Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen
Default Plug gap

Hi guys switch to a mallory electronic distributor in there instructions they said to play with the gap on the plugs, running a/c think there 44, its on a 255 with dual 97s 3/4 cam, set now at 35 anyone out there found a better gap, Runs ok now just don't know if i am leaving anything on the table, thanks AL
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Plug gap

High energy electronic types usually run a wider plug gap. The ignition unit manufacturer's instructions should be good for any brand of plug for your motor.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
wiretwister

It was easier back when we used a thin dime.

IF LIFE GIVE YOU A SNOW STORM -- MAKE SNOW ICE CREAM MMMMM GOOD
wiretwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
High energy electronic types usually run a wider plug gap. The ignition unit manufacturer's instructions should be good for any brand of plug for your motor.
Thanks rotorwench , I read the instructions and they said play with the gap ??????, Think i will try open them up as you said maybe to 40 and see whats up, Who knows might even have to install seat belts if it open up more thanks al
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
BUBBAS IGNITION

Plug gaps go with combustion chamber design and air fuel mixtures.
The wider gaps were part of a emission package and very lean air fuel mixtures.
The high energy ignitions were developed due to the "no tune up required" regulations with certified emission for 50,000 miles . ( today its 100,000 miles)
A old engine ( lets say flathead ) doesnt show any need for wider gaps as most ( especially modified cams and dual carbs), all you gain is higher coil output and overheated parts . Short life etc on ignition components......

There may be some changes in performance from time to time with plug gap changes , however if so its because you fixed a problem in another system etc...

Heres a scenario i like to use .

Scope hooked to stock good running flathead running at idle shows a actual need of 5,000 volts per plug at idle. Proper air fuel mixture of 13-1 per the day of manufacture. .030 plug gap .Plugs are taking approx 2,000 to jump the gap and ignite the hydrocarbons of fuel. The other 3,000 is used up with rotor gap and resistance in the sytem etc.

Now lets add two carbs making the air fuel mixture richer (lets say 12-1) Scope now shows 4,000 volts as richer air fuel mixtures take less . More fuel hydrocarbons are easier to ignite requiring less output from the ignition.

Now lets widen the gap to the plugs to .045. The engine will now use 6,000 volts to fire the longer duration spark based on the wider gap and the jump off the plug point on the scope will show it now requires 3,000 volts to jump the plug etc.

And the story goes on and on. A compression increase ( milled heads) will cause a increase in spark out put.
So lets say you mill the heads (increased output needed) and added twin carbs ( lower output needed) then we would be back at the orginal specifications..

Makes it all clearer right ??????

Last edited by BUBBAS IGNITION; 03-02-2011 at 04:50 PM.
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Ol' Ron

Jim I think 15:1 is a bit lean.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Jim I think 15:1 is a bit lean.

Thanks Ron i fixed that part for sure......yep 15-1 would be a bit on the lean side......
You doing ok now days.???
Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Ol' Ron

I'm getting there, I was out in my shop for a while yesterday, but didn't last long. I guess it'll take a while longer. Thanks Ol' Ron
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
345 DeSoto

Jim,
THANKS for the explanation of the spark gap requirements. It answered a question in my mind that's been bugging me for years. So, all things being equal, one should just go with the gap the book for the particular engine calls for. Never DID know why the huge gap in the HEI ignition systems...now I know...
Old 03-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
Jim,
THANKS for the explanation of the spark gap requirements. It answered a question in my mind that's been bugging me for years. So, all things being equal, one should just go with the gap the book for the particular engine calls for. Never DID know why the huge gap in the HEI ignition systems...now I know...
I just happened to be in the middle of this clean air act when it happened. Manufactures were required to meet emission requirements for 50,000 mile ( stage one) and the old contact systems couldnt do this without some needed maintance etc. Voltage levels were increased as well. A few years into the program they actually started dialing back the voltage as it was really hard on parts like cap rotor and wires.
Today is another standard. my 2004 GMC has 86,000 on the factory plugs. I looked at them during the last oil change and they are perfect.