Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
AlanD

Default Buying parts car, Bill of Sale or Buy-Sell Agreement, or?

Just checking the consensus here, If you were buying a parts car (not complete and not running) would you just exchange with cash, a Bill of Sale, a Buy-Sell Agreement, or something else I haven't thought of.

Thanks for everyone's input.
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Clem Clement

Default Re: Buying parts car, Bill of Sale or Buy-Sell Agreement, or?

try and get the title for the car if you can. Check your state's rules on bills of sale.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
try and get the title for the car if you can. Check your state's rules on bills of sale.
Ditto. Cow Hampshire only requires a Bill of Sale to attach a title to a vehicle over 10 (?) years old.

Buy an engine OR a frame. GET THE NUMBERS along with the Bill of Sale. Either might come in handing to getting a title for a vehicle.

"Sold to Joe K, a Model A Ford with engine (can be only engine) Number A20000000A (kidding here) for a sum of $1.

THAT could make your life or the life of someone who buys it a LOT easier and cheaper - and put money in your pocket instead of the state.

Joe K (who wonders what happened to the 1930AA truck frame he sold to a Texas Buyer - primarily on the basis of the title that was attached.)
Old 07-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
ronn

cash would be fine- a bill of sale can help, but a bill of sale can ALWAYS be written up in the future. not a big deal either way, as long as nothing is stolen.

I just bought a running chassis in new hamp-have my money orders to prove it and fine by me......... I may have it shipped and couldnt care less about the paper work.
but that's just me.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
denis4x4

It's getting more difficult in several states to registering a car made up of parts without documentation. More and more DMV offices have knowledgable people who KNOW where a Model A frame number is supposed to be. Having done several A's with bonded titles, I know that "creating" bill of sale docs in the future can come back and bite you on the ass. Most DMV offices in title states laugh at a letter from Broadway Title in Alabama.

Since neither national A club is interested in joining SEMA, perhaps they can set up a joint group to make it easier to document complete A's and those built with parts that also need to be documented. Wait a minute, SEMA already works with state DMV offices to make it easier to register a hot rod!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

If you are going to use it for parts nothing is needed. If you are going to restore it as much info as you can get will help when you go to register it.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
Gumpy

I would phone your local dept of MV & either give them the vin number or license plate number for your state, you may change your mind and run across some cheap parts to make the car complete later on......
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

Get a notarized bill of sale. Go the State Police and have them verify the numbers and run a stolen vehicle check. They will give you a copy of the verification form. Take the bill of sale, the form and a notarized statement stating you belong to a national antique car club and get a title from motor vehicle. Philip
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote