The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best Type of Heater to Install (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59605)

VCS2 01-21-2012 10:47 AM

Best Type of Heater to Install

Hi,
Have been planning all the things for my car while I start my rebuild/restoration, and the wife is insisting on a heater being installed! I live in southern california where cold and weather is not a big deal, but late night runs to the local Bob's Big Boy can get a lil nippy.

I am building a traditional 1940's style 29 roadster with V8-60 flathead. Just wanted to inquire what the best setup to with? Vintage out of another car of the era? Aftermarket?

As you all know, looks and space consideration are a comcern.However an effcient, safe and reliable setup for a heater is the most important.

Barry B./ Ma. 01-21-2012 11:10 AM

Re: Best Type of Heater to Install

I would think that an Autolite bolt on hot air heater would be quite adequate in Cal.
It would require a hole in the firewall and the proper exhaust manifold. I hve one in my coupe and it is fine in New England as long as the tmp is over 25 deg. F.

Blessyouboys 01-21-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. (Post 347893)
I would think that an Autolite bolt on hot air heater would be quite adequate in Cal.
It would require a hole in the firewall and the proper exhaust manifold. I hve one in my coupe and it is fine in New England as long as the tmp is over 25 deg. F.

I didn't know there are Autolite heaters for a V8 flathead.

Do you have a picture of one?

miss victoria 01-21-2012 12:57 PM

Ialso live in california, have installed a heat and air cond. kit that i made up. warm in the winter and cool in the summer!! p.s dont have a wife but it keeps me happy.

John LaVoy 01-21-2012 12:57 PM

I'm not sure the manifold heaters will work on the V-8 Snyder's offers a heater that mounts on the firewall that uses water from the radiator and an electric fan. You should be able to adapt that to work. We actually put heated seats into the sedan and didn't install any heater.

fordfixer 01-21-2012 12:57 PM

They have aftermarket water heaters that work just fine.

Fred K-OR 01-21-2012 01:42 PM

Barry or Gar-Do either of you have a picture of your manifold? I had a "heater" type manifold on my coupe when I purchased it and I am trying to identify what brand of heater it is and what type of cover I need for it.

Thanks

CHuDWah 01-21-2012 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There are manifold heaters for flatheads but the ones I've seen are complicated and ugly - plus manifold heaters are hard to regulate. Aftermarket places like Vintage Air sell compact hot water heaters but they're just black boxes. There usually are some vintage ones on ebay - they're just a small radiator with an electric fan but they usually have a cool art deco cover. They're mostly six volt but a twelve volt motor can be adapted with a little ingenuity. They can be recored but of course it's cheaper to get one with a good core. Otherwise, just refinish the cover as necessary. You can buy new rotary switches that look old-timey and allow you to vary fan speed - it also helps to put a shutoff valve in the water line.

For example, this one's currently on ebay - even looks like a Model A radiator:

PeterC 01-21-2012 01:56 PM

I like the original 39-40 Ford hot water heaters - very functional and a nice classic 40's look.

Al Bass 01-21-2012 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is my HaDees heater in the 31 tudor

Aerocraft 01-21-2012 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, I missed the fact that the application was for a V-8-60. I did have an accessory manifold heater for my V-8 '34 Fordor but recycled it due to poor condition and the concern that I could not inspect it well enough to insure that I would not be breathing exhaust gas. I prefer hot water heaters for the early V-8s. There are many to pick from.

To answer the question for a picture of the Model A Autolite, it is below. It has been my experience that there must be at least three different patterns used for casting the exhaust manifolds. The varience is in the depth of the fins. The deeper the fins, the more heat transfer. Gar Williams

silvertop 01-21-2012 02:45 PM

I would think finding a 40's style heater small enough to fit into a roadster and still allow your wife good leg room will be your biggest challenge. Once you have done that, make it safe and reliable.

I have not seen any of the aftermarket heaters, being sold lately, that would meet your criteria.

Rainmaker Ron 01-21-2012 03:03 PM

I built a custom under the seat heater for a friend of mine. I selected an oil cooler that would fit the space available from a J.C. Whitney catalog. Radio Shack sells a variety of 6 or 12 volt fans. From there it is a piece of cake.
Rainmaker Ron

mass A man 01-21-2012 03:17 PM

I'm running both, an Autolite "bolt-on" manifold heater in pick up and an OTWELL manifold heater on the Town sedan. Only draw-back is with those type, you should have an aftermarket oil filler pipe "blow-by tube" also. Without one, I noticed some smoke in cab. I feel the hot water type are good, but they can make pulling front floor board out a hassle. Since we're on the topic, please forgive me for asking my question here on VCS2's thread, but what the heck are the 2 little holes for on the front end air intake of all the Autolite bolt on castings? Some kind of screen or cover?? I've never seen one but the holes are always there.

gpits68 01-21-2012 03:19 PM

i am building a 29 open cab ,basically stock looking,but plan on converting to 12 volt and making my own seats,being heated seats.gotta keep the wife warm.

Tom Wesenberg 01-21-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mass A man (Post 348082)
I'm running both, an Autolite "bolt-on" manifold heater in pick up and an OTWELL manifold heater on the Town sedan. Only draw-back is with those type, you should have an aftermarket oil filler pipe "blow-by tube" also. Without one, I noticed some smoke in cab. I feel the hot water type are good, but they can make pulling front floor board out a hassle. Since we're on the topic, please forgive me for asking my question here on VCS2's thread, but what the heck are the 2 little holes for on the front end air intake of all the Autolite bolt on castings? Some kind of screen or cover?? I've never seen one but the holes are always there.

Sometimes a large square funnel was added to the front of the manifold heater to capture more air. I bought one just for show & tell.

VCS2 01-21-2012 04:43 PM

Wow! So many options and great information. I am actually using allot of 40 Ford parts in the car, without knowing the specifics, do you all think I could adapt something from the 40 sedanheater to a model A?

Tom Wesenberg 01-21-2012 05:29 PM

I would do something like Rainmaker Ron did. I'd use any heater core from a junkyard and make my own box for it and mount it under the floor, then send the heat up through a floor grate. This way no interior room is used up.

steve s 01-21-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCS2 (Post 348138)
Wow! So many options and great information. I am actually using allot of 40 Ford parts in the car, without knowing the specifics, do you all think I could adapt something from the 40 sedanheater to a model A?

Adapting's the name of the game. Here's some pics of what I've been using. Painted it up to match interior. Removing floor boards is little trouble. Had to bend the fuel shutoff valve handle a bit. Found it in an old truck in a junk yard, back in the days when you could just wander around in junk yards--suggest you try the same if there are still such places in your area.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...30-08_0007.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...repairs030.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...IMGP0386-1.jpg

Charlie Stephens 01-21-2012 05:57 PM

Nice period heaters used to show up at swap meets frequently (even in California). I must admit I haven't looked recently. Are you going to catch the Big Three swap meet in February in San Diego?

Charlie Stephens