Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2024, 06:40 PM   #1
WarbirdPhotog

Default 1940 Ford Deluxe Trunk Cardboard Panels

Hey everyone! Does anyone have any photos of the thick cardboard (chipboard?) side panels that go in the trunk of a 1940 Ford Deluxe Fordor? I have photos of them installed, but looking for them outside the vehicle so I can see what the overall shape looks like. I have the original back panel that covers the rear of the back seats, but the two side panels are missing on my Ford.

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2024, 08:28 PM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: 1940 Ford Deluxe Trunk Cardboard Panels

Tudor sedan should be the same. My original 40 Tudor has the original panels in the trunk but don’t have any pictures of them outside the car.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 04:42 AM   #3
WarbirdPhotog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Tudor sedan should be the same. My original 40 Tudor has the original panels in the trunk but don’t have any pictures of them outside the car.
It's tough because I don't think many have shots of them pre-install or when they were pulled out. And since no one sells them repro, I might just have to 'guess' based on photos. But hopefully someone out there has a shot!
Old 01-10-2024, 07:53 AM   #4
custom_lettering

I guess your looking to making a pair. I've made them for all my cars by making cardboard patterns. I've used waterproof door panel board and recently ABS plastic.
custom_lettering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 06:33 PM   #5
WarbirdPhotog

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom_lettering View Post
I guess your looking to making a pair. I've made them for all my cars by making cardboard patterns. I've used waterproof door panel board and recently ABS plastic.
That's my hope to make them! Thanks for the info on the material. Just need a photo of one of them (I assume they are the same shape on either side) to get an idea of how they look.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:18 AM   #6
19Fordy

Warbird: Check this out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20458103482...c16a2bba25798a
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 11:03 AM   #7
mcgarrett

I have a '40 2 dr. sedan and made my own last year using 1/8" masonite from Home Depot but you might be better off with a heavy poster board material or ABS plastic sheet. I would recommend using large pieces of thin 2 ply cardboard since you will have to make some severe folds/bends to fit the profile of the inside of the trunk wall, trimming as you go. It took a few hours of patient trial fitting and cutting until I finally got the overall shape right. The right side was fairly straight-forward, but as you would expect, I had to do some extra trimming and fitting on the left side to clear the trunk lid support bracket. The 1/8" masonite doesn't have the flexibility to bend too freely, so I cut it undersize just enough to help it pop into place with a little persuasion. It was a tedious process but I'm happy with the results.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 03:47 AM   #8
WarbirdPhotog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Warbird: Check this out.
Thanks! Though it's an interesting shape. I'm not sure what that diagonal cut-out is for. I'll keep that in mind though! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
I have a '40 2 dr. sedan and made my own last year using 1/8" masonite from Home Depot but you might be better off with a heavy poster board material or ABS plastic sheet. I would recommend using large pieces of thin 2 ply cardboard since you will have to make some severe folds/bends to fit the profile of the inside of the trunk wall, trimming as you go. It took a few hours of patient trial fitting and cutting until I finally got the overall shape right. The right side was fairly straight-forward, but as you would expect, I had to do some extra trimming and fitting on the left side to clear the trunk lid support bracket. The 1/8" masonite doesn't have the flexibility to bend too freely, so I cut it undersize just enough to help it pop into place with a little persuasion. It was a tedious process but I'm happy with the results.
That's good to know. I was thinking of starting with a large sheet of cardboard (via hobby lobby) and start to shape it with that, then making another two and glueing them together so they are a little thicker.

You don't have any photos of them before you installed them do you?
Old 01-12-2024, 10:22 AM   #9
mcgarrett

Warbird,
Unfortunately I don't. I made and installed them last year.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote