Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
1955cj5

Default Pressure Plate Woe's

I have read the recent clutch and pressure plate posts....

since my clutch seems to be dragging even with the clutch fully depressed I decided to investigate...

My first question, is the 11/16 to 3/4" measurement taken as in the first picture? Some how I don't think so....

And then I found the issue in the second picture.....I have no idea how long it's been that way...I've looked in there before, but never rotated the plate a full 360° , this was the sixth and final finger....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080425.JPG (205.6 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg P1080427.JPG (205.1 KB, 220 views)
1955cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: Pressure Plate Woe's

No, that is incorrect. The measurement is taken from the rear flat side of the pressure plate to each of the six individual fingers that the throw out bearing pushes against.

It is possible to adjust each with the pressure plate installed in the car. However it is more difficult as you have to rotate the engine to bring each finger up to the window in the bell housing.

It is much easier to adjust it on a work bench or on the back of an engine out of the car. The pressure plate and the disk must be installed and the pressure plate bolts tightened down.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
john in illinois

You need a rebuilt clutch.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #4
Dennis Pereira

Looks like a winter project in the making .
Old 06-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #5
1955cj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Pereira View Post
Looks like a winter project in the making .
I think it's already been made...just needs to come out of the oven!

Too hot to go outside anyway....maybe it's a late summer project....
Old 06-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
1955cj5

"It is possible to adjust each with the pressure plate installed in the car. However it is more difficult as you have to rotate the engine to bring each finger up to the window in the bell housing. "

I think this opening in the AA bellhousing is smaller than the A....at least the cover plate is smaller, I don't think I can get in there to measure the fingers...

I would think there is a corresponding measurement at the location I took a picture of, though it may not be too accurate...

I think because the pressure plate is so out of adjustment, over the years the clutch adjusting rod had been tightened to the point that the geometry is all wrong and you really don't get much rotational movement of the clutch shaft when depressing the pedal..

The paper clip has been replaced by the way...but i saved it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080055.JPG (204.6 KB, 94 views)
Old 06-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
CarlG

I put one of these in there. It just makes it so that you don't have to take the clevis pin out each time you adjust it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch Linkage Adjustable.jpg (10.7 KB, 19 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #8
1955cj5

So just for comparison here is the AA bell housing cover sitting on an A bell housing....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080428.JPG (131.4 KB, 65 views)
Old 06-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #9
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955cj5 View Post
I have read the recent clutch and pressure plate posts....

since my clutch seems to be dragging even with the clutch fully depressed I decided to investigate...

My first question, is the 11/16 to 3/4" measurement taken as in the first picture? Some how I don't think so....

And then I found the issue in the second picture.....I have no idea how long it's been that way...I've looked in there before, but never rotated the plate a full 360° , this was the sixth and final finger....

The photo on the right shows the throw out bearing right up against the six fingers of the pressure plate. Either the clutch pedal is pushed in or the adjustment linkage between the pedal and the clutch lever is way out of adjustment. The first effort should be to adjust this linkage so that there is a nominal one inch of play in the clutch pedal. This should bring the throw out bearing back away from the six fingers so that you can see them and take a measurement of each.

Before going to the trouble of replacing the clutch assembly I would try to adjust it properly.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

Just replace the MISSING nut & adjust all the levers. Did NO ONE here notice the MISSING NUT? The Dog jist said, "YOU'RE the MISSING NUT"! Anybody want a Dog?
Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 06-26-2015 at 06:06 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #11
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
...Anybody want a Dog?
Bill W.
Is it time for Ghost to re-appear?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #12
1955cj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Just replace the MISSING nut & adjust all the levers. Did NO ONE here notice the MISSING NUT? The Dog jist said, "YOU'RE the MISSING NUT"! Anybody want a Dog?
Bill W.
Missing nut?

I thought all the others were just extras so I took them off too!
Old 06-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #13
1955cj5

This is what really happened....

When you start on a project you hope that maybe one thing is correct so you can build off of it..sort of a benchmark...

Everything here was messed up....

The big problem here was the carrier return spring, which was too long...and so I think someone somewhere tried to compensate by adjusting the fingers way in so the TO bearing wouldn't turn all the time...the adjustment nuts were all easily turned, when normally they would be peened into the screw..

When I tried to move the throw-out bearing away from the pressure plate, it would only move a little....lots of looking and fiddling revealed that the bearing carrier return spring was so long that when retracted it took up all the available space and then some, so it was in the way preventing the carrier from retracting...for some reason I had bought a new return spring. Over all it was about 3/4" shorter than the one that was in there. so more fiddling and the spring was replaced, and the throw out bearing and carrier had about 1 1/2" clearance from the pressure plate fingers, way too much...so I adjusted all six fingers to leave about 1/4" clearance to the bearing so it would not be turning all the time as it was before. Adjusted the clutch linkage and now there is more throw along with more movement of the throw-out bearing and more complete release of the clutch..

I tied a string to the old spring before attempting removal, and then tied it to the cover screw......and I reversed the process when installing the new spring..

A test drive will reveal the results.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080433.JPG (123.5 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by 1955cj5; 06-26-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #14
Dennis Pereira

The top greasy spring looks right to me . At least it looks just like the spring I have and seems to work fine .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5312121.jpg (60.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 06-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #15
1955cj5

This is an AA transmission and bell housing. The part they removed to shorten the bell housing is the rear part where the transmission attaches, so much less room in there for a spring or even a bearing carrier...the front of the transmission is much closer to the pressure plate..

The replacement spring I bought was for an AA.

The old spring could easily have been a correct A part...
Old 06-26-2015, 10:13 PM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955cj5 View Post
This is what really happened....

When you start on a project you hope that maybe one thing is correct so you can build off of it..sort of a benchmark...

Everything here was messed up....

The big problem here was the carrier return spring, which was too long...and so I think someone somewhere tried to compensate by adjusting the fingers way in so the TO bearing wouldn't turn all the time...the adjustment nuts were all easily turned, when normally they would be peened into the screw..

When I tried to move the throw-out bearing away from the pressure plate, it would only move a little....lots of looking and fiddling revealed that the bearing carrier return spring was so long that when retracted it took up all the available space and then some, so it was in the way preventing the carrier from retracting...for some reason I had bought a new return spring. Over all it was about 3/4" shorter than the one that was in there. so more fiddling and the spring was replaced, and the throw out bearing and carrier had about 1 1/2" clearance from the pressure plate fingers, way too much...so I adjusted all six fingers to leave about 1/4" clearance to the bearing so it would not be turning all the time as it was before. Adjusted the clutch linkage and now there is more throw along with more movement of the throw-out bearing and more complete release of the clutch..

I tied a string to the old spring before attempting removal, and then tied it to the cover screw......and I reversed the process when installing the new spring..

A test drive will reveal the results.....
WHOA! CJ,
Betcha' got a BACKACHE from ALL that!!! Hope it works OK Too bad you don't live next door, I'd loan you an ANTI-PAIN-PILL
Pill W.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Is it time for Ghost to re-appear?
Carl,
In case you FORGOT, the DAMN GHOST farted off a bunch uf our "HUSH" MONEY, whin he wuzn't lookin' I sprayed him with GREY PRIMER, Buster T. thought he wuz a GIANT RAT & you wouldn't want to hear about where it went frum there Anyhows, The GHOST is HISTORY He took us for $17.37 & I NEVER have found my EXPENSIVE, SNAP-ON Ignition Pliers or my BROOKS BROS, PRESCRIPTION SUN GLASSES or Buster T's, life size stuffed SKUNK!!! I hate a thief, with a PASSION!
Bill W.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #18
1955cj5

Yeah I was sweating like a you-know-what...but when I have a project I'm like a dog with a bone, you just can't get me away from it!!

But, the good news is it's shifting like BUTTER...or maybe margarine...but it is 100% better than before..

NO grinding at all going into second (which is what I use for 1st in the 4-speed) from a stand still....I am really happy with the result!

But, because of that little carrier return spring, the AA's had a clutch pedal return helper spring..

http://www.brattons.com/product.asp?...=any&PT_ID=all

So until i get one of those I have a coil spring in there to help return the pedal to full "up"
Old 06-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #19
Richard Lorenz

My situation is different. I replaced a slipping clutch on the car with a good used pressure plate and a new disc. I pre-set the arms to 3/4 inches using the disc and pressure plate on a spare flywheel that I thought to be exactly like the one in the car. After installing the disc and pressure plate in the car, the clutch slipped.

My grandson and I re-adjusted the arms by turning the nuts out one full turn. This corrected the slipping. The re-adjustment was easy to do because I was using Nyloc nuts. There must be something different about the two flywheels.
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #20
Ron W

The throw out bearing carrier on the AA is shorter than A. That's why we use it on the F150 conversion. Ron W
Ron W is offline   Reply With Quote