Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #1
1930artdeco

Default *deleted*

Hi All,

I have deleted my post because I was in error after selling a bearing. I handled the situation poorly and am deleting this post at the request of the buyer. I was wrong and this is the proper way to mend things.

Thank you,

Mike

Last edited by 1930artdeco; 02-09-2015 at 10:03 PM. Reason: change of info
1930artdeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: bum buyer

In the good old days we shipped parts and so did some dealers without getting the money first. Unfortunately after getting burned more than once, we developed the money first system! Unfortunate, but a fact of life that not everyone can be trusted !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i would have shipped the part out also before payment just like you did..
dont fret it
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #4
1930artdeco

I am upset at myself more than him. Like Wayne said I prefer to trust people will follow through with what they said they did. Apparently, some people don't. I just wanted to bring him to light so that nobody else gets burned that is all.

Mike
Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
700rpm

It's a roll of the dice, but for small amounts I go with trust. I've only had one difficult experience here, where the seller pictured one item, and I bought it, but what was shipped was a wholly different item. The seller denied it, I got angry, he got defensive. But to his credit he refunded the price and the shipping. I never got an explanation for the mixup (I suspect he just didn't know the difference), but in the end he did the right thing. Mostly I want to believe guys here are straight arrows, and I'll continue to operate under that assumption.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #6
Joe K

1930modela shows his most recent activity today.

His last post was on 3-30-2014 when he bumped an advertisement of something he was selling.

His last REAL post seems to be a reply to a water pump question on 2-6-2014.

I think you have some chance to get your money - but don't be hanging by your thumbs.

"In God we trust - all others pay cash" is always good policy. But you're to be commended (not chided) for rushing this to completion and considering your fellows more favorably than they might deserve.

I wish you well in all your endeavors and that your fellows always exceed your estimation of them.

Joe K
Old 02-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #7
Jim in Wisconsin

If the buyer sends his money first, he's trusting the seller. If the seller sends the merchandise first, he's trusting the buyer. For commerce to work, someone has to trust someone!
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #8
ronn

we've all been there, taken the chance and got a burn or two..........

fact of life. thks for the heads up!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
2935ford

Yup, these days......if you don't live next door (driving distance) to what you are buying......it can be trying times!
Just going through the same on set of tires...........seems Canada Post takes 9 days to go 1000 miles to deliver my MO. Got the seller a little concerned.
I'm looking into Pony Express from now on!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #10
SteveB31

99% of ALL Model A guys are honest guys. Plain and simple. I am sure it is in the mail.....
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:07 AM   #11
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Wisconsin View Post
If the buyer sends his money first, he's trusting the seller. If the seller sends the merchandise first, he's trusting the buyer. For commerce to work, someone has to trust someone!
Hey Jim,
X- 2 !
But, I'm thinking that there is a 'safer way' than money order, such as check with signature required to show receipt !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:51 AM   #12
burner31

Agree with SteveB31...at least on the 99% part
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #13
Bruce Adams

I guess that is why I am comfortable by using either PayPal or my charge card to make an Intenet purchase.
I might also add that I have noticed FedEx seems more and more to demand a signature upon receipt.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #14
FL&WVMIKE

There is nothing wrong in getting your money, before sending your parts. It just makes sense.
MIKE (mikeburch)

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 02-06-2015 at 03:55 PM.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #15
CT AV8

PayPal is the best way whether purchasing or selling. A serious and trustworthy buyer will do the money transfer quickly and everyone has a record of the transaction. Saves lots of time and potential problems.
CT AV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #16
dpson

I had a very similar situation happen back at the end of December. I was going in for surgery and went ahead and shipped some NOS Studebaker parts to a guy in California after he told me a Postal MO was in the mail. After three weeks no MO. I contacted the guy and he said he sent it and would work with the Post Office to get a new money order issued. Lo and behold a week later the original MO shows, four weeks after it was mailed. The address, zip code, etc. were correct. No idea why it took so long for a first class letter to get here (VT) from CA. I always insist on a Postal MO, it protects both the buyer and seller, and allows me to ship the same day it arrives (no need to wait for it to clear) and make only one trip to the PO to cash and ship.
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #17
J Franklin

Postal money orders can be counterfeit or stolen so always beware and be sure of the issuer.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #18
Bill Underwood

Don't like the cost but Paypal can be one's friend.
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #19
1930artdeco

How does one accept paypal money? How much does it cost?

Mike
Old 02-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #20
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
How does one accept paypal money? How much does it cost?

Mike
Paypal works by "aligning" a current credit card (or credit card AND a checking account as back-up) to the paypal system.

When you go onto (say) Ebay and buy something, if you want to use Paypal then you select Paypal as your payment option and the site automatically transfers you to the Paypal site. Then you log into Paypal (assuming you're not "linked" which I don't care to do to protect against hacking.)

You then pay for your article using Paypal - but the money comes directly from your credit card or bank account.

People can send you Paypal money similarly. They send using your Email of record at Paypal as the "destination." But instead of going to your Email, it's simply transferred in Paypal from their account to yours. On receipt you then run a positive Paypal balance. You can, by selecting the bank account, transfer money "back" into your bank account from your Paypal account.

There sometimes are charges for receipt of money to your Paypal account. It was (or used to be) possible to avoid those charges by the tranferer naming the money as "gift" and thereby avoid charge for the receiver. I haven't had occasion to do this since last year and Paypal is continually "refining" their policies and charges.

I have found Paypal to be a particularly handy item when buying on Ebay. Almost TOO easy actually. But record keeping is good, VERY good. And there are Paypal avenues of making claim against non-delivery of items (I had to push on a vendor once through Paypal for a seller non-delivery - seller finally capitulated when Paypal pointed out the advantage he would lose in selling without Paypal.) And for many (not all) items sold on Ebay Paypal guarantees satisfaction "or money back."

Here is Paypal's own words on "cash out."

Quote:
Log in to your PayPal account, enter the amount you want to withdraw, and select the bank account to receive the money. We securely transfer the amount from your PayPal balance into your bank account at no cost to you. It usually takes 3-4 business days for the money to appear in your bank account
I can't say I've ever had a bad experience with Paypal. I wish my personal bank was as well run.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 02-05-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote