Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Bill in NJ

Default Does a Model T body fit on a Model A Frame ??

Thinking of buying a 1912 repro Torpedo Roadster Body and base and wanted to know if it will fit on the Model A frame ?? I do not know what the dimemsions of the body are even. Thanks in advance for any info
Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: Does a Model T body fit on a Model A Frame ??

check out this thread:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...hlight=mercury
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
columbiA

I dont think it would look right as the A frame is wider at the rear.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
rogeroadster

Since this is not really a model A topic we are probably treading on thin ice here not to mention this is probably a lot more work than you have in mind, but here's what I am doing to make a model A frame fit my model T roadster...

I'm using a Model A frame that had the horns previously torched off, I turned the frame rails around because I like the narrow taper of the rear portion of the frame. I stepped the rear 3 inches and stretched the frame 7 1/2 inches to lower and car and accept the 37 rear end. I narrowed the frame to a stock T width of 23 inches at the front crossmember and (not stock T width) 35 inches at the rear crossmember. Right now I am boxing the frame and building motor mounts to accept the model B engine and T-5 trans. So...yes I think it will fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boxing_011_01.JPG (153.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg boxing_015_01.JPG (164.2 KB, 120 views)
rogeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
jkeesey

It'll fit fine with a little persuasion. Ive got a 1915 Saxon roadster body on an original model a chassis with virtually no work to either component. Literally I picked the body up off its original chassis and sat it on top of the a frame. Shouldn't be a problem for you.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
Hotrodfil

My main jiggery-pokery was taking out the footboard supports so that I didn't need to bend the pedals and building a rad the right height.
Mine worked out OK so I'm trying to track down another abandoned rolling chassis for the T coupe body I have!

Replica 1912 body would need a low rad, or bras rad to look right. Is it part of the kit?

We've been looking at a '24 roadster with a turtle deck on an A frame recently and the stock chassis sticks out the side of the deck in not a pretty way...
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
tmiller6

I own one of these conversions and my son owns a '12 so I can assure you that the firewall area and pedal arrangement will definitely be a problem. My advice is don't do it. The guy who owned my car before me shortened the frame and drivetrain components and messed up the pedals. The radiator shell also got ruined in the process of trying to make it fit a Model A radiator. I did the only humane thing to his work. I took it all apart and put the body back on a T frame.

Last edited by tmiller6; 11-02-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: wordy
tmiller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
tmiller6

I probably should add the body I put back on the T frame is not my kid's 1912 body. The 1912 body-frame combination poses extra problems because the earlier frames are narrow with bolted on forged brackets to receive the body. For this reason, a 1912 body will not fit on a 1914 or later T chassis without extensive modification to the rear of the frame. Obviously this situation will get worse with a Model A chassis.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
columbiA

A 1912 body will fit a 14-25 chassis with no mods as the later rear X member was extended to make up for the elimination of the seperate rear body mount bracket.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
tmiller6

The extended rear cross member is precisely why a 1912 and earlier body will not fit a later T- frame without modifying the frame or the body. I discovered this in the middle of Missouri when I tried to support the back portion of my son's 1912 body with a 1914 cross member and 2x4 frame that I had made special for the trip.

The earlier T-bodies are made with a rear skirt that drops over the aforementioned forged brackets. This skirt will not clear the later rear crossmembers.