Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
Trelpdx

Default 35 Wiper Shaft Grommet Cover and Nut ?

Guys,

Just rebuilt my wiper motor and getting ready to put on the car for the first time. I purchased a new rubber grommet and I have what appears to be a gromment cover but I'm not sure it is correct. It is quite a bit bigger in diameter than the grommet. I don't know what the final assembly should look like. Can anyone send a close up picture? Also, the chrome nut that I have is a skinny nut. Is that correct, or should I get the regular size chrome nut?

Thanks much,

Peder
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (58.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (46.7 KB, 46 views)
Trelpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: 35 Wiper Shaft Grommet Cover and Nut ?

Peder: The thread on the wiper shaft is not a standard thread you will not get the nut at the hardward store. The nut is not the skinny type as a check nut is.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
35ragtop

Roy Nazawitcz stocks the correct nut Peder
35ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Trelpdx

Thanks Guys,

What about the grommet cover? Does Nazawitcz have that also. The one I have looks too large for the grommet.

Anyone have a close up picture?

Thanks,

Peder
Old 01-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
flatheadfan

Hi Peder-

The washer aspect is not a problem. The original "factory washer" is nothing more than a flat washer with a slight rim around it. The washer is actually smaller than the grommet. When you tighten things down the grommet becomes crushed. The crush is controlled by the small rim on the washer so the result is a uniform crush around the wiper shaft. If you only have a small washer without a rim, don't panic just put it on and tighten the nut down. It will seal. I doubt if you will ever look to see how concentric the crush is. However, I have a suggestion that will save you a pile of grief and aggravation.

The air flow over a car that has a wiper mount above the windshield is such that the wiper is lifted back and up (sometimes off) the wiper shaft especially at speeds above 35 mph. This means a couple of things. First, if it is raining you really need to slow down a lot to have the wiper work correctly. Yes, I know, I know, you should slow down when it rains but 25 mph? Second, the wiper will blow backwards and scratch the paint above the windshield or the wiper will fly off completely.

To get around this and have a degree of safety I made a "stop" that prevents the wiper from moving backwards. The wiper stays where it should and works reliability at speeds of 50 mph and does not mess with my paint.

If you look closely at the pictures (excuse the dirty car!) the "stop" is nothing more than a couple of pieces of flat iron with a rubber hose as a stopper. If I wish to "show" the car and retain a degree of originality I can remove it in micros seconds and reinstall just as fast.

I know it looks odd/primitive but you will thank me every time you drive over 35 mph and the wiper blade/arm is where it should be!

Hope this helps.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of 100_0931.JPG (71.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of 100_0932.JPG (81.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of 100_0933.JPG (87.3 KB, 23 views)
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
Trelpdx

Thanks again Tom.

Peder