Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #21
chuckstinn

Default Re: Three interesting pictures

Neil
I did get a ticket in the 50’s in my ’49 Chevy (sorry) for being "too low" and believe it or not for “excessive acceleration” (drag racing), but not for being souped up.
chuckstinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #22
1931 flamingo

Pic #1...........perhaps they mean bendix teeth?
Pic #2.........Even had headers back then.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #23
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
In the Peterson Publishing Woudenberg book referenced there is a photo of what is described as "... open-side Delivery 1/2 ton. Body roof extends over the top of the cab and the truck is minus the windshield visor." There is no mention of it being a B-66, rather, it has angled tops on the sides, as on a typical Ford bed and there is no body side reveal on the bed sides. With it having open sides and the angled tops there are no side rails as on the Model A Deluxe Pickup. The open-side Delivery from 1932 looks like the kind of vehicle that might have been popular with vegetable salesmen.
I'd have to agree that the truck on the Pacific Coast Highway was probably custom built, but regardless, those side rails on it sure look like the style Ford used on the 66-A.
Are you looking at something that says it is custom built rather than one of the 68 that Ford made?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #24
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Are you looking at something that says it is custom built rather than one of the 68 that Ford made?

Charlie Stephens
No, my statement that it may have been custom was based upon my assumption that none were built since it was a sales failure in '31. Further searching led me to the information in my second post about the 68 produced in 1932.
Here is a photo scanned from page 30 of "Ford In The Thirties" showing the open-side Delivery as Woudenberg described it-

The 66-A was put to market when General Electric ordered 125 units of a pickup with a sturdier box for handling heavy appliances and apparently they were looking for a "dressier" truck too. Ford ordered 325 of the special bodies from Briggs, but by September 1931 with only 99 sold (in addition to the GE trucks) production was halted with 293 built. Why they chose to go ahead and build 68 in 1932 is anyone's guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (74.7 KB, 18 views)