Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2024, 12:56 PM   #21
jeepguy1948

Default Re: Evans Aluminum Heads

FWIW Edlebrock make 2 different heads 1115 with 64 CC and 1116 with 75 CC. They are in fact the same casting but the 1116 chambers have been hogged out some. We are currently dealing with some 1115 heads that CC 74 after many tests. I realize that my measurements are not perfect but my results are consistent (these heads are new, not used. We have another set of heads on the way and I will measure them as well. I would not normally measure new heads but the valve area looked huge compared to the heads we took off. For quite awhile we thought that the heads were in the wrong box because Edlebrock does not mark the heads in any way to identify which ones they are, you can only tell by looking at the chamber. The larger ones are aimed at 7.5:1 for blower motors and such. We are waiting on that new pair of heads to arrive to pursue the question some more (the first pair has already been returned).. I know enough to take surface tension into account (I am not using a plate over the chamber) but I have been very careful and I can’t see me being off by 10 CC. The Edlebrock heads we removed from the motor have undoubtedly been milled (at least one of them for sure) but they measured 64cc. I find it hard to believe that a Flathead could be milled enough to change the chamber that much. Also, there was no interference with the piston nor the valves with a Max 1 cam. When using a depth gauge the “new” heads measured a full .125” deeper over the valve pocket as compared to the “old” heads.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 03:28 PM   #22
Jumbogem29

Interesting keep us posted in your findings thanks
Jumbogem29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 07:09 AM   #23
Bored&Stroked

Jeep Guy: That does not surprise me at all. One can see by looking at the amount of material they now mill from above the valves that the chambers are a lot bigger than the older "as cast" chamber versions.

They are now going about .500 deep over the valves - maybe because they just wanted to "punt" and not get any tech support calls due to folks having their valves hit the heads on very high-lift cams.

It makes no sense to me why they just did this "one size fits all" machining operation - but they did. This is why if using Edelbrock heads on the street I would run the 1115 chambers - then tune the squish to .040 (which probably means milling them a bit).

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 06-03-2024 at 02:31 PM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 07:28 AM   #24
Ol' Ron

When I was doing compression work on combustion chambers( Ieven mad my own flow bench) I discovered the fact that finding the chamber volume was impassable!!! Si I mad aCC measuring tube for the spark plug, then measured the volume of the head. then instaled head on engine and placed the piston about1/4 below TDC added about 30 cc more than the head volumn and found the culpurt?? I had 12 more cc's than the heads
Probably the clearance over the piston and a few other places.?????
For a Veru old design, it keeps getting beter
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 01:24 PM   #25
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy1948 View Post
FWIW Edlebrock make 2 different heads 1115 with 64 CC and 1116 with 75 CC. They are in fact the same casting but the 1116 chambers have been hogged out some. We are currently dealing with some 1115 heads that CC 74 after many tests. I realize that my measurements are not perfect but my results are consistent (these heads are new, not used. We have another set of heads on the way and I will measure them as well. I would not normally measure new heads but the valve area looked huge compared to the heads we took off. For quite awhile we thought that the heads were in the wrong box because Edlebrock does not mark the heads in any way to identify which ones they are, you can only tell by looking at the chamber. The larger ones are aimed at 7.5:1 for blower motors and such. We are waiting on that new pair of heads to arrive to pursue the question some more (the first pair has already been returned).. I know enough to take surface tension into account (I am not using a plate over the chamber) but I have been very careful and I can’t see me being off by 10 CC. The Edlebrock heads we removed from the motor have undoubtedly been milled (at least one of them for sure) but they measured 64cc. I find it hard to believe that a Flathead could be milled enough to change the chamber that much. Also, there was no interference with the piston nor the valves with a Max 1 cam. When using a depth gauge the “new” heads measured a full .125” deeper over the valve pocket as compared to the “old” heads.

So interesting enough, I just installed a brand new, from the box set of 1126's (Block letter version of the 1116's). I CC'd both heads and got 70cc's.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 02:32 PM   #26
Bored&Stroked

Well, I have a brand new set of Eddy heads - will have to CC them. First, I need a hunk of plex! LOL
Old 06-03-2024, 02:38 PM   #27
Jumbogem29

Getter done 1126,1115,1116 which Eddys
Jumbogem29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 12:54 PM   #28
RalphM

I have an original set I’m planning to use for a 59AB in my 35. Anything I should know about these?
Really more for looks/nostalga rather than performance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6125.jpg (75.3 KB, 96 views)
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 01:09 PM   #29
Bored&Stroked

Would be nice to post a picture of the chambers - so folks can see how different the original "cast chambers" are as compared to these new repop heads (as well as the Edelbrocks).
Old 06-04-2024, 01:12 PM   #30
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
I have an original set I’m planning to use for a 59AB in my 35. Anything I should know about these?
Really more for looks/nostalga rather than performance

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 01:31 PM   #31
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Would be nice to post a picture of the chambers - so folks can see how different the original "cast chambers" are as compared to these new repop heads (as well as the Edelbrocks).
EVANS

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 06-04-2024, 01:32 PM   #32
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I’ll try and snap one when I get home tonight.
Old 06-04-2024, 07:35 PM   #33
Bored&Stroked

Great looking set of heads - in fantastic shape! I wished I owned them . . . would be nice on a big cube blown motor! LOL

Notice how completely different the chambers are as compared to the latest repop versions. The repops almot look like they copied the modern Edelbrock's and then made the transfer areas deeper . . . makes little sense to me!

It is obvious that these originals have a lot better chambers than the repops!
Old 06-06-2024, 12:43 AM   #34
RalphM

Mine are not as pretty as those for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1875.jpg (39.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 06-06-2024, 01:12 AM   #35
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Mine are not as pretty as those for sure.

Old 06-06-2024, 07:23 AM   #36
Bored&Stroked

They look pretty good to me. Interesting that they have a pretty deep transfer area as well - good for flow and higher RPM usage for sure. Would be interesting to CC them.
Old 06-06-2024, 08:50 AM   #37
RalphM

They are stamped with only 281, unlike the ones above that have 2811?