The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Analyze this . . . (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272103)

Werner 11-10-2019 03:09 PM

Re: Analyze this . . .

1 Attachment(s)
Dann,

you can also use modern iridium spark plugs (NGK) with adapter. They have a high heat spread. The center electrode is pulled forward and always burns clean. They are a bit more expensive, but you can drive> 50,000 miles.

I take the lowest heat value.

DannL 11-10-2019 09:22 PM

Now I am a believer. Put some MMO in the tank for the first time. Perty much felt that I had to do it, with all the recommendations. In less than a mile I could easily see the engine was running smoother. Very interesting . . . indeed. Will check plugs in about 30 miles more.

redmodelt 11-11-2019 12:38 AM

I don't understand why all this fuss about what the plugs look like in 30 miles. Put a set in and drive it. Unless it starts to miss don't mess with them. Put some real miles on them.

DannL 11-11-2019 03:54 AM

Ibn
Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1820073)
I don't understand why all this fuss about what the plugs look like in 30 miles. Put a set in and drive it. Unless it starts to miss don't mess with them. Put some real miles on them.

Recently, it only took a few miles to foul the plugs to where the car would no longer start. So, just for now, l'm using 30 as a gauge troubleshooting wise. Oh, l would love to just drive . . . . trust me. But having a car that starts when it's needed is also perty handy. :-)

F.M. 11-11-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannL (Post 1820082)
Ibn Recently, it only took a few miles to foul the plugs to where the car would no longer start. So, just for now, l'm using 30 as a gauge troubleshooting wise. Oh, l would love to just drive . . . . trust me. But having a car that starts when it's needed is also perty handy. :-)

Try looking into your Carb for your problem !!.

30 Closed Cab PU 11-11-2019 11:40 AM

For fouling in 30 miles I suspect you may only get marginal improvement with the W18s.

Try the w18s, if issue not resolved as FM indicates most likely your carb is running way too rich. Try cleaning the carb, clean the passages/jets, can replace Jets using Renners Corner Jet kit (they come flow tested). Or if you have or can borrow a known good carb. swap in a different carb.

F.M. 11-11-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1820169)
For fouling in 30 miles I suspect you may only get marginal improvement with the W18s.

Try the w18s, if issue not resolved as FM indicates most likely your carb is running way too rich. Try cleaning the carb, clean the passages/jets, can replace Jets using Renners Corner Jet kit (they come flow tested). Or if you have or can borrow a known good carb. swap in a different carb.

That is exactly what I said in post #2 above !!..

30 Closed Cab PU 11-11-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F.M. (Post 1820182)
That is exactly what I said in post #2 above !!..

Yep, was agreeing with you, a rehash, and adding a suggestion or 2.

F.M. 11-11-2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1820187)
Yep, was agreeing with you, a rehash, and adding a suggestion or 2.

Yup, You can lead a Horse to water "BUT" !!

DannL 11-11-2019 05:01 PM

I also would agree had I not recently changed carburators at someones suggestion. This horse can't hardly drink much more water. (Thats meant to be a funny btw.) Nobody has suggested an engine rebuild. I wonder why. ;-)

ETAModel 11-11-2019 05:29 PM

DannL, I was going to ask how's the compression, and is she using oil? I'm new on here, but the 30 Fordor I'm driving will hit 45mph before you can say Bob's Your Uncle, (as my Brithish cousin says), and tours along at 50 likes its nothing. I actually have to watch my in town driving or I'll get the red/blue light special.

IMHO, the plugs look a little rich, basing this on years of small engines and farm tractor use. I bought a set of hot range plugs for my Farmall, hoping to lease some farm land, but it fell thru. Now i have to clean #3 plug regularly...I should get a new set of plugs.

Good luck, hope the weather is nicer in OKC than here...BRRRRRR!!!

wmws 11-11-2019 05:35 PM

The fact that MMO helped smooth things out leads me to believe part of your trouble is sticking valves. You are running too rich also. Do you have an air cleaner on there especially a paper one?

F.M. 11-11-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannL (Post 1820272)
I also would agree had I not recently changed carburators at someones suggestion. This horse can't hardly drink much more water. (Thats meant to be a funny btw.) Nobody has suggested an engine rebuild. I wonder why. ;-)

Rebuild the Engine ?? Why,?? Put in the plugs you have been told to and get a GOOD Carburator and drive it all day..

30 Closed Cab PU 11-12-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannL (Post 1820272)

So you tried another good carb, no help? Re-read this string and did not see this info.

Perhaps a summary of what has been done would help, if the W18s do not solve your issue.