Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
41LjH

Default 40/41 speedometer problem

Need a little help!
Found out the speedometer gear is not turning. When I got the truck in 2009 the speedometer was erratic. So I found another turtle with a good gear and put it in(photo 1&2). Now the cable end, also new does not turn. When I took the turtle off it looked like the gear on the drive-shaft had moved back(photo 4). So I moved the drive-shaft gear forward (photo 3), put it back together, started it on the lift, put it in gear and still nothing. Pulled it back apart and the drive-shaft gear had moved back again(photo 3).
I don't know how to engage the turtle to the drive shaft gear. Really need some help!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (20.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (19.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (40.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (41.6 KB, 35 views)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: 40/41 speedometer problem

Photo 3 looks about right for the drive gear. there are spacers to use to center the drive gear. Also, do you have the correct speedometer cable and housing?
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
41LjH

I think everything is correct. Where do I get spacers and how do I install them?

Old 07-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
Terry,OH

There is only one spacer (washer) between the drive shaft gear and the bearing to the rear of the gear. The gear should move back and forth about 1/4" or less, when properly installed. From your photo it appears the snap ring to the front of the drive shaft gear has moved forward of it's recess on the drive shaft. You want to move it rearward until it snaps into the recess. This will decrease the amount of end play the drive shaft gear has and should keep it under the turtle gear. With the cable installed on the turtle turn the turtle gear by hand and the speedo should react slightly. This will check out the cable and all of it's connections.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
ken ct
BANNED

The turtle could have the wrong gear in it smaller gear[less teeth on gear makes it smaller] and wont engage the drive gear. Its happend before.ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
41LjH

Moved the snap ring til it seated and the turtle is a 19 same as what came on the truck. Still won't engage. I assume with everything installed and the truck on the lift when I start it in gear (3rd) and rev to 2,000 RPM the cable should turn, right?
After nothing happened I took the turtle off and the drive shaft gear had moved back to the position in photo 4.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
41LjH

Question Re: 40/41 speedometer problem

Guys, still no solution for this problem! I didn't want to bore everyone with details but I am interfacing with a Stewart Warner electronic speedometer using a Dakota Digital speedometer generator. I mention this because it eliminates the cable and original speedometer as possible reasons for the problem. Haven't seen this done before, but without the turtle gear meshing with the speedometer gear on the torque tube, nothing will work. Because I am using an electronic speedometer I think any gear that will mesh (18,19,21) should be OK because I will calibrate the speedometer after the new tires are on the truck.. I have cleaned the turtle gear and it spins freely. I have hooked to a new speedometer cable to see if it turns and the cable does not turn.I checked the stamping on the rear end and a 19 is correct for the rear end. Everything on the torque tube seems correct and the snap ring is now in place. I must be missing something simple and welcome any ideas. I really don't want to unbolt the torque tube!!
Thanks

Old 07-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Charlie ny
BANNED

Take a look at the nose of the turtle.....SOME cable drives do not have a
female square drive but instead use a tang drive. In those turtles the square male
end of the cable has nothing to grab on to.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
41panelmark

I had a similar problem when I changed the gears in my rear end and then had to change the turtle. I had 2 turtles that had the same number but had different depths. Ended up getting a N.O.S. one off of the net, works fine.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote