Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Tikker

Default '52 Customline Amp Gauge

Having an issue with my amp gauge.
I replaced the wiring from the generator to the regulator, they were toasted, well kinda, just hardened and loosing insulation.

The amp gauge shows no charge or discharge, before or after I replaced the wiring noted.
I actually installed, temporarily, an after market amp gauge I had on hand and it indicated good charge (amps) when appropriate. I installed this directly at the regulator connections.
Any suggestions as to where to start to test the in dash amp gauge?
I'm at a loss...plus the access to view the wiring at the dash cluster is difficult, at best.
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl
Default Re: '52 Customline Amp Gauge

Turn on the headlights without the motor running, the neddle on the amp gauge should move toward the "D" on the gauge showing a discharge.
if it does your gauge is working, if it doesn't move you have a bad gauge or wiring problem or loose connection.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Tikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
Turn on the headlights without the motor running, the neddle on the amp gauge should move toward the "D" on the gauge showing a discharge.
if it does your gauge is working, if it doesn't move you have a bad gauge or wiring problem or loose connection.
Appreciate the response, but there is nothing you're telling me that I don't already know, basic knowledge.
I was looking for information as to how to test the gauge or where to start with the wiring as a possible problem.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
trainguy

Tinkker,I belive that jdl suggested a easy way to check if the amp meter is working.Normally ampmeters dont fail the problem is most likely elswere.Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Tikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
Tinkker,I belive that jdl suggested a easy way to check if the amp meter is working.Normally ampmeters dont fail the problem is most likely elswere.Phil
Your input at least heads me in a direction, my point in replying to jdl was I already knew the in dash amp gauge wasn't working. My inquiry was how to test the gauge, beyond the basic as noted by jdl, with your belief that the gauges normally do not fail, I'll go the route of trying to trace the wiring. Not the easiest approach but I'm thinking it is the most likely to produce the results I'm looking for.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Tikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
Just a follow-up on my search.
I traced the wires, using my wiring diagram (unfortunately it shows an idiot light and not a gauge) but it gave me enough information to know what to look for.
Found no faults with the wiring, and the wire that runs through the "loops" of the amp gauge was hot.
So made sense to me to install my after market amp gauge between that wire and the "buss" it was connected to.
That amp gauge showed an appropriate discharge.....so as unusual as it may be, my in dash amp gauge is faulty.
I appreciate the input that headed me in the right direction.