Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #61
petew

Default Re: sparks around spark plugs...

Just went through this with my freshly rebuilt A engine . Very similar symptoms to yours . I changed the condenser and it stopped missfiring , smoothed right out .
I originally thought that my problem was fuel mixture but the occasional popping led me to the condenser .
I don't know what test Mr Andrews has for them but I would try a new one anyway.
My second target would be the coil but I believe I read that you have changed that already.
petew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #62
BILL WILLIAMSON

I knew 2 guys that fought poor runnin' for weeks! Popped in NEW plugs & VOILLE'! Plugs ARE a wear out/disposable part! When buying a toilet part, buy 2! When buying plugs, buy 2 or 3 sets. Those Autolight plugs are cheap & perform extremely WELL. Once plugs are sandblasted, they're NOT long for this world. Bill W.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #63
tbirdtbird
BANNED

his 'misfiring' is because of visible HV leakage around the plugs to ground.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #64
robw

Ok, so... new plugs, new condenser, new coil... this is additive to the new distributor cap & cover and points...

cranked it up... same nonsense...

pulled the carb yet again... blew out all the jets... again... put it back on and try it...

ta da! engine starts and the acceleration problem is gone.. or mostly gone...

still idling a little rough... tightened the manifold bolds a bit more, don't seem to have a vacuum leak any more. adjusted the carb.

still seems to run a little rough. drivable.. but still rough.

after it got dark tonight I checked for the light show... didn't see anything...

closer, not there yet.

rob
robw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #65
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw View Post
Ok, so... new plugs, new condenser, new coil... this is additive to the new distributor cap & cover and points...

cranked it up... same nonsense...

pulled the carb yet again... blew out all the jets... again... put it back on and try it...

ta da! engine starts and the acceleration problem is gone.. or mostly gone...

still idling a little rough... tightened the manifold bolds a bit more, don't seem to have a vacuum leak any more. adjusted the carb.

still seems to run a little rough. drivable.. but still rough.

after it got dark tonight I checked for the light show... didn't see anything...

closer, not there yet.

rob
OK OK one more thing off the list, no light show. If blowing out the carb worked temporarily then you must be getting junk in the carb from the tank along with a possible air leak in the area of the butterfly shaft.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #66
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
OK good going; for the record do not overtighten the manifold nuts, that manifold has to move as it expands and contracts....else it will crack...

Also, be sure your gas line doesn't go too far into the carb and bottom out and thus block fuel flow..

keep us posted...
Old 05-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #67
noboD

I had trouble with my neigbor's old car. The top radiator hose dripped and when the car sat it for weeks would miss when started. The front spark plug actually rusted under the washer, no antifreeze, and would not fire. I check for continuity and there was none. Even with the threads the plug was not grounded. Cleaned the area under the washer and it was fixed. Might want to check with an ohm meter?
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #68
robw

So today, before I left for the week... I had to make a run to the Dump... so I loaded the stuff up in the Model A and headed out to give it a good run... it is about a 7 mile trip each way. Four of those miles each way is good wide open highway.

It is still idling a little rough and the roughness does not really go away at higher speeds.

But it runs... It drove all the way there like a champ. On the highway it easily ran 55 mph without pushing it very hard. Engine temp stayed pretty normal too. The motometer is very active... so I was pleased to see the temp staying put as I cruised at high speed.

Whatever is causing it to idle rough... it is not that serious I suppose. It ran smoother previously... I'll get it that way again eventually.
robw is offline   Reply With Quote