Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
37coop

Default 39 coupe new headlining fixing round the windows .

hi guys ...my 39 coupe , I bought a complete lb.bonney interior kit many years ago for the 39 ,its now ready to be fitted but I,v always had a mental block about fitting the headlining myself (the rest of it no problem) so I,v got a local trimmer who works with mostly coachbuilt English cars ..lagonda ..rolls bently etc and is not familiar with our fords , he seems to think the rear window and side windows need to be out of the car to attach the lining around the windows ,I,v got them in with weatherproofing sealer etc and really reluctant to remove them , I,v read the lbb instructions and they don't mention windows out only the mouldings removed ,if the windows are in how is the cloth attached? is it glue only? the rear window hasn't got a ridge like the sides it is flat and looks a bit difficult to attach cloth to , many thanks , cheers jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 39 coupe new headlining fixing round the windows .

The rear windows as well as the rear - side windows do need to be removed to install the liner.
The cloth folds (and glued) in to the opening where the windows were.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
TJ

If you are careful with the glue you can install the headliner without removing the windows.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:26 AM   #4
37coop

thanks guys ,I don't really know which route to take ,to remove the windows will be a messy difficult job as its well sealed with goo,and the rubbers will be wrecked which means shipping again from u.s ,anyway my trimmer said he will pop over to have another look to try to find find an alternative way ,thanks again , cheers jim.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
19Fordy

Kube and TJ are correct. I installed my 40 Ford coupe LB interior headliner with the glass in the car. Be sure and make nice 45 degree angle folds on the trim as shown in the LB instructions. Also be sure and allow enough headliner material for the visor brackets to screw into place. Click on photo to enlarge. BE SURE TO READ ALL OF THIS.
http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread...ll+lb+interior
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9539b.jpg (59.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9540b.jpg (49.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9542b.jpg (62.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9547b3.jpg (90.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2622b.jpg (51.7 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 07-30-2013 at 08:51 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
37coop

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
wow fordy what a reply ...I,v read all and seen all the diagrams and photos from your post , I will photocopy and laminate all the relevant pictures for when I start the job and show them to my trimmer when he starts the headlining,the l.l.b diagrams look different to my 39coupe copies although I bought the kit 16 years ago (some small moth nibblings during storage ) I must say it doesn't look an easy job although as the work progresses it might fall into place and I,v taken note of not cutting cloth till its fitted , many many thanks to all....the barn really is my favourite magazine ,cheers jim.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
19Fordy

I am not a professional installer and this is the only one I have ever done back in 1988. If I can do it, I am sure your guy can also. If you can install it in an air conditioned shop it will be much easier. The key is to stay calm, read the directions over and over until you really understand and can get a "feel" of the process. Remember to install the dome light wire FIRST and don't cut any material until after you have finished the install. I ended up doing the entire interior including the seats. My wife sewed up new burlap pockets for the springs. The entire kit cost $550 from LB when I bought it in the early 70's. Make sure you keep your hands CLEAN. All the best. I am sure you will be successful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02571 (Small)best.jpg (45.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 07-30-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Make sure your wipers are operating correctly BEFORE installing your headlining.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
37coop

thanks swoop ,I have thought of that but as the engine is not running at the moment I put a thread on the barn a while ago and with advice and was told a vacuum(hoover) with the end covered in duck tape and a small hole with the rubber hose pushed in and turn the hoover on , havnt tried it yet ,just busy,failing that I,ll get the trimmer to fix the front over the wiper motor so I can lift up that portion , not ideal I know , thanks again. cheers jim.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37coop View Post
thanks swoop ,I have thought of that but as the engine is not running at the moment I put a thread on the barn a while ago and with advice and was told a vacuum(hoover) with the end covered in duck tape and a small hole with the rubber hose pushed in and turn the hoover on , havnt tried it yet ,just busy,failing that I,ll get the trimmer to fix the front over the wiper motor so I can lift up that portion , not ideal I know , thanks again. cheers jim.
Please post a photo of your finished installation, PLUS the wiper "lift up" portion.It would be nice if that "wiper lift up" could be positioned so it's hidden by the visors.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
klicker

Kind of related... my coupe had a L-B interior installed just before I bought it 3 years ago. I have been thinking about replacing some of the delaminating glass.... but worry about how hard it would be with the new headliner... if it was possible without making a mess of things. My glass isn't terrible, kind of gives it that "patina".... so can't decide whether to take it on or not.
klicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
19Fordy

My view is: Unless it's really bad and you really can't stand how it now looks, leave it alone.
In this day and age, patina is an attribute.