Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #21
Mike51Merc

Default Re: Flathead build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Moore View Post
I'm the only party pooper here, I work on Flatheads because they don't have/need all the computerized, sensors, gadgets and millions of miles of wire.
But what do I know, I still have an 8 track in my truck.
Ralph, you're not alone. I think this engine is very interesting and a job well done, however I favor the "traditional" aspects of the flathead and how they were hot rodded years ago. Trying to "modernize" the flathead with technology just highlights the core problem of bad flow dynamics that can't be cured. For those that say Ardun did it, well that wasn't a flathead anymore, was it?

This engine is a great example to guys who think they can bolt on some stuff and double the original horsepower. All this work nets 204 hp.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #22
Ralph Moore

I'm not saying he didn't do a great job on it, but I just prefer them the old way. To each his own.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #23
flathead4rd

Wow. You guys are a tough crowd. I realize what he has done is not everyones cup of tea but without people like that we would still be in the dark ages. JMHO.
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #24
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4rd View Post
Wow. You guys are a tough crowd. I realize what he has done is not everyones cup of tea but without people like that we would still be in the dark ages. JMHO.
Tough crowd? I thought the "negs" (barely negs) were pretty mild and polite.

I wasn't trying to be tough or down on it in any way. It's real cool in its own way but it's certainly not old school. I tend to feel the same way about air bags and fancy stereos.

Science and engineering have brought us virtual automotive miracles today (the Cadillac CTSV comes to mind) and I fully appreciate the tech side of the industry/hobby. I'm also aware that flatties have limitations that technology can't overcome and I like them that way.

Oh, and just to be clear, I wasn't talking about this engine with my "bolt-on" comment. I'm talking about guys who think they can easily hotrod a flattie to high horses. This engine proves it ain't easy and that's my point.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #25
rotorwrench

It just goes to show that the efforts to make a flathead boogie have not stopped. The tradition goes on.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #26
Vergil

I appreciate the tranitional builds but I also like what can be done to the flatheads with modern improvements. I didn't see where it was asked if we liked it or not or our opinions on it. At car shows if we see something that doesn't look good to us do we hunt the owner up to tell him so or do we go on to the next car and hold our tongue? The same applies to build posts, why go out of your way to say it isn't your cup of tea. I think if nothing constructive or positive can be said then go to the next thread and let those who appreciate the post enjoy it. Okay I said more than I was going to but this is how I feel. And yes I like it.

Vergil
Old 11-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #27
Junknshit
Banned

WOW,I just don't believe this. while that is not my style of flatthead I'll bet that I'm not the only one on here that would like to know a lot more about it. This engine did not just fall together first time out. I'd not only like to know what worked in the end, but also what didn't work. You can bet there was a lot of trial and error involved in this build, both in physical hands on as well as in computer engineering to get to this stage. And he's not giving up, he's going to continue to try to improve on what he has. It doesn't just boil down to what he did in the way of modifications, but also what he had to change (that was already done) to make the last modification work.
It's kinda like opinions, every one has one and is entitled to have any one they want. This is his engine and he is entitled to have it any way he wants it. Lets not nit-pic and bicker til we upset him and he won't tell anyone anything.
Just because it's not my cup of tea, Doesn't mean that I can't learn something about tea.

Hope I didn't upset anyone, but if I did, I did.
Junknshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #28
Ronnie

I like it lets get some more info on this build.Ignore the negs it's a wonder they even have allowed computers in their house "LOL". Think outside the box and have some more info on this unique build.There just has to be some good tricks done to this old piece of 40's technology.

My2¢
R

Last edited by Ronnie; 11-30-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #29
Binx

Dang! This is the second time I've edited this because I'm kinda on the fence. My heart is in Ralph's camp. It is about nostalgia and the "way" it was done back in the day. At the same time I drive a 4-banger that makes the same HP as a Flathead and I have a friend with the same 4-banger who turned it into a 325hp turbo/supercharged monster. I don't get it. I guess it was the challenge, but I have to admit, when he lights that thing up, you can't look away.

Lonnie

Last edited by Binx; 11-29-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #30
kerker

Wow, thank you for your comments. I knew there would be some negs, but that's OK. For the fella that thinks it only got 204HP, it's the 305 ft lbs that drives it down the road. I did not build a race engine, this is a touring motor. At 65MPH, the motor is so happy that you can only hear the wind.
( it's a roadster)....2750 is peak torque and that's 65 MPH. The block is a French (sorry) version. 3/8" x 1/2" 304 cu in. The cam is a Max 1 with 108 lobe centers. Even with the 108 centers, it idles very smooth. I have had people ask if it was a stock cam. Perhaps the engine likes the individual throttle bodies. I use 97 Idle jets to bypass the throttle plates and the "sync up" is easy. I reduced the runners to 1 3/8". Plates were used for bore finishing. The fuel and spark are controlled by the ECU. This is my 3rd version and 2nd to last. I am busy on my Hollywood project but have secured a block and have started the maching process. My background was Kendick engineering with go-karts and KERKER exhaust in the 70's and 80's. So I have been playing for quite a while. I have a poster in my shop that says, "OK is not good enough". For the fun of it, my 4 engine kart and the Hollywood project. I know it's not Ford , but what the heck.
Dick in Havasu
ps; Virgil, I would like to visit with you sometime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 engine kart r & c.jpg (40.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00368.jpg (64.7 KB, 85 views)
kerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #31
Vergil

Dick it would be great to visit with you, one of these days will make a run over there to see what good engineering looks like. I'm looking for another block to build but getting harder to find them. These flatheads get into your head and stay there.

Vergil
Old 11-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #32
Ol' Ron

Been following this thread for awhile an I thought I;d congratulate you on a fine build. I know how hard it is to get 175 hp from one of these cast iron chunks. Not smart enough to putz with the EFI, but an making a digital ignition advance similar to mega squirts, but a stand alone one. I do like to putz with combustion chamber design, will be posting one I'm working on now to improve economy.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #33
kerker

Virgil
I looked at some small injectors at SEMA . I like the injectors under the valve like you did. When I get ready, I need to tap your experience.
The flatty has been thru your area several times going to Bakersfield.
Dick in Havasu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00428.jpg (64.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg flat s speed (2).jpg (62.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 11-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #34
kerker

Ron
Thank you. This engine would not be as happy with a mechanical advance distributor.
Dick in Havasu
Old 11-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #35
BobM

Who are you, really? That is simply awesome! How did you acquire WILSON/WOODS heads; a few years ago I read all their inventory and equipment was for sale? Are these heads currently being manufactured?
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #36
Fartman

thats one kick arse motor
Fartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #37
kerker

I talked to him about a year ago and they were still selling them. I restyled the heads a bit with a "V8" logo. Also added a support for the fan.
Dick in Havasu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 641.jpg (67.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 640.jpg (60.5 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by kerker; 11-30-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #38
Vergil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerker View Post
Virgil
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerker View Post
I looked at some small injectors at SEMA . I like the injectors under the valve like you did. When I get ready, I need to tap your experience.
The flatty has been thru your area several times going to Bakersfield.
Dick in Havasu

Dick did you get any information on the small injectors? I have looked and looked but can't find any. The side load injectors I am using are from a Nissan Maxima but also used in then 2001 Ram 318 engine. Not much room in the valve chest when finished. Love your roadster and was also wandering about the heads. Its refreshing to see a high output flathead that the builder shares the information as you have, thanks. Very impressive dyno chart, (drooling) a little looking at it.

Vergil
Old 11-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #39
V8COOPMAN

kerker...I knew your name sounded familiar. It always amazes me when SOME folks feel the need to "poo-poo" another guy's idea, car, widget or whatever. Makes ya wonder what the REAL reason MAY be...ego, lack of self-esteem, SD syndrom or a myriad of other un-appreciative reasons? Maybe look at it this way...what IF Navarro or Edmunds or Isky or thousands of others (all with radical, new ideas for the time) had never played-around with "new" technology as applied to the stock, Henry flathead? Experimentation has been the root of what LOTS of folks have done with flattys since 1932. Come-on, guys! At least appreciate the entertainment factor for what it's worth. At the very least, kerker ain't some "bozo" (Brain On Zero Output) tryin' to tell us all about his blown/injected, overdriven double-race-cammed, nine-speed air-shifted wheelie-bar-equipped Honda. This is "candy" at the center of the FLATHEAD world. As for you kerker, you obviously do more with your time than bicker about other folks stuff. What you've done here is not something I'll ever come close to accomplishing, but you've shown that when a few folks take the time to productively keep their mouths shut and dedicatedly think outside the proverbial "box", neat stuff CAN result. You're doing the same thing that guys like Ol' Ron and others on here have done for eons...just tryin' to see exactly how much can actually be wrung-out of Henry's old flatmotor. Your rendition is "top shelf"! Please keep 'em coming. DD
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #40
Junknshit
Banned

Thank you V8 COOPMAN,you probably just saved me from getting banned from the Barn. You said what I was putting together to post in a much nicer way than I was going to. Ol Ron, Virgel, a guy that posted about cams, I think Pete, and others, and now hopefully Kerker, What a great bunch of knowledge being shared. I'm 69 and I still suck up all that I can.
Junknshit is offline   Reply With Quote