Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
trainguy

Default fuel pump

I have a 46 Ford and a $6 Merk. that suffer from the same problem.They both have electric fuel pumps in line with the mech pump.They will run with the electric pump turned offf but sometimes when climbing hill or during hot starts the engines cut out or will not start ,if I turn the pump on the engine rune normally.Both have 94 carbs.Don,t like runnig the electric pump thru the mech due to diaphram problem and filling the crancase with fuel.Any suggestions.Thanks Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: fuel pump

Check the cloth covered fuel line link on the firewll to make sure it isn't corroded and collapsed on the inside. You might also have a pin hole leak in the fuel pump rubber diaphragm. Check your oil to see if it smells like gasolene is present. Does your needle valve in your carb get "stuck"? Could your condensor be bad?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
trainguy

I had flex line problem on my 36,have replace all with the modern alky proof hose.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Karl Wolf

It may be that there is an impedance in the electric pump- that is, some fuel can get through, but not much... I would see if I could blow though the electric pump... off the car... Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
trainguy

I was thinking that also.I was thinking of putting a line around the pump with a check valve to prevent the electric pump from pumping back to the tank.Anybody know where I coud find a check valve with almost 0 spring pressure?Phil
Old 08-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
50 merc

try an anti syphon valve from a boat.
50 merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
50 merc

This may sound a little bit out there however I was speaking to an older gentlman at a local cruise night with a similar problem on his Packard he smiled and winked at me and then showed me his fix. Belive it or not he put a primer bulb from an outboard motor fuel line in line before the pump. Says he has ran the car this way now for two years and never has had a problem. He said it also works great fror spring start up after the car has sat all winter. I will let you come to your own conclusion on this one. But he is an elder and been around the hobby along time.

Cheers
50 merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
G.M.

I had a lot of problems with flex hoses running this new gas for the past 3 or 4 years. Last year I started using the new flex hoses from Bob Shewman made out of the material used by the space program. My hose problem ended since switching. He makes 2 types, one like the stock hose and one with a check valve built in the fitting at the pump end of the hose. The hex on the fitting is about a 1/4" longer to make room for the built in valve. This valve holds the fuel in the pump not allowing it to return to the tank after the engine is shut down. Even after sitting for days the fuel is right there and the engine don't have to crank for several minutes to get gas up to the carb. I drive my old Fords more then most people and in 90 degree weather most of the time and never have a starting problem when the engine is hot or cold. I never needed and electric pump and don't like the thought of cutting the fuel line and adding the pump and two hoses in a place you can't see them. If you have an eletric pump it should have a spring loaded switch so you have to hold it on when in use. Bob can be contacted at 1-610-933-6637 or [email protected] his hoses are gauranteed for 5 years but should last as long as you have the car. G.M.

Last edited by G.M.; 08-05-2010 at 05:03 PM.
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
trainguy

GM ,Thanks for the phone number,I have his hoses on 2 of my cars.Maybe he will sell me the check valve to go around my elect pump.Phil
Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
CWPASADENA

Thumbs up Re: fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
I had flex line problem on my 36,have replace all with the modern alky proof hose.

I AGREE;

I have made up hoses for all my Flat Heads using modern hose.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
TomO

Your problem may be related to the installation of the electric fuel pump. The stock fuel pump may be sucking air through the connections for the electric pump. Loose connections may not leak gas, but leak air.