Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
ldj1002

Default Remove steering wheel

How to remove steering wheel on a 26? How much play is too much? Is there an adjustment to remove slack if there is too much play?
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Model T Monte

Default Re: Remove steering wheel

The steering wheel is on a short shaft that is keyed, all of mine so far have been fairly easy. Just remove the nut and tap very litely with a small hammer. When steering wheel is off, the larger knurled section will have a small screw in the knurled part if memory serves me correctly. remove and thenn the round knurled part will un-screw. Underneath that you will find a set of planetary gears. check for wear and slop. I know you have already checked all the obvious other placesfor slack or worn bushings so good luck to you.
Model T Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
John Otis

Send a message via AIM to John Otis Send a message via Yahoo to John Otis

You can usually pop the the steering wheel right off but you might need a puller. Any play is too much. These are glorified go-carts and really touchy in the steering department. I have always been a big fan of the spring loaded ball caps in the steering. Usually the steering gears up top don't wear that much. Sometimes the top bushing on the steering shaft (which is also the gearcase) has a lot of slop even though the gears and pins are still tight.. Make sure the steering wheel key is as tight as can be and also the woodruff key on the pitman arm MUST be very snug. Also make sure the ball on the pitman arm is perfectly round.
John Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
ldj1002

Thanks for tips. My steering wanders, no shimmy. I have checked everything except steering gear. I have 2"+ play. When to remove steering wheel and it doesn't want to come off. I would hate to brake somethng.
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
yachtsmanbill

How about the propeller puller I had to use? This is for 32 inch props from a 65 foot Hatteras. ws

Remove that little screw ALL THE WAY and you can unscrew the panetary gears' cover and take the wheel with it to the bench. This one was a BEAR to get off. Been outside since 1970.
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote