Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2023, 07:42 PM   #1
coyledad46

Default problems instaling rear brake drum

I'm trying to install my right rear brake drum on my '30 coupe. The whole setup was just rebuilt by Snyder's. I had difficulty getting the drum on over the shoes, then remembered I'd had to pull on the service brake lever to line up the clevis and pin. I removed the clevis pin, the lever retracted, and the drum went on. When i tightened the axle nut (not torqued), the drum went on further, but now it won't turn. I thought turning the adjusting wedge counterclockwise might give me more room, but I couldn't get it to turn. It went a couple of clicks clockwise, but wouldn't turn the other way.

What am I doing wrong?
coyledad46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 07:51 PM   #2
Sunny the Model A

Default Re: problems instaling rear brake drum

Did you arch the shoes to the drums? the shoes need to be matched to the drum to fit, if it went on halfway over the shoes with little difficulty but started hanging up once you put the drum all the way on that's either the emergency brake band dragging on the drum or you have the drum rubbing on the backing plate. you can easily fix drums hitting the backing plate by installing a shim on the axle. the e-brake band can be fixed by just taking the band off and honing it down with a grinder or sander.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:09 PM   #3
bruceincam

So, you have a new drum on your old hub?? Or do you have both a new drum and a new hub?? If you have a new hub, the axle shim may be required to keep the drum from rubbing/binding on the backing plate. By the way, do you have a new backing plate??

Just what do you mean by "the whole set up was just rebuilt".
bruceincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 02:01 AM   #4
coyledad46

Snyder's rebuilt my backing plate, relined service brake shoes and emergency brake band. They installed my hub on a new brake drum and arched the shoes to the drum.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:20 AM   #5
Grumps

I think that the new drum is hitting your backing plate, and the shims will fix the problem. Worked for me when I had the same problem.
Grumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 08:35 AM   #6
nkaminar

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Try the shims. It may take two. https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...8129&cat=41823
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 10:03 AM   #7
katy

When installing the hub on the axle make sure both the hub and axle are completely clean and dry, no oil, the same goes for any shim(s) if installed.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:27 PM   #8
coyledad46

Thanks for your help.
I disconnected the rod to the emergency brake lever, and that allowed me to slide the drum on. It fits fine and turns easily. But I still can't get the adjusting wedge to turn. Suggestions?
Old 12-14-2023, 01:56 PM   #9
bruceincam

Did you install the wedge or did Snyders?? Did you try the wedge before you installed the shoes? Did you try to adjust the shoes before you installed the drum?? Do you know if the wedge is all the way out already??
bruceincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 02:11 PM   #10
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyledad46 View Post
Thanks for your help.
I disconnected the rod to the emergency brake lever, and that allowed me to slide the drum on. It fits fine and turns easily. But I still can't get the adjusting wedge to turn. Suggestions?
Sounds like the wedge is turned all the way "out" (counterclockwise) and jammed against the stop. If you can turn the drum easily then this is consistent. You could call Snyder's and ask them if that is how they normally ship their rebuilt backing plates (it seems logical to me that is the way they would leave the rebuilder). Or you could assume that is the case and now proceed to adjust the brakes properly by rotating the wedge inwards (clockwise). Take a picture showing how much thread is showing outside the backing plate?

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 12:05 PM   #11
coyledad46

You're right about the adjusting wedge being all the way out. I spoke to Snyder's and they agreed. I'll wait until everything is back together and then tighten things up if need be. Thanks for your help
Old 12-15-2023, 12:21 PM   #12
nkaminar

Sometimes helps to re-tap the backing plate for the adjusting wedge. Snyders may have done that.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 04:22 PM   #13
gdmn852

Hello, the brake adjuster is a cone shaped affair with notches machined into it , when you turn it , the brake shoe will be on the non machine area and snug up then will loosen up as it falls into the slotted area ,as you turn it inward, once you start working on it you see what I mean.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 06:54 PM   #14
Rob Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyledad46 View Post
Thanks for your help.
And you've tried turning it both directions and it won't turn either way? If so, remove the drum and hub and try again. If the wedge won't turn either way with the drum off, then there is likely something wrong with the threads. You are turning it clockwise as viewed from the rear of the backing plate and it won't turn? The shoes and linings can be removed from the backing plate and reinstalled by hand, as stated in the Les Andrews red book the Mechanic's handbook. You can see a demonstration of this in a Youtube video by searching with the title

Model A Ford How to Stop on a Dime

To do the rear brakes does require a specific sequence lest the cam falls out on ya. There is also a tool that makes this even easier. I got mine at Mike's affordable, as I remember. It looks like a pistol grip and attaches to the end of the shoe to give leverage.