benefit to hydraulic is equal application pressure at all wheels. The downfalls are many.. single circuit master cylinders, poor home made inverted flare crimps, using old cylinders without rebuild. Properly maintained mechanical brakes with woven shoes, cast drums and Teds floaters easily rival hydraulic brakes function with one big benefit.. as ford advertising claimed “all steel from pedal to wheel”.. cost is relative, if you are cheap you will cut corners no matter which system you use, disastrous with brakes..
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 07:04 AM   #9
nkaminar

The first hydraulic brakes were used on a race car, using water instead of brake fluid. That's all I remember, except that the car slowed down later in the turns, scaring the spectators.

I suspect that it was soon found that water would boil if the brakes got hot, causing them to lock up.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:04 AM   #10
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Would you spend thousands on the mechanical system if you could get a hydraulic system for free?

YES!

If your brake system is properly restored, it works just fine. Even a free hydraulic system is going to cost you TIME and MONEY to install. Plus there is up keep with hydraulic’s, hoses, fluid, master cylinders. And the car is now changed from as original to something else forever.

The real problem with the mechanical brakes, is the people trying to restore or adjust them. You can’t go cheap! You have to do a complete job! As the factory specifications require. Trying to re engineer the system, is a waste of time.

Done correctly, they work fine.

If it’s free. You get what you pay for.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 06:22 PM   #11
updraught

It's a speedster.
Old 04-29-2023, 05:05 PM   #12
larry harding

i already have the hydraulics mounted and they look good. this is sort of like building a "chopper"bike , I can make it look any way i want. it ain't gonna" be judged by any one but me. i'm one of those sickos who just loves a challenge just see if i can do it. i got a 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 adapter from speedway with the only problem of being it's only 1.25 thick. i hope to come up with a solution as i want to keep the bendix brakes and the 19" wheels. challenges, challenges!
Old 04-30-2023, 07:16 AM   #13
larry harding

i've decided to "bite the bullet" and order the $90.00 adapters those hydraulic brake kits i've seen advertised are around $1000.00. the only real expense i've had is for the (dual)master and plumbing materials. the time spent is my pleasure., so i'm way cheaper than purchasing a whole kit.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:14 AM   #14
jack backer
BANNED

Another modifier.. folks will shun you for such blasphemy.. me? It’s your personal property, do as you desire.. this is the land of the free.
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote