Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
700rpm

Default The price of tires—Yikes!

I just got my new Bratton's catalog, and checked out the tires because I'm thinking my coupe will need some this year. 21" Goodyear blackwalls: $171 ea! 21" Goodyear whitewalls: $206 ea!!! YEOW! Based on 2008 prices, if I put these numbers into my inflation calculator the 2012 prices should be about $128 and $156 respectively.

I remember buying my first new tire for my Model in in 1961 from Wards. It was a blackwall and cost me $10. Again using my inflation calculator, that same tire should only cost about $75 today. If Wards still existed and if they still sold them, do you think they's only be $75?

On the other hand, I was earning only $1.25/hour in 1961, which was minimum wage, and today that would only be about $10.50. So minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation either.

This isn't Bratton's or any other supplier's fault. But something has changed significantly in the marketplace and way products are being priced. What was once affordable to the middle class has slipped away. For a retired guy on a fixed (broken) income, this is getting to be a way expensive hobby!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 02-16-2012 at 11:00 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: The price of tires—Yikes!

Since you ended your comments by stating this is an expensive hobby, how much (percentage wise, --not $$) should a person spend on their hobbies?

For example, I was taught that the first 10% of my paycheck was meant to be a Tithe, and that I should live in a manner where 10% of each paycheck would go into Savings. That meant that I had/have 80% of my check to go to supporting my family and to "play". Therefore, hi-jacking this thread a little, what's the maximum percentage of a person's income (--or retirement) should they allocate towards their hobbies??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
30modelA

just think a set of tires now days cost more than a modelA did new. i agree im about to put a set on my tudor, and its gonna hurt
30modelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
montanafordman

Ouch. My tires are pretty dry rotted and will need to get some sooner or later as well. I'm not looking forward to dropping that kind of money. I need tires on my modern car first. Maybe in 2 or 3 years.... wonder how expensive they will be then!
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
tuneman

This is just the reason i"am switching to 16" tires and rims .
tuneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

A few months back, September 2011, I advertised on this forum a special that Kelsey Tire (Goodyear) was running for Model A tires.

Sure glad I got into that deal at the time...We paid $140.00 for blackwalls, both 19 and 21 inch.

It was soon after that, that the tire price went up to about $175.00 each.

Plus, I do not think that the "quality" of rubber are on todays tires as it was a few years ago. Seems like we may not be getting the mialige out of them as we once did.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
Isn't this the same reason why so many Model As had 16-inchers back in the late 30's and 40's.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Check around and see if you can land some USED tires first. A lot of guys are trying to ditch white walls for black walls and vice versa. You can save a lot of coin, then stash a little away every month or so and in a couple of years you can spring for brand new. Just a thought.

I noticed that the tires in John Stone's 'Barn Fresh in Kansas' pics, did you see that at least the right front was a Ward's Riverside? Still looks decent after all those years. Tubes will hold air. Those were darn good tires and looked good too.
I have two Riverside tires that I use as spares, there is some cracking but really not in bad shape. I will have to buy one tire this summer and it will be a little more pricey because it will be a white wall

dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
tuneman,
YOU, Me and a ton of other A owners! And, lots of good reasons besides cost of new 19/21" tires. Availability, tire construction options, modern materials, cost considerations, safety concerns(braking/wear), variety, tread design, tracking and on/on! I've noticed that serious driver As and clubs run the 16s. If you/anyone has a flat/blowout/whatever, you can borrow a 16 and/or have tow truck operator bring 16". Hey they look good also
BTW- I have always been told that to run tires that are more than 4/5 years old is risky and should not be done. I've had and seen Model A tires that were older that dirt and CRACKED. Running tires of this condition/age, is an invitation!

Last edited by hardtimes; 02-16-2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: add...
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Since you ended your comments by stating this is an expensive hobby, how much (percentage wise, --not $$) should a person spend on their hobbies?

For example, I was taught that the first 10% of my paycheck was meant to be a Tithe, and that I should live in a manner where 10% of each paycheck would go into Savings. That meant that I had/have 80% of my check to go to supporting my family and to "play". Therefore, hi-jacking this thread a little, what's the maximum percentage of a person's income (--or retirement) should they allocate towards their hobbies??

An interesting question Brent. I actually look at my hobby as being "off-budget." So I don't figure it as a percentage of my meager SS monthly income. I fortunately have other resources from my more productive years, and that is where my hobby budget comes from. But even so, I am startled at what things cost in general, and especially for the old car hobby. In fact, when I bought my first Model A in 1961 there was barely a Model A hobby, and early V-8's weren't even considered collectible! I could still go to my local garage and buy parts for my A that were NOS. That was then and this is now.

But as a good friend of mine who is into Cowboy Action Shooting (a very expensive hobby, by the way) once said, "Name me a hobby that isn't expensive. Golf? Stamps? Antiques? Hobbies by their nature cost a lot." And so it is. I got into this early enough that it isn't as painful as it might be, but I don't know how anybody who doesn't have significant disposable income can restore -in any real sense of that word- a car today. And Bratton's inventory must be in the millions of dollars.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
BCCHOPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

Don't even look at 16" white wall rad.

Brent...
Day job pays the bills and taxes
Night job pays for toys for me and my two boys
No savings...live for today tomorrow might not come
Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
antiquepa

From what I understand there only going to go up, something to do with the price of.............OIL!!
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #13
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquepa View Post
From what I understand there only going to go up, something to do with the price of.............OIL!!
Bingo.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #14
Roadster62

You guys should look into boating.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #15
BCCHOPIT

Coker classic
750r16 white wall. $309
Black wall * * * * * * * * * *$286

550R16. white wall *$250
Black wall. * * * * * * * * * * * $227
Old 02-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #16
aussie

just bought 4 650x16 white wall coker classic 420 dollars each, for a good quality 19 in tyre about 300 dollars and 45 dollars for a tube not a cheap hobby in Australia
aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:12 AM   #17
quickchange

universals 19 & 21" $99. for those that like skinnies, Its the freight to NZ that kills it,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
Richard Wilson

Confusedious says " If running old worn out and cracked Model A tires one needs to runs good tubes." Now where in heck can I find a good old fashion red rubber tube?
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #19
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

Im still. Just trying to save up for my paintjob for my tudor. Im scared to even think about the cost to paint /purchase the rims, tires, and tubes. So i can just take her for a spin when she is painted :/
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #20
1931 flamingo

Modelakid31: Reverse your priorities. Get the tires, rims, tubes first. You can always paint it later. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote