Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
Ol' Ron

Default Ronning 8BA style distributor on 59A

Over the past few years, many guys would like to run 8BA engines in their early cars but the late water pumps prevent many clearance problems. Using the early pumps interfere with the distributor. I've described this method of solving the problem, but now a few pictures are worth a thousand words. The space is 1/8" thick. This conversion was done on Ken Schmits engine albost 20 years ago. For those using an *bA engine you'll have to plug a few holes and use either Skips or a pump with sealed bearings. Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Belt clearance.jpg (139.9 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg Belt clearance-1.jpg (122.9 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg spacer.jpg (120.4 KB, 332 views)
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Vergil

Default Re: Ronning 8BA style distributor on 59A

Great pictures and info Ron, good to see you posting pictures, appreciated.

Vergil
Old 12-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
Ol' Ron

I gorgot to mention that you must use a GM or MSD distributor. Which most should realize by now, the original leaves allot to be desired.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

thanks ron
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Walt Dupont--Me.

Hey Ron, does the Chevy dist have a long enough shaft to lift it up enough to clear the belt? Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Ol' Ron

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Cheeese Walt, where ya been? we've been doin this for years or Bubba wouldn't have a job.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
36tbird

I am working on a set up like this now. I have one of Bubba's Chevy dizzies on the 8BA in my '36 pickup now and I want to run the same set up on a 59A. I want them to be interchangeable so that they can be used as backup on either. I do that by having a collar on the distributor shaft that sets down on the timing gear cover. This picture was taken before I came up with the collar idea. That way, I can use the regular timing lock down on an 8BA or a collar lock when using 59A heads.

To get clearance under the distributor, I am using an idler pulley to route the belt. My alternator will be hard mounted in the full down position and there is going to be a tensioner pulley pushing in on the belt opposite from the one in the picture. This is an old picture where I was brainstorming the tensioner pulley. I've got it designed now, but not built. I'll try to post a picture later.

My only concern about this is that I am using a regular belt in a serpentine mode. Anybody think that this might prematurely wear out a belt?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dizzywork 002.jpg (73.6 KB, 238 views)
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
Binx

I like that setup!! My gut tells me you will get premature failure of the belt -- not sudden, but shorter lifespan due to the belt's outer surface compressing while running around the idler. I like the tensioner. How is it bolted on the block side?

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
Ralph Moore

36 Tbird,
What about the fan? Are you using a stock one?

Ol Ron,
I was wondering about using the early pumps, my problem seems to be the generator. I'm running the same setup as Tbird, but with a 49-53 12V generator, I have a right side(dist side) offset bracket(Offenhauser) , but it looks like I'll get belt to dist interference.
Do I need a drivers side offset bracket? I forgot to say, I'm running an Edelbrock triple, so the Gen mount will have to be different.

Thanks,

Ralph

Last edited by Ralph Moore; 12-13-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: forgot something
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Ol' Ron

It's nice to see different methods for solving a problem. Makes this hobby a real learning process.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
Gumpy

thankyou for sharing it Ron!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
36tbird

Binx, I may only get 30,000 miles out of a fan versus 50K.

Ralph, initially I am going to run an electric fan. However, I have been looking at it and I think that I may be able to go with a '48 fan set up with some mods to the back of the fan bracket. I don't see any reason why I could not run the fan on the alternator, stock '36 style, either.

My tensioner bracket will mount only off of the alternator slingshot bracket. I'll try to get a picture today of it versus trying to explain it all. This is my prototype and I have already figured out some enhancements I can make. I may go broke buying alternator brackets as I engineer this.

Last edited by 36tbird; 12-13-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #13
Ol' Ron

I did this to make room for a PS pump and an A/C bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg virt-dist-4.jpg (155.4 KB, 228 views)
Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
nostalgia59

I'd like to do this using a modified Chevy Mallory distributor. Think that would work??
nostalgia59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #15
36tbird

Holy Cow, Ron! How did you make that timing gear cover?

59, read up on some of Bubba's experiences with the Mallory's. Maybe those are flathead Mallory's he reported on, but I don't think he got very good numbers with them.

It is one crappy day here is S. Texas, so I went out to take pics because I doubt I will get much else done. Here is one of my prototype tensioner bracket. There will actually be two of these sandwiching a 1/4" bar so that it holds the pulley and pivots on the upper bolt. Obviously, the adjustment slit is not cut between the bottom holes. I made this up just to check my dimensions.

I am really proud of this bracket because of the design process I went through. First I made a cardboard template. I took those to my computer and designed the thing in AutoCad. I just completed a class in adult education to learn the basics. I was able to print a 1 to 1 rendition of the bracket which I taped to my metal piece and cut it all out. When you dimension the design it gives you the center points of circles so I could punch those holes and drill them directly.

I am hoping that I can find someone with a CNC plasma cutter and use my design to make me a few identical brackets that look pro.

In the pictures, you can see the shoulder I machined on the distributor shaft to sit on the installation hole so that it keeps the same dimension for either a 59A or 8BA. I used Bubba's dimensions for the Chevy shafts that he posted a couple of years back on the HAMB. I had to turn the shafts down to .875" and put on a 1.5" sleeve in order to get the shoulder. I plan on sending my housings to Bubba for him to do his magic. I hope he doesn't gag on my machine work. Given that I know enough to be dangerous on the lathe and that my lathe is an 1899 vintage Star, my tolerance acumen is questionable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dizzywork 003.jpg (62.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg dizzywork 005.jpg (85.8 KB, 151 views)
Old 12-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #16
Russ/40

36tbird, interesting firewall. What vehicle is that?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #17
36tbird

Russ, this is my never ending '36 fiberglass roadster project. I'm building it as a late '40's/early '50's hot rod with the theme that this was "older brother's car left to the younger brother when he went off to war flying B-24's". (Not sure what B-24's have to do with it.)

Car will have a DuVal windshield and a folding top. Flathead is mated to a top loader 4 speed with Jeep shifter and 8" rear. '39 steering box has a pristine '36 banjo. Grille will be stock but I have front fenders with '37 headlights. Folkstone grey with maroon scallops. Thanks for asking.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #18
Kahuna

All that stuff looks great Lou. If you have a chance, post a pic of the front of the roadster. These guys wil really like it
Regards
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #19
Junknshit
Banned

I don't know how Ol'Ron did it, and my thought on it will simplify it a lot, but it looks to me like he might have sawn off part of the original dist. mount, moved it around where he wanted it, did some Ol'Ron machine tricks (hole, fit, etc)or maybe a whole new mount tube, and had it welded back on.
But, that is just my thought on it.
However he did it, it is great work, and shows that he will not let something stop him when it comes to doing anything.
Junknshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #20
Chris Nelson

36tbird;
You might get longer life out of a riding mower belt. They are available from NAPA and other parts houses. They have the tension cords in the middle of the belt and are designed to be back bent. I have been using that type belt on both of my flatheads since the seem to last longer than th3e standard 5/8" engine belt. They also put a bit less tension on the alternator bearings, which are not designed for high overhung loads.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote