Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
King ford

Default V8 60 transmission

Greetings barners (especially 60 guru's) ....did the v8 60 use a different transmission than other ford products?...I have a 60 - transmission combination I rescued from a scrap yard about35 years ago and it's open drive....I thought they only put round bell houseing open drive 3 speeds in 42 - 48 pickup's and 60's were only made 37through 39 ....plus it was on a tin side ,they're 37's right?...one more mystery from me ,the serial # starts with 18 and that appears to be a car vin number. Any info would be appreciated greatly!
King ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: V8 60 transmission

Sounds like you have a "Frankenstein" transmission made of many different parts! The internals are all different in a 60, I am not sure about the case, but I suspect yours came from the big brother 85 since it starts with an 18.
The part numbers for the 60 trans parts start with 52- and are physically smaller. I suspect the VIN would start with 52 also.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

the 1940 model 60hp used the larger trans
the bellhousing pattern is about the same, the 60 has a divot for the starter drive

There is also another trans for the 4cyl in 41 ---for the 8n/9n tractor engine

where is the oil fill tube on the engine---in the intake manifold, or in the bellhousing area, does it have a long front pulley for a crankshaft fan
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:42 AM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by King ford View Post
Greetings barners (especially 60 guru's) ....did the v8 60 use a different transmission than other ford products?...I have a 60 - transmission combination I rescued from a scrap yard about35 years ago and it's open drive....I thought they only put round bell houseing open drive 3 speeds in 42 - 48 pickup's and 60's were only made 37through 39 ....plus it was on a tin side ,they're 37's right?...one more mystery from me ,the serial # starts with 18 and that appears to be a car vin number. Any info would be appreciated greatly!
There were 4 years of V8-60 engines, i.e.-'37 thru '40. The 'tinside' would be the first year. Most had a 'peanut' sized trans. There was one larger case ('40 ?) that would mate up to larger V8 flathead bell.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #5
mananaba

There was also a heavy duty V8 60 transmission available as an option. It was used mainly by trucks and taxis. It had similar gearing as the 85 hp transmissions.
mananaba is offline   Reply With Quote