Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Wisconsinjimmy

Default 1929 Roof

I get a lot of questions from people that see the A why does it not have a steel roof, and I am wondering this myself any answers to this question?
Wisconsinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: 1929 Roof

I have heard that the technology was not quite available for steel roofs at the time model A's were built. Model A's were made and put together in sections. I think it was difficult to make a steel roof strong enough and straight enough for cars manufactured in the 20's and early 30's. Obviously, the technology progressed and in the mid 30's and later cars came with steel tops.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Wisconsinjimmy

Thank you Rusty, I was thinking along your lines I also was thinking we are not to far from the buggy era, as we were still using wood as the main structural component, I came across this sight and it was an eye opener as to how the cars of the era held up to accidents.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_...th/5687691584/
Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
txturbo

There are panels on a model a that are way more complex than a roof. There has to be some other reason. After all , there was a steel roof truck cab available at that time(30-31). Maybe it was a cost issue

Last edited by txturbo; 11-05-2013 at 11:47 AM.
txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
wrndln

txturbo,
I can't think of a fairly flat panel on a model A as large as a roof on a fordor or tudor. I still think the technology was not quite available, but to each his own.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
txturbo

The flatter parts are the easy ones to make. Not near as hard as a fender or quarter panel.
txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

"Maybe" the solid roofs were NOT used, to accomodate the flexing of the body & frame over UNEVEN terrain?? Bill W.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
31apickup

As was stated, the technology of stamping such a large panel was a problem. The first Ford all metal roof appeared in August of 31 on the late 31 Pick-up and trucks stamped by the Budd company. 32-34 trucks continued with a metal roof with an improved design.
31apickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

There were likely two issues;
First the larger the panel, the larger the die, --or dies.

Second, when there is compound curves involved, the tonnage requirement goes up exponentially. Remember that Ford was a cutting-edge industrialist with large financial resources back in the day however many sub-contractors (i.e.: Murray, Briggs, etc.) did not have the huge pressing capability like Ford did nor could they afford to purchase large presses in multiple locations for contract work. Also one needs to realize that the coachcrafting methods utilized on these vehicles were more than satisfactory at giving the customer a value for many years. In the latter 30's, the pricing and availability of larger presses and commonality of large multi-step dies made the all-steel car much more feasible.

Below are some pictures I took several years ago of my son at Antique Auto Sheetmetal in Ohio as they were pressing 28/29 Roadster quarters and drip rails. The size of that press was boggling yet nothing in comparison to what it would take to roof assemblies or complex stampings.

Something worth noting is the die that is in the press is used to stamp rumble seat drip rails. The last picture is of the "mate" to that die setting on the floor. Notice how much just the one half of that die weighs!! Consider the size of the piece it makes. Now consider the weight that a quarter panel die will weigh. Remember that in production, dies were manufactured with strict tolerance and had to be done on manual machining equipment. How big of a milling machine do you think it takes to create dies for quarters and body panels?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1151.jpg (77.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1150.jpg (61.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1152.jpg (69.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1148.jpg (73.3 KB, 101 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

lets not forget the wood slats were a LOT less money than sheet metal!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
Wisconsinjimmy

Did I read that right at about 9 thousand pounds weight? I watched a video of the Ford plant stamping Side panels and what a poetry in motion as there were multiple dies in a row each doing there own little part to the panel. I worked for Brown Tank Car company and to fab the rear of a tanker a very large hunk of stainless was put into the die and it dropped wow shook most of the plant each hit. I do believe the tech was not ready at this time.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
There were likely two issues;
First the larger the panel, the larger the die, --or dies.

Second, when there is compound curves involved, the tonnage requirement goes up exponentially. Remember that Ford was a cutting-edge industrialist with large financial resources back in the day however many sub-contractors (i.e.: Murray, Briggs, etc.) did not have the huge pressing capability like Ford did nor could they afford to purchase large presses in multiple locations for contract work. Also one needs to realize that the coachcrafting methods utilized on these vehicles were more than satisfactory at giving the customer a value for many years. In the latter 30's, the pricing and availability of larger presses and commonality of large multi-step dies made the all-steel car much more feasible.

Below are some pictures I took several years ago of my son at Antique Auto Sheetmetal in Ohio as they were pressing 28/29 Roadster quarters and drip rails. The size of that press was boggling yet nothing in comparison to what it would take to roof assemblies or complex stampings.

Something worth noting is the die that is in the press is used to stamp rumble seat drip rails. The last picture is of the "mate" to that die setting on the floor. Notice how much just the one half of that die weighs!! Consider the size of the piece it makes. Now consider the weight that a quarter panel die will weigh. Remember that in production, dies were manufactured with strict tolerance and had to be done on manual machining equipment. How big of a milling machine do you think it takes to create dies for quarters and body panels?

Do you remember what tonnage that clearing press was? At work we have a 50 ton press. stamps bulldozer transmission clutch plates out of 1/4" thick steel plates. Its GREAT when it gets bound up on a down cycle...NOT

Dont forget the time it would take to mill such a die once/if they found a mill large enough. Remember this would have been all hand done none of the fancy CNC controlled stuff we got now. Probably wasn't cost effictive to do such work for the foor when they've learned canvas and wood was good enough. Same basic principles apply today, stamped sheet metal ribs with a thin sheetmetal roof over it.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
QGolden

And they were not hydraulic presses like we now have, they were actuated with flywheels, and a press large enough to do a full roof would have a set of massive flywheels to behold

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
Roadster62

I still think the rear section of my '29 Steelback 60C is the largest body panel made in the Model A era. Three pieces machine welded together. Bob
Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
bart78

I would think a lot of it would be just cost. I think Ford was more interested in making a car for the masses. And and loss their asses in 27. And could not keep up with production. I would think they were trying to save a dime where ever.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote