Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
Wrenchy61

Default Hood Alignment

Howdy,

I am having some difficulty aligning the hood on my 1931 Model A pickup after doing a frame up restoration. The problem is that the rear hood hinge retainer needs about 1/8 an inch more space between it and the cowl band in order to align with its mounting screws.

I have used up all the adjustment in the radiator rods moving the radiator away from the cowl and still not enough space. The radiator now is leaning slightly forward at the top. I believe the mounting holes of the radiator are slotted with which I could straighten up the radiator but still would not have enough room for the hood hinge retainer.

I have considered grinding the hinge pin 1/8" shorter but still about 1/8 inch is needed to have a margin along the front and rear edge of the hood to the cowl an radiator shroud.

The hood is brand new and measures the same as the old hood. The hood lines up quite well with the cowl and the radiator shroud that have new lacing. The problem is with clearance for the retainer.

I measured the distance between the front face of the cowl just above the first cab mounting bolt with the doughnut shims to the near side of the hole in the frame for the hood bumper. The measurement on both sides is 11 3/8 inches. If I jack the cab back toward the box, would I gain another 1/16" or would shimming under the cab bring the cowl up and gain the required distance? Maybe I should place a framing square on the frame to determine if the cab is at 90 degrees to the frame or isn't this required.

This Model A has been in the family since 1931. I used the original wood blocks with new bolts and new shims of an equal amount to the old at the exact same places. The frame is not bent at the motor mounts.

Is there any book or manual with any dimensions or checking procedure for the correct installation of the cab? Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Maury
Wrenchy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:47 AM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Hood Alignment

Did you ascertain that your frame was straight and square when you were doing your rebuild? Did you use your original radiator and radiator shell, and keep your original rear hood retainer? Is the center hood rod the correct length? If yes to all these things, I would loosen the body bolts on the cab and trying to scoot it back to get more clearance (remove your steering column support and radiator rods). If no to any of these things, I would look there for the source of the problem. Photos might clarify your situation for us.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:49 AM   #3
Wrenchy61

Thanks for the quick reply. I have checked all these items. The original radiator and rods, the cab, the frame and everything is strictly stock. No modifications or abuse of any kind. The mileage is only 71.767 miles.

I am going to try to bolt a block to the hood bumper hole in the frame and place a jack between this and the front of the cowl at the first mounting bolt. I realize to be sure to remove the steering column clamp and loosen the steering gear box bolts. I will be sure to loosen all the bolts on the cab too. I hope to gain better than 1/16 inch in the mounting bolt hole tolerance. Maybe there is more.

I realize that the cowl band being of just painted steel is slightly wider than the original cowl band. This too is another variance.

I am simply puzzled why such a change in this dimension end to end hood dimension.

Take care,
Maury
Old 09-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
700rpm

I am still concerned about your frame. Pickups were typically used pretty hard, and frames got bent. Being stock is not the same as being straight. Did you check the frame for straightness when the body was off? Also, did all this fit OK before disassembly? If so, what changed? Only the new hood? If only that, there lies your trouble.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
townsedan29

Your cowl band should have some adjustment to give you some space also I have found that the rear hood retainer has different shapes and lenghths. you could also try shimming under the retainer as it goes up it should be able to go back hope this helps
townsedan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Wrenchy61

Thanks for the help. I checked the frame before it was sand blasted and epoxy painted. I could find no deficiencies as to being bent, twisted, or out of square.
Dad only drove this to town for errands and did very little hauling of anything.

I am going to follow your suggestions and with a push back of the cab, grinding the end of the hinge pin and moving the bottom of the radiator forward may just allow sufficient spacing.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Wrenchy61

I will consider your suggestion on the cowl band. If I can't get the adequate spacing, I will try this as a last resort. Thanks for the help.