Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
harleytoprock

Default Horn, light switch issue

Hello Folks! I'm new here and just got my first Model A. Its a 1930 2 door sedan and I've got a lot to learn. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you kind folks could give me some direction.
1. With the gas cap, after rotating, I can lift the cap up and down about 1/16" as if the gasket is not thick enough. Could this be because the gas strainer is missing?

2.Crazy problem with the light switch. When making turns the the knob will sometimes rotate to the on position. It gets worse. When the headlights are turned on, the horn will beep constantly. With the headlights off, I can beeb the horn with no issues and the headlights don't come on. I'm not really sure where to start looking.
Any help is appreciated!
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
glenn in camino

Default Re: Horn, light switch issue

You need to remove your horn rod, clean it up with sand paper, check it for straightness, grease it some, and reinstall it. Unless you have an open car, you might have to remove the steering column to get the horn rod out.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
oldwoodsman

had the same problem. turned out the spider at the lower end of the horn rod wasn't engaging the light switch properly.
oldwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytoprock View Post
Hello Folks! I'm new here and just got my first Model A. Its a 1930 2 door sedan and I've got a lot to learn. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you kind folks could give me some direction.
1. With the gas cap, after rotating, I can lift the cap up and down about 1/16" as if the gasket is not thick enough. Could this be because the gas strainer is missing?

Actually it's a flame arrestor, and no the arrestor being missing will not caust that to happen, add a gasket. Please remember that the gas and radiator covers will fit on each other but the gas cap has a vent and the radiator does not.

2.Crazy problem with the light switch. When making turns the the knob will sometimes rotate to the on position. It gets worse. When the headlights are turned on, the horn will beep constantly. With the headlights off, I can beeb the horn with no issues and the headlights don't come on. I'm not really sure where to start looking.

Reproduction light harnesses do not have a good solid detent allowing poor connections.
Any help is appreciated!
WELCOME to the hobby, and many years of enjoyment with your car.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 08-16-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:56 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Does the bail wire hold the switch tightly to the column?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
harleytoprock

Thank you to all that responded. After a closer look, I think I have a radiator cap on the gas tank. I'll just order a new one.
I also noticed that the light switch housing can be easily rocked back and forth. It seems to fit loosely in the collar bracket thingy that is mounted with two small bolts. I'll run a few tests and will probably pull apart the switch and maybe pull out the light switch rod.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
portside

I believe that there were 3 different lengths of horn rods. Make sure you have the right one. There is also a small brass bushing that goes in the steering shaft before you install the horn rod. It is designed to stop the horn rod from turning with the steering wheel,
portside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
oldwoodsman

Remove the throttle and spark linkage, the bolts that hold the gear box to the frame and the clamp under the gas tank. This will give you enough room to pull the horn rod out in the car.
oldwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
29er

This is a timely thread because I was having the same issue (headlights would go on when I turned left... I thought it was a message from Hillary ).

Anyway, fearing I would have to remove the horn rod, I started with the simplest possible fix: I disassembled the light switch and found some grease had leaked into it from the steering box. I took apart the switch, wiped out the grease and polished up the contacts. All is well now!

What I learned:

(1) wipe out the light switch occasionally (in fact the Book of Les recommends this each 1,000 miles)

(2) Start with the simplest thing first

Thanks (and welcome to FB), Harley!

Mike in Oregun.
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:55 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
This is a timely thread because I was having the same issue (headlights would go on when I turned left... I thought it was a message from Hillary ).

Anyway, fearing I would have to remove the horn rod, I started with the simplest possible fix: I disassembled the light switch and found some grease had leaked into it from the steering box. I took apart the switch, wiped out the grease and polished up the contacts. All is well now!

What I learned:

(1) wipe out the light switch occasionally (in fact the Book of Les recommends this each 1,000 miles)

(2) Start with the simplest thing first

Thanks (and welcome to FB), Harley!

Mike in Oregun.
GREASE! there should be no grease in the steering box.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
29er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
GREASE! there should be no grease in the steering box.
Mike V:

My bad; I misspoke. "Grease" in the generic sense; what's in there is actually the proper "600W" gear oil. In this case, gravity is not our friend because the steering box gear oil leaks into the light switch. If not cleaned out, it can mess with lighting system and horn.

Thanks for catching my error.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
harleytoprock

When I jiggeled the switch housing or pushed it up tighter the horn would stop beeping with the headlights on. I have it apart now and found the spyder retainer half on and cocked. I pulled out the light rod and found the upper bushing missing from the steering shaft. So, I ordered a new light switch rod ( the tube was not in good shape), clip, bushing and bail wire. I think the bail wire may be stretched out and not holding the switch assembly tight enough. So hopefully when it goes back together it will work fine.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
29er

Hey Harley: When you get your parts and get the switch put back together, let us know if all's well. It's nice to know how these problems work out.

Thanks!

Mike in Oregon
Old 08-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

BTW, back in #5 I asked about the bail wire because the light switch has two different length covers and bail wires. My 28 and 29 have the short cover and bail wire.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #15
Bob C

Also don't be surprised if the repro parts need work to make them fit.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:15 AM   #16
Wrenchy61

If the head lights turn on when making a left turn, check the small split copper sleeve on the light switch shaft just inside the hollow steering gear shaft and just below the horn button. If this split copper sleeve is missing or excessively worn, the light switch shaft will turn with the steering wheel as if you manually turned on the lights.
Wrenchy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #17
29er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchy61 View Post
If the head lights turn on when making a left turn, check the small split copper sleeve on the light switch shaft just inside the hollow steering gear shaft and just below the horn button. If this split copper sleeve is missing or excessively worn, the light switch shaft will turn with the steering wheel as if you manually turned on the lights.

Thanks for the tip, Wrenchy. I'll remember it if I continue to have problems . For now, just cleaning up the switch seems to have solved the problem you describe.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #18
DANA BIZZELL

Mike, can split copper sleeve under steering wheel be replaced without completely pulling horn tube.
Thanks
dana
DANA BIZZELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANA BIZZELL View Post
Mike, can split copper sleeve under steering wheel be replaced without completely pulling horn tube.
Thanks
dana
Yes, just remove the C clip on the bottom end and slide the horn rod up a few inches. The thin sleeve is split and can be slid into place. At least it worked for me.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
29er

Thanks Tom.. Here's a link from Snyder's describing the "light rod bushing":

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/515