Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
fordfixer

Default 28 starter motor

I was wondering if anyone has pictures of a 28 starter motor. Showing the differences in the bendixes. Also wondering if anyone has had a later 5/8" shaft turned down to half inch., and does this way work? Thanks Jon
fordfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: 28 starter motor

Both the original ABELL drive and the CORRECT starter for them are very hard to find.
I have 2 NOS ABELL drives but am still looking for an original 1/2" starter that hasn't been modified to use the SERVICE DRIVE, as described in the "SERVICE BULLETINS".

The first style starter has 2 screws holding each field pole in place and also has ball bearings for the armature, and screws holding the brush holders in place. The second style 1/2" starter looks more like the later starter, but still used the rectangular starter switch like the first style.

I don't know why anyone would want to cut a 5/8" starter shaft to 1/2", but if you do, be sure to leave a radius at the cut, where it steps from 1/2" to 5/8".
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Here's the 2 different flywheels used with the 1/2" starter, and the third picture shows what happens when the 1/2" shaft is cut back for the new "SERVICE DRIVE", as mentioned in the "SERVICE BULLETINS", but the proper radius isn't left in the transition.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
mrtexas

I have an early AR RPU that I bought from a guy who apparently never drove it. It had the later style 5/8 drive starter with the multi-disc clutch flywheel. The starter never would disengage but the truck would run down the street with the starter still engaged and funny noises going on. I had to get the correct starter myself. My flywheel is like the top one.

One option is to cut down the flywheel so a 5/8inch starter setup works (I'm guessing as I haven't done it myself but don't see why it wouldn't work, experts chime in here.) I never had any trouble with my multi-disc clutch and transmission which shifted like a dream. I installed a 39 transmission with new gears in mine that someone gave me and a lightened flywheel with a V8 clutch.

Advertise in the Fordbarn want ads for an early starter. Lots of guys don't want to fool with an early setup. I got the 1/2inch shaft starter pronto for a very good price, no more than a 5/8 drive starter. The guy had the same price for the flywheel, starter and multi-disc clutch along with an extra bendix. I told him keep the flywheel for a boat anchor and send me the starter and clutch!

Last edited by mrtexas; 03-14-2011 at 07:35 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

This is the only picture I have showing the two starters. The 1/2" starters should have a tall slanting copper lug for the starter switch, while the later 5/8" starter just have a flat copper button. I'll have to take more pictures the next time I find my early starter.

The drive shown on the 1/2" starter should NOT have the hex head bolt on the front of the spring. It should be a headless slotted bolt, so it won't hit the flywheel.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Jim Mason

some pics of the bendix,special bendix, starters1,3, and4 and early switch...fwiw,jm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bendix.JPG (6.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg spec_bendix.JPG (21.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg starter1.jpg (8.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg starter3.JPG (8.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg starter3a.JPG (17.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg starter4.JPG (17.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg e_s_switch.jpg (6.9 KB, 49 views)
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
Ron in Quincy

I have chose to convert my Able Starter Drives to the DR Bendix Drive so it was not necessary to go thru the measurement and shim process associated with the Able Starter Drive; I was also fortunate enough to come up with a number of NOS complete DR Bendix Drives including the proper bendix spring and special headless rear mounting bolt.
I have never bent or broke a 1/2" shaft; this condition usually occurs when a person fails to retard the spark before stepping on the starter.
This has been my experience, having used the style 1 and style 2 1/2" starters for the last 20 years.
Maybe I've just been lucky !!!!!

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
Jim Mason

Ron,
Do you have a good photo of the 2nd style starter? I've been looking for the photo..thanks. jmason at chartermi dot net. jm
Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
fordfixer

Wow alot of pics. Has anybody cut down the flywheel so the 5/8" starter will clear? I need to get something done. Mine is rubbing the flywheel. Thanks Jon
fordfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
Ron in Quincy

Jim,

It appears your photo # 4 is the style 2 Starter ? It has the narrow brush cover band, 1/2" shaft, slant terminal for the square starter switch, and appears to have the brush holders rivited to end plate ? Does it have bushings or bearings ?

The J.S. are not too clear the way they are worded, they state there were 4 starters, and when you look at the Early 28 section it says the Able was used thru August 28 ?

Frankly, I wonder if there was a style between what we know is #1 and 3#. Of course I learn somthing new every day so don't profess to know everything !!!!

Ron
Old 03-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with Ron. The 2nd paragraph on page 2-1 in thr J/S doesn't make sense to me, as the 1/2" starter wasn't used after engine # 492511, which was early October 1928. I am only aware of 3 basic designs for starters.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
Ron in Quincy

Tom,

Like you, I have looked at starters, read the J.S., read the Service Bullitins for Dec. 28, looked at my Oct. 1, 28 Parts Price List and I still believe there were only 3 styles.

In the Oct.1,28 P.P.L. it even shows the later starter switch.

Maybe the new Standards coming out will clarify the confusment. I hope !!!!

I also hope fordfixer doesn't try to cut down a 5/8" shaft, would be better to find the correct starter.

Ron

Ron
Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
d.j. moordigian

Jim, Ron, Tom,

Seriously, I thought I was the only one that was confused! How about the
starter " band "? There either too narrow or too wide ! Is it me.

Thanks, Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Jim, Ron, Tom,

Seriously, I thought I was the only one that was confused! How about the
starter " band "? There either too narrow or too wide ! Is it me.

Thanks, Dudley
I've seen two sizes of holes on the starter bodies, and the bands should cover them, even though just barely on some. The band screw faced the steering gear, until Feb. 1929 when the new 2 tooth steering box was introduced. Then added clearance was needed, so the screw was moved to the engine side.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #15
Jim Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
Jim,

It appears your photo # 4 is the style 2 Starter ? It has the narrow brush cover band, 1/2" shaft, slant terminal for the square starter switch, and appears to have the brush holders rivited to end plate ? Does it have bushings or bearings ?

Ron
The 4th photo in the series was described to me as the 2nd style starter..unfortunately the photo isn't all that good so I can't say that for certain.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #16
Jim Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
Jim,

The J.S. are not too clear the way they are worded, they state there were 4 starters, and when you look at the Early 28 section it says the Able was used thru August 28 ?

Ron
I think what you are seeing in the JS on the abel starter is the allowance for inventory in float (the 3 month rule of thumb). ...fwiw,jm
Old 03-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
Ron in Quincy

JIM,

I believe you are correct, is must be float time; wonder why they didn't specify this so people wouldn't be confused.

Doing some research, in the past , on the round spindle, I was sent a letter that stated a 60 day rule on float time in the assemble plants ? Had never heard of a 60 day rule ?

By the way, the round spindle was one of those items that didn't have a part number change when it went from round to retangular shape as it only involved a design change. Makes you wonder if a A coming off the assemble line may have had a round spindle on one side and the later retangular on the other?

Ron
Old 03-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #18
Jim Mason

the float time wasn't a Ford idea. It was put in place by the JSC to allow for wiggle room on the dates for judging. (page 3 introduction, RG&JS 1997 revision)...fwiw,jm (I may have misunderstood on who hadn't heard of the 60 rule)
Old 03-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #19
Maclab58

I have a 28 AR with the above starter. unfortunately I think the bendix spring broke Sunday. I hope the spring is the same as all the later bendix.
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #20
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclab58 View Post
I have a 28 AR with the above starter. unfortunately I think the bendix spring broke Sunday. I hope the spring is the same as all the later bendix.
Nope, special spring, not reproduced.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote