Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2022, 06:46 AM   #1
30ccpickup

Default V8 Rouge Class Judging

I have been a member of the Early Ford V8 for a year and I am now finally worthy of the honor. I Just purchased a 1938 Ford Standard Coupe (82A-770A V8-60hp). It appears to my untrained eye to be an unmolested original. I always felt that anything I do to a car is just a footprint on its history. With this car… I would like to keep my footprint small. From the Early V8 club's website, I downloaded information for Judging in the Rouge Division. Looks to be a good objective to base a plan behind. In addition, for reverence, I purchased "The 1938-39 Ford Book for Passenger Cars" restoration guidelines:

I plan to start with a thorough cleaning of the undercarriage and then proceed to the brakes.

What I am looking for is advice from the members of the judging committee and/or participants of the "Rouge Class''.
  1. My first question is how do you handle the surface rust while preserving the patches of original paint under the fenders and inside the trunk?
  2. What do most people do wrong in this area?

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:45 AM   #2
TJ

Default Re: V8 Rouge Class Judging

Basically you leave it alone. It's original and that's what makes it unique. You get a Rouge award for three separate categories. Exterior, Interior, and Running Gear. I once owned a very nice '38 Club Coupe. It had a one time repaint of the original color, the interior was all original, and I had to rebuild the motor. The mistake I made was painting the motor after the rebuild. So I only received the award for the interior. If you have an older V-8 Club roster the Rouge Division is defined very well. There are some things that you can change for routine maintenance and safety. If you don't have an older roster available, send me a PM and I will send you a copy of the Rouge Rules.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:22 AM   #3
Kens 36

Tom, the original poster says he downloaded the Rouge rules from the website. This is the same information that was formerly in the roster.

Ken
Old 10-30-2022, 12:06 PM   #4
30ccpickup

Thanks TJ, when I joined FB way back when, one of the old timers talk how at the end of the year he would wash his car down with water and kerosene and the kerosene acted as a rust preventer. I have never done this. The paint on my Model A coupe is checked and flaking, at the end of the season I spray it down with Turtal Wax Ice. No buffing no wiping, it drys clear with a dull sheen. The rules state reasonable cleaning. Your opinion, no harm no foul?

I read one of your posts back in 2011 and it is one of the reasons I am asking questions.

Thanks
Paul

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 02:18 PM   #5
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ccpickup View Post
Thanks TJ, when I joined FB way back when, one of the old timers talk how at the end of the year he would wash his car down with water and kerosene and the kerosene acted as a rust preventer. I have never done this. The paint on my Model A coupe is checked and flaking, at the end of the season I spray it down with Turtal Wax Ice. No buffing no wiping, it drys clear with a dull sheen. The rules state reasonable cleaning. Your opinion, no harm no foul?

I read one of your posts back in 2011 and it is one of the reasons I am asking questions.

Thanks
Paul
I don't see a problem with reasonable cleaning. The secret is trying to preserve as much of the original finish as possible. I apologize as I missed part of your original post where you downloaded the rules from the website.
I applaud you for trying to keep your car as original as possible. Cars like yours set the standards for those that are doing a new restoration.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 09:18 AM   #6
nelsb01

The Rouge Class was once explained to me as I was cleaning and preparing my car at its first EFV-8C National Meet -- "condition doesn't count". An that is true. The car is to represent as much original as can be. My door panels are water stained, my body panels have scratches and their is a rust hole in the driver's side rocker, but it still qualifies for Rouge Interior and Exterior because of its originality.

I, like TJ had the original engine re-built (and it is still standard by the way) and then painted it. Although it is completely correct, because it was rebuilt and repainted it disqualifies the car from the Rouge Drivetrain award. And the car turned 60,000 miles on the way to Franklin TN this year.
But as they say, two out of three ain't bad.
I have 9 Rouge Award Medalions hanging on the wall and the Rouge Award winner license tab on the car.
Bottom line, it is a great catagory that the EFV-8C has for members to enjoy their original vehicles. And, when displayed on the show field, the Rouge Class usually draws a lot of attention.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:11 AM   #7
Newc

My '40 4dr won a Rouge mechanical/interior at Hood River Western Meet. Just leave as-is Cleaning is ok. Car had a repaint from an old collision/fender. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote