Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
H. L. Chauvin

Default Moth Balls -- Moths, Rodents, Squirrels, Snakes, & Women

Rather than a discussion on whether to use "Bounce", other dryer type pads, or whatever for moth & varmit protection, this is just a simple suggestion for those who prefer to use Model A "moth ball" rodent & varmit protection.

Having never bought moth balls before, the two (2) "old" boxes of moth balls that came with my 1930 Town Sedan, had evaporated down to about 1/3 box in each box, & because of the 100% protection already provided with the supposedly 1960's LeBarron/Bonney interior restoration over 50 years ago, went to Wal-Mart to look for fresh moth balls.

Young cute lady pointed out she much preferred the individually wrapped "Cedar Scented" ones as opposed to the original "smelly" moth balls.

After removing the "old" moth ball boxes, opening all (4) doors to air out same for a day, placed the new cedar scented moth balls in a wide can, (like a cat food can), covered with a thin cloth neatly secured on the perimeter with masking tape. Then, placed the can on the back seat floor & closed all (4) doors.

After a week, when doors were opened, wife much prefers the new cedar scent -- very similar to the modern cedar scented cardboard tree one hangs on one's rear view mirror.

Just a sugestion for the moth ball Model A's that can be thought of as Chick-Magnets.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 04-19-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Moth Balls -- Moths, Rodents, Squirrels, Snakes, & Women

What if rodents like it too???
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Jim,

Thought of that, so left floor boards out for a week -- two (2) car enclosed garage now smells a bit of cedar -- mice quit eating their D-Con -- think they left.

Remember, before moth balls were vintage cedar closets & vintage cedar chests & cedar shavings for pet matresses to drive off fleas.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 04-19-2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
gweilbaker

How does your wife feel about you being pointed buy young cute lady? Oh, I know you're talking about your fordor, he he. Thanks for the heads up.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I like the old fashioned moth balls with the strong scent, but the only thing I can find today is really weak compared to what I used 10 years ago. I put some under the seat and throw some around the garage, but after a few days there isn't much smell, even though the moth balls haven't evaporated.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

Forgot to mention in addition to them coming in a sealed plastic container inside the box, the cedar moth balls were individually wrapped & had to open each prior to placing same in the can -- also was a totally different brand than the original ones --they appear to be keeping the same cedar scent after (2) weeks -- time will tell!

At my son's wedding over 100 young couples had their picture taken under the reception room's porte-cochere while sitting in this Model A sedan -- this was with the "old" moth balls -- good thing I did not have the cedar ones.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 04-19-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Jim,

Thought of that, so left floor boards out for a week -- two (2) car enclosed garage now smells a bit of cedar -- mice quit eating their D-Con -- think they left.

Remember, before moth balls were vintage cedar closets & vintage cedar chests & cedar shavings for pet matresses to drive off fleas.
H.L, Finally went through Pat's 56 year old, mint, Lane cedar chest today, beautiful! Still with key envelope & all labels in the lid. NO insects, I'm still giddy from the cedar aroma! Found my birth certificate, see, I wasn't REALLY hatched, as Chief would always say! (RASCAL!) Bill W.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
luckyal

I like the idea ! Sure beats hell out of the odor thta never seems to go away from the most balls / crystals.
Thanks, I will try it !
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Rusty Homestead Fl

I would think cedar would attract mice, along with hamsters, guinea pigs, rats, etc. from every pet store in the area. That's what we put in their cages when I was a kid.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
H. L. Chauvin

Maybe An Interesting Cedar Experiment:

Try removing the aromatic cedar sold for placing in rodent cages & substitute another non-aromatic wood like may poplar or oak.

After these other species of wood soaks in rodent pee over the weekend, ask the pet shop owner for a Monday morning olfactory comparison report.

Saw quite a few rat holes in walls of very old houses & stores & cupboards -- never saw one in a cedar chest, but always a first.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
Willit Stop

It's bad enough that someone has to castrate a bunch of moths, but to make them smell like cedar is just plain sick.LOL
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
metalho

Moth Balls -- Moths, Rodents, Squirrels, Snakes, & Women? OH MY
metalho is offline   Reply With Quote